Thread: Ruger SR556

Default Ruger SR556

Just picked up a Ruger SR556 now its time to figure out some optics for it. It will be used for home defense/varmint hunting/target shooting. Curious what the experts recommend. Also what ammo should I start with to keep fur damage to a minimum its a 1:9 twist?

The only way to combine a home defense AR with varmint shooting is to use one of the many illuminated reticle 1x4 or 1x6 scopes out there. They allow quick target acquisition at 1x with both eyes open. The least expensive scope I have found that I would trust my life to is a Vortex Viper PST. I equip my AR's expected to provide self defense with Bobro quick detach mounts and run back up iron sights. I have found that most any 55 gr solids work pretty well on fur.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was just on Barnes website any thoughts on the varmint grenade bullets in 50gr?

Attachment 66523
    Couldnt get the picture I took to load but this is what she looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The only way to combine a home defense AR with varmint shooting is to use one of the many illuminated reticle 1x4 or 1x6 scopes out there. They allow quick target acquisition at 1x with both eyes open. The least expensive scope I have found that I would trust my life to is a Vortex Viper PST. I equip my AR's expected to provide self defense with Bobro quick detach mounts and run back up iron sights. I have found that most any 55 gr solids work pretty well on fur.
    Good luck buying solids, they all have been pulled except for the large calibers that don't come in assault platforms. Next best to a solid in 22 is an FMJ.

The craziness the last couple days has limited supply, but nobody has said they have pulled them. I didn't look today, but several places had pulled mil surplus solids available yesterday. There were still stocks of UMC 55gr solids available yesterday too. No matter what, if you haven't bought .223 in ANY flavor already you will likely be S.O.L. tomorrow. Shop some of the smaller places like Mat-Su Tactical and see what they have left. They aren't going to pull solids off the shelf because of some stupid corporate policy.

I haven't used Varmint grenades. I do have friends that have used the Hornady V-max with good results. They don't exit and explode inside coyotes.

Boondocks told me they had to take them off the shelf as the could not sell them any longer. That was when I was in there last month. Couldn't find any on any web site either and the Barnes web site no longer offers them.

The craziness the last couple days has limited supply, but nobody has said they have pulled them. I didn't look today, but several places had pulled mil surplus solids available yesterday. There were still stocks of UMC 55gr solids available yesterday too. No matter what, if you haven't bought .223 in ANY flavor already you will likely be S.O.L. tomorrow. Shop some of the smaller places like Mat-Su Tactical and see what they have left. They aren't going to pull solids off the shelf because of some stupid corporate policy.

I haven't used Varmint grenades. I do have friends that have used the Hornady V-max with good results. They don't exit and explode inside coyotes.
    Here is a statement from Barnes.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-cont...olids-2012.pdf

Gotcha, you were specifically meaning Barnes. Other solids were available until today. Now, even the largest distributors are out of anything that is relatively inexpensive for .223/5.56 reloading. What's funny is that M855 green tip and M855 pulled bullets are available with no restrictions if you can find them??

Gotcha, you were specifically meaning Barnes. Other solids were available until today. Now, even the largest distributors are out of anything that is relatively inexpensive for .223/5.56 reloading. What's funny is that M855 green tip and M855 pulled bullets are available with no restrictions if you can find them??
    I see, so could you make a recomendation for a 6mm solid? I can't seem to find any.

I put a 4x32 scope on it until I can decide on what I want on it and who knows that just might stay there. Just have to find some ammo and start plinking and maybe chasing some coyotes or wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I put a 4x32 scope on it until I can decide on what I want on it and who knows that just might stay there. Just have to find some ammo and start plinking and maybe chasing some coyotes or wolves.
    Barber, I apologize for the distracting side bar. Your going to love that rifle. For predator hunting you'll want something in the variable 2-10 range. For close combat like home and stuff you should look at an EOTEC or AimPoint Comp 4. Leupold has a nice optic that might cross both I think it's called the VX-R Patrol or Mark 4 HAMR, both of which will cost about the same as the rifle. I put a Tactical Prismatic from Leupold on mine and it's pretty darn good. Less than the Aim Point. Only draw back I have issue with is the Comp has a larger diameter tube which I like.

I've used the Eotech on my M4 while in Iraq a few years ago and liked it quite a bit minus the no magnification. I hate AimPoints though.

Ruger dropped the SR556 from production... That rifle will be like the famed Springfield SAR48 here real soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post

Typical of BATFEces pukes creative license regulate everything out of existence. The dumbass thugs don't seem to realize that most rifle ammunition is capable of piercing armor.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Ruger dropped the SR556 from production... That rifle will be like the famed Springfield SAR48 here real soon...
    Got bored and came back I see.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Got bored and came back I see.
    And I see you posted another worthless thread "hey golly gees guys I bought a SR556 what should I shoot out of it" yep post of the year for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    And I see you posted another worthless thread "hey golly gees guys I bought a SR556 what should I shoot out of it" yep post of the year for sure...
    I figured you would like it.... Say do you think I can use it for brown bear?