Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY the recent surge in AR sales??

Default WHY the recent surge in AR sales??

Why is everyone scooping up every AR or "assault" rifle they can find? Everyone heard about the recent tragedy in Newtown, but what is driving people get grab all these types of guns now? I saw a guy bought (4) AR-15s and another guy must have had at least (40) 30rd clips. I almost got swept up in the frenzy, then I stepped back and asked myself, WHY?? I wasn't looking at buying one last week, why now? The only reason I can see is...
    1. They might be banned, so get'em while you can
    2. Reselling at a premium price (investment)
    3. Doomsday preppers?
    4. Protection? if so from who?

Let me say I am not in favor of restrictions or bans. You can't help but smile after dumping an entire clip in a short amount of time. Just curious for your reasons
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I've had buddies calling around down here, obviously more shops than up there. All black rifles are flying off the shelf. All high cap mags are gone. Most distributors are back ordered and back ground check are running three days. I think it's all about the fear of not being able to buy one in the near future. I grabbed a G20 so I could get the high cap mags now, perhaps they will be 10 rounders soon.

I hear ya, I just thought it was funny that I didn't want one til there was a potential that someone would say I CAN"T have one.!! I guess it was more of a defiance thing. Right before the last ban, I bought a Colt AR-15. I loved that gun and had a great time shooting it, but I ended up selling it later to buy a 300 win mag. I had my mini 14 to fall back on for plinking
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

The rifles and high capacity magazines are being bought by the same guys who sucked the shelves dry when Obama was elected the first time. I seen plenty of guys on one forum buy 20-30 lowers during a group buy 4 years ago because they were convinced the Prez would outlaw them, which he didnt. If AR's or high capacity magazines are outlawed at some future point you will have plenty of notice.
    Look at it this way, in 12 months these guys will be dumping these at a loss. If you want one just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Why is everyone scooping up every AR or "assault" rifle they can find?
    Well, not everyone is. Some of us had no use for one last week, and will have no use for one next week. Some of us didn't run out and buy 20 cases of Twinkies last month either...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The answer will be clear in January. If you want, or may want, an AR-15, AK-47, etc.. and the high capacity mags to go with, now is the time. I rode all over NC today looking for a rifle, no luck. Can't find guns, 223 ammo, magazines, reloading dies, bullets, brass, etc.. Nothing! A knee jerk reaction? Sure, happens often in the gun industry. But MANY people feel under the Obama administration, given the recent political climate, recent tragedy that I can't even speak of, etc.. a tightening of our gun laws is on the horizon. This time the fear may be well founded. I got one AR-15 on order, may or may not get it. I found an Arsenal AK-47 in Florida and will hear tomorrow if it is still available. But make no mistake about it, this may be the time to get a 'black rifle' if you have any interest in such a weapon. This past week, people have been literally standing in line at gun shops to pay $1000 for $650 AK-47's and $2000 for $1400 AR-15's. Problem now, in recent days, the supply has seemingly been exhausted. Go to Google and see where you can find bulk 223 ammo. Ain't none.

Dan

#4 I LOVE My Country, I fear and loath my government.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post

If AR's or high capacity magazines are outlawed at some future point you will have plenty of notice.

Part of my logical side feels the same way, but there are two words I have heard thrown around this week that make me nervous.

Executive order.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Well, not everyone is. Some of us had no use for one last week, and will have no use for one next week. Some of us didn't run out and buy 20 cases of Twinkies last month either...
    OK, so not everyone, and good point about the Twinkies. Same thing happened there. I guess it's just the nature of being told "NO"

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    And some of us who did go out and buy 20 (okay, 25) cases of Twinkies still haven't been buying up ARs. I think we're looking at a tightening of gun laws but not in a way that has much impact on most of us. At any rate I've got no interest in those, anyway. Looking at what's happening in the market it appears that the people who've got the biggest interest in ginning up fears of a gun ban are the big gun dealers. They're making out like, uh, bandits.

That is a fact. Talked to a guy at a gun shop the other day and he said they had been selling over 50 AR-15's a day until they stopped coming in and stocks ran short. That is $70,000+/day in gun sales on AR-15's alone. $450,000 a week? Holy cow. And this is not an overly large gun shop in some big city. A normal size local gun shop in a town of 30,000. Crazy stuff.

Look at it this way, in 12 months these guys will be dumping these at a loss. If you want one just wait.
    LOL I was told that in the 90s and found $20 mags were $50ish after after the AWB was anonced and $100ish after it went into effect. If your ever gonna want the stuff down the road wise money buys it now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I guess they are trying to stimulate the economy with gun sales...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I guess they are trying to stimulate the economy with gun sales...
    I just ordered a upper today just a wee bit over $1,500.00 I figure to get rid of paper dollars and get into things that will hold there value through the inflation that is sure to come.

Once again, President Obama is the gun salesman of the year. 2008 was going to be his best year, but the double whammy of his re-election and his response to the atrocity in CT put 2012 over the top. The 50/50 split in this country is moving apart and many folk's dissatisfaction and distrust of the current politicians in D.C. is rearing it's ugly head.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

While I personally don't have any desire or need for an AR-15, I do like seeing brisk gun sales. Hate that a potential ban/fear issue is driving it but I like to see people exercising their rights. I've also seen people buying several other types of firearms that are unlikely to be affected by any sort of looming ban and that's good to. Maybe a lot of these folks buying up this hardware will think a bit more carefully before they vote next time around.

Heck- every time DC opens their mouth, someone goes out and buys a gun. I need another gun like another hole in the head but I'm feeling the itch myself....

NSSF ought to name Obama "Salesman of the Year"....he deserves it more than his Nobel.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    While I personally don't have any desire or need for an AR-15, I do like seeing brisk gun sales. Hate that a potential ban/fear issue is driving it but I like to see people exercising their rights. I've also seen people buying several other types of firearms that are unlikely to be affected by any sort of looming ban and that's good to. Maybe a lot of these folks buying up this hardware will think a bit more carefully before they vote next time around.

Heck- every time DC opens their mouth, someone goes out and buys a gun. I need another gun like another hole in the head but I'm feeling the itch myself....

NSSF ought to name Obama "Salesman of the Year"....he deserves it more than his Nobel.
    I agree with everything you just said +1!!!

hodgeman - I second the agreement !!

Isn't fearing they will be banned and you won't legally be allowed to own one the same as fearing your gov't? It isn't the tooth fairy dreaming up new restrictions for us to swallow.... People are buying because they fear the gov't if you digest it all...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

...you'll have plenty of notice. Look at it this way, in 12 months these guys will be dumping these at a loss. If you want one just wait.
    It will be great if your right. But, for as little as I watch TV, within the last 3 days I've come across clips of the president saying "I want action by January"! at least 3 times. I think that was the "notice".

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast