Thread: youth backpacks

Default youth backpacks

Anyone have any info/advice regarding a good frame pack for an eleven year old? I want something light but also quality made. He won't be carry a lot of weight but I am thinking external rather than internal. We are going on a moose hunt and I want to start gathering up some gear. Those of you who have taken your kids hunting, what have you used? Thanks so much.

Although not an external frame pack, my 12 yr old son uses my Kuiu Icon 3000. Pack is crazy lite, has the carbon frame system, adjustable shoulder height, and can handle any amount of weight that he can carry. He also uses a Badlands 2200 that can also handle any weight he can haul. Good luck on the hunt.

Lily used a 3,500 cu in Badlands pack this fall. When filled with essentials it was a manageable load for her.

Default Youth packs

DSCN1335.jpg

I did a lot of research on youth packs and my daughter tried on quite a few. we ended up getting her the Kelty Youth pack.

Default youth backpacks

I got my 10yo one of the osprey youth internal frame packs and be loves it. Not a frame pack but super comfortable and it has the same build as their mountaineering packs, just scaled down.

The Kelty Jr Tioga is a decent frame pack for a youngster - dealing with kids and packs in this age/size range demands trying them on in person.

Check out http//lucky bums.com. They also have good quality outdoor clothing for kids (camoflage). My grandkids 9-15 have some packs and clothing My daughter tried on something that her daughter got from my son and said that perhaps she should have gotten some of that instead of her Sitka...

Looked at the Osprey Ace 48 pack, the Kuiu, the Kelty and one from Badlands. I found one that Rei makes called the Passage that looks like like it could work as well. One nice feature about the REI model is it's adjustable so that as the kids grow the pack can grow with them. Decisions decisions...thanks a lot for your help lads.

DSCN0388.jpg

My son uses the Osprey "Jib 35"- reasonably good pack with a pretty good suspension and enough adjustment until he grows into an adult sized pack. Also look at the Kelty external frame youth pack.

He's been pretty happy with it and it carries as much weight as you'd rationally put onto an 11yo.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit