Thread: AK Ferry to Kodiak

Default AK Ferry to Kodiak

Has anybody ridden an ATV onto the ferry at Seward and gone to Kodiak (Port Lyons) to hunt? I'm thinking of a deer hunt and going this route. ATV loaded with gear and a meat wagon.

Thanks and Happy hunting this year!

I've never done it because I live here, but I work near the ferry dock and have seen guys do it. Only problem would be getting someone to pick you up and get you out the road. Its illegal to ride atv's in town or on the road.

TBinKodiak

I sent you a PM.

Thanks for your input to this matter.

Sorry, I didn't see the Port Lions part in your post, I live in Kodiak. I'm sure your fine driving the atv in Port Lions. Just make sure you know where the native land is.

currently in Virginia - moving to Anchorage

Hi,
    I'm going to be new to the Alaska hunting areas, is it more cost effective to just take an ATV onto the ferry --- just trying to find out why just an ATV or a vehicle with the ATV??? Thanks

Does the ferry come from Seward anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Madcowplumber View Post
    Does the ferry come from Seward anymore?
    I don't think so. I believe your choices are Homer or Whittier.

Ferry rates are based on port-to-port distance, # of people, and the length of your vehicle (40 foot limit). If you put the ATV in the truck bed--no extra charge

If you're traveling to Kodiak, then your best bet is Homer--there's ferrys several times a week. Round trip Homer to Kodiak cost me $444 in 05. Me and my 22 ft truck

currently in Virginia - moving to Anchorage

Wow - a lot more pricey than what I was thinking. I didn't know it'd cost that much. Thanks

Ferry stopped going to Seward about 3-4 years ago. Also, park your truck in Homer and just drive your ATV onto the ferry (less length = less money). Juat drive it off in Port Lions and go hunting. Get a map of the native land, or call the city of Port Lions. They are really nice people and will give you the scoop on hunting around the town.