Thread: My bear rig.... for Moose???

Default My bear rig.... for Moose???

My BB Rifle: Blaser .338 win mag with Trijicon 1x4, thinking the bullet choice is a little heavy and the scope a little light. Thinking maybe swap bbl for a 300 win mag with my VX3 3.5x10 would be perfect fit for Yukon Moose and poss Grizz or wolf.

Why....You have a great all Alaskan rifle there.
    BK

+2 .338 is a great caliber for moose (so is .300 win mag). If you want to up grade, get one of those trick, light weight scopes (maybe 3X9 power) that is set up for your balistics...

take a look http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

I'll trade with a Remington 700 XCR 300wm w/ Leica optics.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    +2 .338 is a great caliber for moose (so is .300 win mag). If you want to up grade, get one of those trick, light weight scopes (maybe 3X9 power) that is set up for your balistics...

take a look http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html
    x3.....I'd stay with the 338 as well.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have been using my .338WM topped with a Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII for years, never had any reason to change.

Was thinking the 300 was a better moose cartridge and a long(er) range shooter and a better choice for future elk hunts. Just thinkin.... PS with the Blaser its just buying a new bbl not a new gun.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

TWB beat me to the trade ref...but those barrels are as expensive as the standard rem 300 WM...but I will still trade ya...mine already is topped with your scope of choice...LOL...nice set up!!!...will work for anything up here..

Oh I forgot. Keep your 338. Best all around caliber for Alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Was thinking the 300 was a better moose cartridge and a long(er) range shooter and a better choice for future elk hunts. Just thinkin.... PS with the Blaser its just buying a new bbl not a new gun.
    All of the moose I have killed have been between 130 yards and 27 yards and fell to a single round from my .338WM, with one exception, that was a moose I killed with my .58cal muzzleloader , first round at 50yards, coup de gras at 20 yards. Getting close to moose is generaly easy to do.

Unless you have the cash to burn and are looking to tinker around, you already have the moose rifle many folks aspire to......I wouldn't change. 338 has all the long range you need for moose, and delivers a bunch of energy when it gets there. I use a 1.75x5 on my 338 and think it's perfect for moose, but, if you're the sniper type (I've never shot more than 200 yards at anything) and want bigger glass, then go for it but I think you have a great bear, bou, moose gun.

Actually, to make that the perfect moose rifle, I'd chop 4-5 inches off the barrel.....other than that you have the set up right there.

I fought between the 300 and 338 and decided on the 300 (Tikka SS 300 with VariX III 3.5-10) because I added deer sized animals to the equation. Leave as is if you have the deer rifle covered with another caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    so how far are we talkin... I killed a goat at 330yards with a 416 so I would say if you really like the gun stick with it, it will preform fine..

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    I fought between the 300 and 338 and decided on the 300 (Tikka SS 300 with VariX III 3.5-10) because I added deer sized animals to the equation. Leave as is if you have the deer rifle covered with another caliber.
    A 300 is a fine round and good for anything for sure, but for others struggling with this question, a 338 does a great job on deer and actually does less damage IMHO. My only grump on the 338 is the price of shells.

Wasnt really thinking of trading I have alot invested in the Blaser, this is my 308 set up (took an elk at 304 yards, but it took a few rounds to anchor):

I wouldn't get another rifle in less you really wanted an excuse to get one. If anything get a set of Leupold quick release bases and two sets of rings and just swap out the scope. They return back to zero with in a half MOA.

of all the calibers (.338WM, .300WM and .308) you've mentioned, the .308 is the best wolf round

Here we are discouraging a fine forum member from adding to his toy collection? Tsk tsk my friends. By all means, buy another barrel and a scope to boot. Don't hesitate. Based on what you have I'd think a .30-06 would balance you out nicely though. Way cheaper to feed than a magnum. I don't know anything about the Blasers, but that sounds like a neat system if they allow that big of a change in cartridge selection.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Here we are discouraging a fine forum member from adding to his toy collection? Tsk tsk my friends. By all means, buy another barrel and a scope to boot. Don't hesitate. Based on what you have I'd think a .30-06 would balance you out nicely though. Way cheaper to feed than a magnum. I don't know anything about the Blasers, but that sounds like a neat system if they allow that big of a change in cartridge selection.
    ARR
    lol yes love adding to the toy collection. The 06 seems too close to the 08 though. The 300 balances the 08 338 divide. It is enough to easily put a smack down on a grizz and a little flatter for that long distance wolf shot. I have a few month to decide. But I came here and got really good info b/f my BB hunt and just wanted to tap the brain trust again.