Thread: Skidding trees with an old tundra

Default Skidding trees with an old tundra

I have an old tundra I use for hauling firewood with a siglin. Last winter I started cutting some logs to build a cabin. I have a steel sled that holds one end of the log and attaches to the tundra. It's something I inherited and it is HEAVY! My old tundra needs a running start to move logs, and I plan on moving 20' logs. I had a friend who drew up a log cradle he built, but lost the sheet he drew it on... I have seen different ideas including an UHMW cone for the front of the log.

I need to move a bunch of logs next week and need a way to make it easier. Any ideas?

try an axle with wide tires attatched to the rear of the log...cut the log with extra few feet, notch horizontal slot that will accept axle, then a metal plate with lag screws to stop axle from sliding out

Get a bigger machine.
    Tim

I recently built this for a fella to skid lgs with, he wants to use it with a snowmachine as well and is planning to make skis to strap on to the tires.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

With any sled you come up with about half the battle will be trail preparation. Select your timber, find your route, make your trail, cut your timber and haul it one tree at a time or you may be shoveling and finding your cut trees.

Start your pull down hill if possible and make the trail as straight and level as possible. Sharp corners will foil your pull, you will loose your log and tear up your trail. Often I've had to level my trail with a shovel, shovel in dips, groom it w/a drag, and often I like to use snow shoes. When finished fixing or using your trail after a days pull, groom it with your drag or shovel & snowshoes and leave it over night to firm up. It'll be ready the next day.

I haven't figured out posting pics yet...lazy I guess. Use a sled tongue with a hitch that can accommodate a spring in it. A lifter spring from an auto engine should work and match up 2 or so with large washers in between.

One fellow I know that has built a ton of freight sleds and hauled lots of logs is the owner of "Fish Creek Sales" there on the Palmer Wasilla highway near Palmer. I used to log with him long ago. He and his son would be able to give you some good ideas. Anymore I'd have to go hunt one down too.

You might try just making a sled with a couple of 10' 4"x8"s. A 20' log will hang off the back 8' w/2' ahead of the 4x8" ski fronts. Cover the bottom w/ptex or UHMW if you can afford it. Brace it sweep it up on each end so you can back it up, and then work on rigging your tongue. You could use angle iron, pipe (not my favorite), or square stock. If you have a flapper hitch then make your tongue end to match. Grab a handful of hitch bolts, washers & nuts (cheapest way I found) and you are in business.

Be great to see what others come up with and their pictures too. Lots of good ideas out there! Lots to learn!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

For the bigger logs i built a hitch so i could pull with two machines in tandem like train engines.Don,t use a rope on the ski loops or you will pull the ski inward and break the spindles had solid bar in the ski loops and then connected to hitch on lead machine.

Thanks for all the ideas. I usually make my trail and let it set overnight to harden.

I also found some other ideas on the net
    Here's a buick bumper. Found on this site: http://thehappytrappers2.blogspot.co...bel/Log%20Sled
    Attachment 66530Attachment 66531
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I recently built this for a fella to skid lgs with, he wants to use it with a snowmachine as well and is planning to make skis to strap on to the tires.
    Real nice! I was thinking of building a log arch for summer. Don't know how well the tires will work in the winter.

It would work better to build skis so that you could remove the tire and wheel and bolt on the skis just like the wheel was put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    It would work better to build skis so that you could remove the tire and wheel and bolt on the skis just like the wheel was put on.
    We thought about that, but in the end I think he decided to fashion a set of skis from UHMW to strap onto the tires which should work well. I made the tongue removable so he can take the ball coupler off and change it out with a pintle hitch for pulling with his snowmachine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fallwinter 0809 043 (Small).jpgFallwinter 0809 045 (Small).jpgherespicture of my sled for logs Just pull up to log Pevee onto sled notice the teeth in back bites the log come along over the top way you go
    Attachment 66538Attachment 66539