Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Drawing Stats

Default 2012 Drawing Stats

Here's some interesting drawing stats folks might enjoy:
    Number of applicants 2012- 163,150 up 19% possibly due to the increased moose hunt choices
    2011- 137,142
    2010- 134,620

Number of applicants that applied on Dec. 17th, the last day- 32,019

Great, more applicants. Just what we need. Thanks for the stats.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just imagine how many more people would be on that applicant list is they did not wait until the last minute and got the message
    System response may be slow due to high volume
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Is that the number of applicants (individual people) or the total number of permit applications? As in, do I count as one applicant or do I count as 19, since that is the number of individual permits I applied for?

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Great, more applicants. Just what we need. Thanks for the stats.
    I want to win a permit, but even more I want our Department to be adequately funded so that they can carry out population surveys, research projects, and the like. More applicants equates to more money for the Department, and that seems like a positive thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I want to win a permit, but even more I want our Department to be adequately funded so that they can carry out population surveys, research projects, and the like. More applicants equates to more money for the Department, and that seems like a positive thing.
    You have much more faith than I, that a federal or state agency can adequately or correctly allocate scarce resources. If in fact they are scarce.

Or perhaps I'm just much more selfish than you.

Yeah, I've got a fair bit of skepticism as well, but I do believe that F&G is chronically underfunded. There is a reality to that which harms us as hunters - not being able to do aerial surveys, not having the staff to do basic research, etc. If there is one government agency that I would support having a larger budget, it would be F&G.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Is that the number of applicants (individual people) or the total number of permit applications? As in, do I count as one applicant or do I count as 19, since that is the number of individual permits I applied for?
    I would guess that is the number of permits. Isn't our state population right around 600,000? If this is people, then that means just under 1/3 of the state population applied for permits. When you figure in hunters that don't apply, kids that are too young, non-hunters....it must be permits.

One thing I noticed over the last few years is the draw rate on the DCUA hunts seems to have gone up just a touch. I was thinking there might be fewer applicants now that there are more draw areas in South Central. Maybe people are applying for those rather than the DCUA hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I would guess that is the number of permits. Isn't our state population right around 600,000? If this is people, then that means just under 1/3 of the state population applied for permits.
    What about non-resident applicants?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What about non-resident applicants?
    certainly a bunch are out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    One thing I noticed over the last few years is the draw rate on the DCUA hunts seems to have gone up just a touch. I was thinking there might be fewer applicants now that there are more draw areas in South Central. Maybe people are applying for those rather than the DCUA hunts.
    Good point. While I still oppose the creation of the new draw areas, I suppose there are some ancillary benefits. Hopefully I'll find one of those Delta tags with my name on it this year.

If you don't you Delta Tag Brian you can join me for my Tok and DC001 tags

Ha! I'll likely have to pass on the Tok hunt, as I'll be sheep hunting elsewhere with or without a drawing permit. I'm always game for a walk in the Kenai Mountains, though.

I was hoping you'd take me up on that Kenai trip. Now I just gotta get the permit

Ha! Well, no promises. I'm mostly a weekend warrior in the fall and have a hard time committing to anything very far in advance, but if things worked out, I'd be game.

I thought most all the money generated by F&G went to the general fund,thats why we have gov. tag, money for those tags goes into research and surveys....at least thats the way i remember it....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    I thought most all the money generated by F&G went to the general fund,thats why we have gov. tag, money for those tags goes into research and surveys....at least thats the way i remember it....
    And another F&G revenue stream is the PR funds that are divyed up from the sales of guns/ammo/etc... Which has been going thru the roof for a few years now. But these funds can only be spent on education I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    You have much more faith than I, that a federal or state agency can adequately or correctly allocate scarce resources. If in fact they are scarce.

Or perhaps I'm just much more selfish than you.
    I wonder how much time you spend talking to the Bio in your area?

I make it a point to keep in contact with Bio's that are doing work that interests me. So far I am impressed with the info they have gathered and it is great to chat with people who's job (passion) is to research the animals I love.

A totaling of the permit draw app/results from the previous year (last page of the draw supplement) would likely reveal the units being counted.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I wonder how much time you spend talking to the Bio in your area?

I make it a point to keep in contact with Bio's that are doing work that interests me. So far I am impressed with the info they have gathered and it is great to chat with people who's job (passion) is to research the animals I love.
    How does my interaction with local bios have anything to do with the state's ability to allocate resources? Which is what I'm questioning.

Those bios that I have spent time with certianly have helped me, specificaly Boyd down in Ketchikan. However, the information I gather from the main areas I hunt have nothing to do with the local bios, and everything to do with those folks who fly the areas for a living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast