Thread: Fishing with kids

Default Fishing with kids

Could someone name a few lakes in the Anchorage/Eagle River/Valley area that would be good to take a couple kids fishing. Would be fishing from shore with a 4 and 6 year old. They haven't quite mastered casting so bait fishing would be the best. Also, a place that isn't too crowded.

Thanks

Nathan

Don't know about in ANC, but around here we can't use bait in most freshwater areas...

Kids LOVE boats (at least mine do) so don't discount the idea of a charter and get them out on the salt...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jewel lake, Alder Pond, APU Lake, Delong Lake, Eklutna Lake, Mirror Lake, Sand Lake - too name a only a few. I think most of these are stocked and you may be able to find the stocking times. There are also a few on the bases. Hope they catch some.

I believe Cambell creek will have a kids only salmon fishery again this season. Check the regs for that one to make sure.

Spent about an hour looking at the Game and Fish website. There sure are a lot of lakes in the area.

How much better will the fishing be if I get a little boat/raft and get away from the shore? Looked like a lot of the lakes have private shorelines.

Default Bugs

Usually away from shore there is a little more relief from the bugs. Also many lake shore are a tangle of alders and willows. Getting out a bit can offer you a lot more fishing ground to cover.s

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

jewel lake is notorious for being kid friendly, and usually is full of little stocked bows... not sure about the stocking schedule, but i believe jewel gets a fresh dose of pellet heads (hatchery fish) every year.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

If you wanted to go for a drive go to the Kepler Bradly lake complex near Palmer. I beleive most of them are stocked and they are mostly used by shorefishermen. They used to rent small boats at one of the lakes but I don't know if they still do.

Default Lakes for kids.

"Jewel lake, Alder Pond, APU Lake, Delong Lake, Eklutna Lake, Mirror Lake, Sand Lake...."

These are all good, you could also check the Base lakes. Dont think you can get on Elmendorf since 9/11 if your not military affiliated or have sponsor, but Ft Rich has some. I think you need to take a class to get a permit to use em tho. I used to take my oldest (then 5 - 6) to Sixmile Lake on
    Elmendorf and always caught fish, even got a 22" bow once....(was WAY surprised !!) But 14"- 16" were common.
    If you go to Alder Pond, be especially "bear aware". I ran in to (well my wife and Lab puppy ran into.) a black bear out there that was on some sorta kill. If if wasn't for the dog, who sensed the bear and went nuts, wife would of prolly walked right in to him/her. (**** dog gets away with anything ever since!!! ;-) )

Tight Lines! Hope your kids have fun, wherever you go.

puter.

Beach lake in the evenings is good. It's located alittle past chugiak high. Take a left and drive down this long road. Fish right there where you park. In the evenings when the moquitos hit hit the water the bite is on. Love that place fishing with dry flies. Nothing big there. 8-12 is the normal from what I have seeen. Once in a while you will hook a grayling.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've fished beach lake and fire lake in Eagle River with the kids, it seems like we do better from a canoe than from shore.

The absolute best rainbow fishing we've had is down by Kenai on the Canoe Lake trail system, and also on the East fork of the Moose River with the string of lakes that go in from Watson Lake.

Thumbs up

Ft. Rich and Elmendorf also has some lakes that are kid friendly! Anyone can fish there, but you will have to stop at the gate and get a pass.

Fishing with kids can be challeging but very very rewarding!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the information. Fishing with kids is very challenging. Seems I spend most of my time getting lines untangled, bait on the hooks, and helping land fish. Worth it though. The kids love to be outdoors and love fishing. Maybe when I get old they'll take me fishing.

Default Try Taku

Off of old seward. Next to campbell creek.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thumbs up If you are up for a day trip...

Klambach Lake in the valley...

Go thru Wasilla to Pittman road...turn right on Pittman and go about 2 miles to Beverly Lakes Road...turn right on B. L Road and drive out to LaVerne Griffin Youth Camp...3.2 miles out the road. For $5 day pass, you can use the canoes or paddle boats to get out in the lake...good stocked silvers and rainbows and you don't have to buy a boat! Worms, eggs, small spinners....all work as well as fly fishing, but since you are taking kids, I think you will likely ot be fly fishing.
    Phone # at the camp is 376-6887 Walter and Sherry would be happy to help you out.

Beach Lake was my favorite as a kid hike around the lake to the left of the docks until you get to a grassy patch usually lots of fish around there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.