Thread: green on ermine tail

Default green on ermine tail

I haven't been trapping in a long time, and got two ermine yesterday in my marten boxes. Both of them have green on the tail. I have them stretched and boraxed, but any ideas on what I can do to get rid of the green?

I've always washed mine with Dawn. I think the green is from the glands. It helps with the smell too.

do you put the whole animal in a bucket/bowl with the dawn and clean it or do you spot clean it with a rag?

Supporting Member

The discoloration is from the scent glands discharging when the animal is caught. You can try washing the entire pelt in Dawn dishwashing detergent after skinning or try adding a small amount of liquid laundry "Bluing" to the wash water.

I wash the skin in a sink with dawn, scrubbing it with my hands. Whip it dryish and borax it before I stretch.

Thanks! I will give that a try on my next catch and see if it works.

I will have to consider these two my practice catches. I tore the female pretty bad skinning her and some how the male got a hole in him while I was stretching.

I also didn't realize that you are supposed to ship them fur in, so I guess I am home tanning these guys and throwing on the wall.