Thread: Buying Land in South Bald Mountain?

Default Buying Land in South Bald Mountain?

I'm Buying 2 Lots in that subdivision and was wondering if anyone out there has been down the E. Lorien Trail in the winter and in the summer? Is the Trail system easy going or is it a pain? I'm sure ill be asking more questions as time goes on..
    Thanks for all of your advise ahead of time.

Google search is your friend. However, the post is older, and things have a way of changing.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-bald-mountain

yes i saw this post awhile back. But the lots i have bought are on this side of the river. I take a Right off of Mastadon RD. to E. Lorien Trail then the lots are about a Mile from the River. I was hoping that someone might have any info on the first first mile or two of the trail because i know you do have to cross a small creek.
    Thanks "AK Ray"

What lot and block did you buy? If you are only a mile from the Talkeetna River it is really doubtful you go in on Loren's trail. Loren's crosses the powerlines and heads uphill from there. Last year, with all the rain, it was nearly impassible. Winter is the best time to get in there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I missed the "south" part. Bald Mtn Sub. is accessed from Loren's trail. You "can" get to South Bald Mountain from there, but have fun South Bald Mountain is near Montana Creek. Depending on the location of the lots, access can be from one of three points, none of which have easy summer access and challenging winter access.

That thread linked above gives you all the information about the area.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Hey DementAK, I have a lot in South Bald mountain subdivision, I am between the noth and middle fork of the montana. So far it is pretty difficult to access. the loriens trail taking off mastadon isn't too bad, crossing the rivers in that area CAN BE A CHALLENGE. With a snow machine it wouldn't be much of a problem. Depending where your lot is at a guy might be able to blast up the montana river if the conditions are safe enough. There has to be a way in there, I have chartered a plane and flew over it and there are cabins in there all season access might be a little tough. PM me if you have time.

Thanks Steve b its hard to find anyone that has a cabin or has been back there, the realtor that i went through could not give me much information on getting back there. so i was just putting my feelers out there to see if i could find someone that might have better knowledge of the area. i'm thinking of going up there this coming weekend to try the trail out then the next adventure is trying it this summer. i know there's always a way in but getting building material back there is another question........

Use the Mat Su Borough GIS and property tax data based to find out who owns the cabins up there. Its a lot of on-line research to piece it together, but it will get you some starting points for finding those folks other than tacking a note on the door of the cabins.

Hey DementeAk I tried to send you a PM but, It didn't go thru for some reason. With a snow machine it would be a pretty quick trip. By snow machine the first swamp you come to might be a twenty min. ride That swamp runs north and south. There is a huge rock in that swamp like a 10 foot rock, I know it sounds weird a big rock in a swamp. At the south end of that swamp there is a cabin and from that cabin it is about a 1/4 mile to the North fork of the Montana. The trail continues east back by that big rock and crosses the North fork, there is another swamp east of the crossing and would be a good way to heaed south if you needed to. Good luck on your trip and keep in touch.

Is this the ROCK your talking about 149 50 59 / 62 15 29?

I didn't put the rock into my gps so I am not sure what the cords are.

My son and I have been up top in the South Bald Mountain Division on 4 wheelers in the summer. We went to Foraker Street cut across the swamp and followed the powerline north until we crossed the North Fork and then followed the trail to the top of the mountain. It can be challenging when it is wet. Last summer was dry in Mid July and it was a fast trip.

Does Forsaker Street cross the middle fork of the Montana? Does the trail to the top of the mountain follow the north fork?

Foraker does not cross anything it ends at the swamp. The trail from the intertie crosses the north fork and travels up the mountain. You have 4 or 5 swamp crossings before you get to the top. I would not try it alone.

I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions, but has anyone had much experiance on E. Lorien Trail off of Mastadon RD.?

The State of Alaska may have some land near where you're looking. There is an offering called Bald Mountain in that general area. http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/
    Bidding is open now on their 2013 Auction #472.