Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Powder for 225 grain in a 338-06

  1. #1
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default Powder for 225 grain in a 338-06

    I've been shooting IMR 4895 behind a 200 grain Hornady out of my 338-06 AI. i want to go to a 225 grain bullet. Is there a certain powder you guys like that works better with the heavier bullet? Thanks for any help.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    I use Tac in my 350Rem with 225s with good accuracy and speed. 5/8"-3/4" groups and 2800fps. about the same case size. I never could get enough 4895 in my 350 to get velocity. Not quite the same round but the results should be close.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    I like RL-15 for the heavier 338-06 bullets, but I shoot a standard chamber. Can't speak to the AI.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  4. #4
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I like RL-15 for the heavier 338-06 bullets, but I shoot a standard chamber. Can't speak to the AI.
    What are you getting for velocities out of the heavier bullets?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  5. #5
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Thumbs up

    338-06 wby UL 24" barrel

    53.0 of IMR 4320
    200 gr e tip or AB
    Fed 210Match
    WW brass

    63.5 of RL 17 or 54.0 IMR 4320 (Moose Load)
    2728 fps with Reloader 17 @ 63.5 (excellent) MAX
    225 gr hornady SP or Nosler Part
    Same primer and brass

    52.0 of IMR 4320
    210gr Nosler Part
    Same primer and brass
    Alaska

  6. #6
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Default

    The Reloader 17 load with 225gr Nosler Part is my go to load here in Alaska. I do not suggest heavier bullets than 225grin the 338-06 due to lack of space in cart.

    Although i do use Nosler Part a non premium bullet such as hornady SP work just as good.
    Alaska

  7. #7
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Thanks fellas I have RL 15 and 17 on hand so I might try some when I can make it to the reloadng room again.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Bigswede, I. Have a 338-06 AI also. I. Have had great results with RL 17 and 225gr Accubonds as well as Interbonds.
    I worked up to 61.5 gr with the Accubond . Accuracy was great and velocity 2750fps. Good luck.

  9. #9
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    I've used a lot of W748 in my 338/06 with 250 grain bullets. I've gone through phases with ball powder, but there is no denying that you can get more of it in a case and performance can be quite good.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Old thread, but good for other's reference.
    I use H4350 with 225 Accubonds in my 338-06 A-Square. Speer manual has 62.0 grains as max. Hodgdon lists 59.5 as max with the 225 Speer. I worked up to 61 grains with the Nosler and have no pressure signs, 2720 FPS. I used this load on Blacktails on Admiralty Island. The bullet is quite devastating and groups right at 1 inch. Recoil very manageable. Might work similarly for your AI. Good powder, good BC for that bullet.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yaddio View Post
    Old thread, but good for other's reference.
    I use H4350 with 225 Accubonds in my 338-06 A-Square. Speer manual has 62.0 grains as max. Hodgdon lists 59.5 as max with the 225 Speer. I worked up to 61 grains with the Nosler and have no pressure signs, 2720 FPS. I used this load on Blacktails on Admiralty Island. The bullet is quite devastating and groups right at 1 inch. Recoil very manageable. Might work similarly for your AI. Good powder, good BC for that bullet.
    Right on!!! Makes since I guess since RL-17 and H-4350 have such a close burn rate.

    I was able to get 2690 fps with a load of RL-17 out of my 21" barrel. I imagine it would be north of 2750 with an extra 3" of barrel on a standard 24" barreled rifle.

  12. #12
    Member alaska bush man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    905

    Default

    338-06 Reloaded for years with IMR 4320 with 210 Nosler

    until RL 17 came out..........great accuracy and more Vel.
    Alaska

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I have a 338-06 AI with a 22" barrel ( that barrel length is a subject of much discussion between my husband and me. He thinks I should have a longer barrel on the thing.)
    Anyway, I haven't shot 225 gr bullets in quite a while, but we had worked up a some loads for 250 gr a couple years ago. On that, my husband liked RL-17, and 61 gr got 2601 fps with a Sierra Game King bullet.
    I haven't shot the heavier bullets in it in a couple years. We have been sticking pretty much to 185 grainers (Barnes TTSX). He had another gun built for me for the bigger stuff.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genna-AK View Post
    I have a 338-06 AI with a 22" barrel ( that barrel length is a subject of much discussion between my husband and me. He thinks I should have a longer barrel on the thing.)
    Anyway, I haven't shot 225 gr bullets in quite a while, but we had worked up a some loads for 250 gr a couple years ago. On that, my husband liked RL-17, and 61 gr got 2601 fps with a Sierra Game King bullet.
    I haven't shot the heavier bullets in it in a couple years. We have been sticking pretty much to 185 grainers (Barnes TTSX). He had another gun built for me for the bigger stuff.
    Funny, now that I have a 338-06 I never really see using my 375 H&H for anything in Alaska.

  15. #15

    Default

    I used to shoot IMR 4320 and the 225 x bullet out of a 22" Douglas barrel years ago and foolishly sold the rifle. I was getting 2,639 MV if my memory is working. I am thinking about re-boring my old Springfield ought six out to a .338-06 for my 12 year old grandson.

    If I do I will use either the Barnes TSX 185 or 210 TSX bullet and one of the Hodgdon Extreme powders, H4895, H322, H4350, Varget, etc., even if they do give a little less velocity then other powders.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    45

    Default

    338 have you thought about the 210gr Swift Scirocco? It's the bullet I've settled with after fussing with all the others. Shoots great and has excellent terminal performance.

  17. #17

    Default

    Never thought about the Scirocco bullets as I am a believer in the Barnes X bullets and the Nosler Partitions. I do know other bullets kill stuff all the time, guess I am to lazy to shop around.

    There are so many powders to choose from, a guy could burn up lots of money and powder trying to get to a certain velocity or a smaller group size.
    As I said earlier, I will find a Hodgdon extreme powder that gives me acceptable velocity and group sizes.

    My old Springfield is back from Jesse and is now a 338-06. I need to fix the stock and have the grandson do a barrel break in and chronograph some H4895 and the 210 Barnes TTSX.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Well good luck with your project. Before I settled on RL17 and the Scirocco I was using H4350 with 225gr bullets and IMR 4320 with 200gr BT with good results. Yeah, like you said a guy could chase perfection forever. Cheers!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    Well good luck with your project. Before I settled on RL17 and the Scirocco I was using H4350 with 225gr bullets and IMR 4320 with 200gr BT with good results. Yeah, like you said a guy could chase perfection forever. Cheers!
    Yup 210 Sciroccos at 2800 fps from my 21" barrel 338-06 (non-AI) with RL-17. Hard not to like that speed with that BC with a strong bonded bullet thats tougher than an Accubond IME.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yup 210 Sciroccos at 2800 fps from my 21" barrel 338-06 (non-AI) with RL-17. Hard not to like that speed with that BC with a strong bonded bullet thats tougher than an Accubond IME.
    I have a friend that swears by his 06 with 208 gr A Maxes running 2500 fps for anything in the Great Land and he has been at it a whole lot of years. Your little 21 inch barrel bests his 06 load by about 300 fps. I'd say you got a winner there...short barrel and all!

    I have switched to TAC in 358 and have impressive velocity gains and good accuracy too. I have read the same with 338-06...don't remember which forum though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •