Thread: Kids, Dogs, and Snowmachines

Default Kids, Dogs, and Snowmachines

I need some inputs on transporting kids and dogs to the cabin. The dog has been going for plenty of years, but looking for something better. The baby is growing and I don't know the solution yet.

The ride to the cabin is 2 hours. The dog loves to run, but can't go fast enough the entire way. We put him in a kennel on the siglin. Even with it covered and blankets, he seems cold. I'm thinking of building a sturdier, insulated dog box. Anyone do this? Also was thinking with the bumps and little snowfall, that it probably isn't a comfortable ride? Dog has ridden on the front before, but 80lb dog likes to rest his head on your arm (heavy!).

Onto the kid part. Last winter took the baby on a 2-up machine. Baby had his snowsuit, fox hat and all wrapped onto mom, then mom had jacket covering him. By the time we got to the cabin, realized he was plenty warm! Well now the kid is growing, and is squirmy, about 16 months old. How do you guys take your kids to the cabin when they start growing? Under a year, seems they can be strapped in. Over year ??? Two year old + ? Also what do you do for helmets when they start getting bigger? I try to take the kid when it's -10F or warmer (my cutoffs -30) but sometimes weather drops while we're out for the week.

Anyway, anyone offer some help?

Thanks!

We stuff our lab into an open trailer, no kennel. She sits on a bed and tucks down if it's cold but usually is back there surfing in the trailer with her nose in the wind. She's a 100 lb lab. If she looks cold I kick her out and she'll trot along.
    The kid, we originally tucked her under an oversized jacket that we bought for my wife, she was strapped in to a bjourn (sp?).
    As she got bigger (2 YO) she would sit on the seat facing forward in front of my wife. Same as you, we would bundle her up in a beaver hat and lots of gear. Then we would use a cinch strap wrapped around my wife's waist and uder the kids armpits to secure them together. Puts some goggles on the kid and a scarf. But the trick was to wrap a large down coat (couple sizes to big) around her AND my wife with the coat facing backwards and the arms tied around my wife back.
    By year 4 we picked up a helmet since she was riding her Kitty Kat fairly well and this is what she wears now with a pair of goggles. On colder days she'll ride with me since I run an older Tundra and there is tons of heat pouring out of the vents in the cowling/windshield area.
    I think the main thing is to keep the wind off of their faces/body/hands.
    BK

as the kids got a little bigger we did what bkmail did but them in front of us they get some heat from machine and the are out of the wind if you have a nice windshield and i always dressed a little less so i could have an idea of how cold they might be getting and if need be do some readjusting of clothing on them or add some and with a fan cooled machine you can warm things up some off the out going side of the fan
    ha ddogs ride in front and run some but im trying a new thing for the newest 110 pound dog we made our first trip last weekend she did cold wise i found out she has some arthritis so will have to figure out a little more comfort for her though
    Attachment 66494

as for the kids started them at three years old, the poweder bar on the handle bars worked great for them to hold on. I ordered an open face kids helmet with a sheild and put hat on and then a face mask over the hat an put the helmet on them. (Snug Fit) a large windsheild is a big plus
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I carry my dog in the kennel but lined it with foam insulation and a memeory foam pad on bottom. 5 hours one way to the cabin so i let him run short distances in the woods. The kennel is built on to the rack of the machine so it is smoother than on the trailer (plus when the hitch breaks he si still with me).P3201028.jpgP3201027.jpg

I've tried letting the dog sit on the seat. I got covered in dog snot and hair. No thanks. These days I use a typical dog travel kennel, glued some blue board into the bottom and added a floor mat on top for traction, and throw in a kennel pad. Sportsman's Warehouse sells Mud River kennel covers and they work great for my Golden. The cover's door is usually tied open until it's well below zero. The kennel rides on an Atec sled. The sled is smooth riding and unless the trail is really choppy I can go at my own pace. Wiggy's makes the best dog jacket I've found, too, and my dog loves it when hers comes out. She thinks it's adventure clothing. It was well below zero the morning the attached picture was taken. The pup didn't mind.

As for kids? As a baby we took our daughter in a snuggly under an oversized coat. That was easy. Good cold weather gear is hard to find for toddlers. Good helmets, too. We struggled with that but we never stopped going. On the seat in front of Dad and behind a tall windshield is the warmest seating place. If it gets really cold add a blanket or other wrap over their snow clothes. Over their head if need be. Make it a game and don't show them your own stress and they'll think it's fun. Remember how your feet got cold when they were left to dangle from a tall chair? Stop often and let them get some circulation into those feet.

005.JPG

Mr. Pid
    To small! Not enough room for the beer! Or does that go on the wife's sled?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Beer belongs in the rack. In reach!

Sounds like you need an argo with a cab and tracks. Stay warm and can fit everyone inside comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    I carry my dog in the kennel but lined it with foam insulation and a memeory foam pad on bottom. 5 hours one way to the cabin so i let him run short distances in the woods. The kennel is built on to the rack of the machine so it is smoother than on the trailer (plus when the hitch breaks he si still with me).P3201028.jpgP3201027.jpg
    The dog box has a wooden frame that keeps it off the the base of rack base with the exact height to fit two 12 packs of cans underneath so tightly that the cans to not puncture on 200 mile trips. I suppose you 'could' carry beer under there .