Thread: First person to do the Alaska grand slam?

Default First person to do the Alaska grand slam?

does anyone know who the first person to do the Alaska grand slam with a bow was? The slam includes all big game animals recognized by P&Y except for the polar bear, seeing as how it was restricted to take in the U.S. after the late 70's, atleast I think it was the late 1970's... correct me if I'm wrong. I know it has been done by a few people but does anyone know who the first person to do it was and in which year they completed it?

72' last year on the Polar Bear, and my guess is Fred Bear.

thanks for the correction the the polar bear year, I don't think Fred Bear completed the ak grand slam though, because i dont think Fred ever took a muskox or a buffalo.

Chuck Adams did something big, but I don't know exactly which species.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

yeah chuck adams did the North American wild sheep slam, and all of them qualified for the books, major props to him for that.

Chuck Adams was the first to complete the super slam... All 27 big game species in North America with a bow. Not really sure on the Ak slam though

Default First person to do the Alaska grand slam?

Moose, goat, Dall, caribou, blacktail, black bear, brown bear, elk, musk ox, bison, wolf , and wolverine.

Those are all the currently legal big game permitted critters.

I doubt if anyone has completed this slam B&C or P&Y.

wolverine and wolf are not P&Y recognized animals. the P&Y animals in alaska are Moose, Rocky Mountain Goat, Dall sheep, Sitka Backtail Deer, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Interior Grizzly Bear, Musk ox, Bison, Roosevelt elk, and Barren Ground Caribou. Someone has to have completed it

I'll bet a dime that it was completed by Dr. Jack Frost. Not sure if he was the first, though I wouldn't put it past him. His trophy room(s) would make most grown men break down and cry in reverence--and the stories behind the trophies are riveting!

I don't think he took all of his animals in Alaska though, I don't think his bison came out of Alaska.

What about Frank Noksa (not sure on the spelling) he has been pretty successful with archery equipment, I think the hard one here is the bison probably a few who have done everything but the bison... cool question would love to find out the answer....

It was Rick Snell, he was the first one to complete it and he hunted with nothing but a Takedown Recurve that he makes. He also used to hold the number one Grizzly taken with archery equipment in Alaska before Dennis Dunn took the new world record out in unalakleet... He is a senior member of Pope and Young too.

he completed it in 1994 i found out. with the muskox as his last animal taken for the Alaska Grand Slam.