Thread: calling all predators

Default calling all predators

Well i will be headed out tonight to give it a go on some coyotes hopefully all will go well and i will have some pictures for you all.

If you don't mind me asking are you hunting public land or private?

Well i am not really sure how far back the owners land goes. So it is both i guess we are parking and going in on private land and going to try and do a little predator control for this family who raises rabbits and lets them run around the yard. So i think a good rabbit call is going to do the trick.

Good luck. If you have the FoxPro "Big Rabbit" distress, give that one a whirl, it might be very similar pitch to those domestic rabbits.

Well I guess i will spill the beans today. I went out last night with Dano to do a little calling. We were using a foxpro i am not sure what kind but it is sweet that is all the more i need to say about that. We were able to put in 4 sets last night and on our second set we had a visitor. A Jolly fox come running in and stopped about 18 yards from the call and was sitting right in the treeline and not coming out. Being we were limited to shotgun we learned we set up a bit far from our caller. Our hearts were pumping as we heard it run in so i said to him get ready. Then i try to turn on my spotlight with my big fat gloves on, when i realized i locked it closed. So i am trying to get these gloves off as still as possible because i know we are within yards of a predator. I am finally able to get the lock off of the light and asked if he was ready. I turned the light in the general direction of where i heard it run in from. And i lite up the area and oh my lordy the fox was sitting right on the call it seemed. Being the gun i let Dano use was semi auto and he was used to a pump didnt play much in our favor. Dano blasts off the first round and the fox does a complete 360 and in the mean time Dano is trying to pump a semiauto shotgun for another round of glory. well he finally got another round to fire through the chamber as it was running accross the hillside. But to our avail we were unable to find where to fox had gone because partially do to all the tracks around the area. We found aton of fox tracks a a single wolf track so we will be getting some snares placed in the next week or so. Well i hope your adventures of calling is as fun as what we experienced last night. We will let Dano chime in his side of the story when he gets on.

Default calling all predators

My chime in, Is after a good amount of time and money put into driving place hiking places sitting places and calling places, I missed.

Twice...

Yeah maybe it was a little far for a shotgun pushing 0000 buck, but it sure seemed a lot closer in the light.

And it was thee first fox I have ever seen and ever had the chance to shoot at, yet I still missed. I need a redemption day/night. Preferably a day so I can use my rifle

I was dreaming of that fox last night when i got home. Well hopefully we will be able to set some snares there and pull a few critters out. That watering hole is going to be a killer location.

When I'm using a shottie, I always use the range finder to pick my distances. I know if an animal crosses a set tree, point in the snow...etc... that it's good to go. If it's beyong that distance, I let it walk or keep on coming in until I can shoot. Good job getting one to come in that close. How did you not shoot the FoxPro? It has happened before to guys, I kid you not. Did you check the caller out for any pellet marks?

The fox was sitting the the right of the fox pro a bit so it was barely out of the line of fire. Last night was a definite learning experience for us and next time i don't think the fox will be so lucky.

Fox are my highest failure predator. I'm probably 99% kill on lynx called in, 85% on coyotes and 70% or less on fox. Don't ask me why it is that way, that's just how the numbers are with me. That's interesting you heard it coming in. Was your snow ice crusted? I think I've only heard 1 predator come in and that was because the fox made a willow drop snow off of its top. It was a beautiful cross-fox that I did take home with me though.

It broke a branch when it came running in then it came to a dead stop and just looked at the call contemplating whether to go after the call or not. So that is how we heard it come in.

Very nice to hear them come in, that's for sure. I was able to re-position myself for the shot unbeknownst to that cross-fox. Too bad they don't all make a bit of noise when coming in.

If you guys are looking for another partner or willing to let me tag along and or try some new spots I'd be willing to go. I've got a few calls and have been chasing these critters most of my life. I'm willing to drive within and hr of anchorage/jber area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbuster0006 View Post
    I'm willing to drive within and hr of anchorage/jber area.
    You'll likely find that an hour will get you just to the very edge of where public land and decent hunting becomes available. If you want to find success, you might seriously consider stretching that out to 2-3 hours from Anchorage. I've taken fur within an hour of Anchorage, but my success rate has risen noticeably the further out I have gone. The number of predator callers has grown pretty dramatically in recent years, so unless you're going to walk way off the road before calling, consider being willing to drive further.

Well stated Brian. The valley is hit pretty hard and it is getting even harder to find good spots around here. Some of the best spots are going to be at least 2 hours from anchorage. I am not saying it cant be dont closer to the valley because Dano and I just did it. But it is getting pretty hard to get critters to come in, in unit 14A.

If you guys are willing to jump into calling, you have to be honest with yourself, how likely is it to be successful without traveling?

Goes hand in hand.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Well I guess i will spill the beans today.,...... And i lite up the area and oh my lordy the fox was sitting right on the call it seemed.,................. We will let Dano chime in his side of the story when he gets on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano11 View Post
    My chime in, Is after a good amount of time and money put into driving place hiking places sitting places and calling places, I missed.
    Great Story guys,....gotta admit, I was expecting to hear you blasted that Foxpro machine,....

Go get 'em,...that's a pretty exciting, "I Missed," if you ask me

So, how far away from the caller were you set up ??,...and, did you pause the calling, when he was in there, or was it still wailing away ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

we left the caller running the whole time. heck it was only a few minutes into the call when it came in. But we thought we were thirty yards from the caller but we were more like 45-50 so it was a very long shot with a shotgun. But it looked alot closer i will admit.

Thanks for the info guy, I'm for sure going to try on base and check on some land down around girkwood have to check the regs. It's same way back home have to find private land or go way out in the sticks to have reasonable chance at them otherwise success rate is really low. So far what I'm learning is calling is calling regardless of place on the map, you have to work to find a place no one else is willing to go, work harder than the other guy and you'll be rewarded.

Be careful calling down around Girdwood. Basically, anywhere within 14C has very specific regulations and it's easy to get in trouble. Going further south into Unit 7 or north into 14A, 14B, or 13 would ease a lot of headaches.