Thread: Set Net Info

Default Set Net Info

I've meandered through ADF&G's website but havn't found where you can apply for a setnet permit in Knik... anyone have any good resources besides walking into the office in Palmer?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    I've meandered through ADF&G's website but havn't found where you can apply for a setnet permit in Knik... anyone have any good resources besides walking into the office in Palmer?
    The last time I got a booklet of readable subsistence regulations (which was several years ago), Cook Inlet was considered a non-subsistence zone.

At that time one could get a subsistence set net permit for Prince William Sound or Kodiak, but I just don't know anymore. There has been a lot of legal wrangling over subsistence (Hell ! Imagine that!).

Worse, when you look for the subsistence regs online, you get linked to an unreadable statute that tells you nothing.

Good luck. I suspect nobody wants you to know............

A cook inlet set net permit can be bought for around 10-20k it allows you to fish knik (and any other set net district in CI). You pretty much have to buy one off a set net holder I doubt they are issueing more. good luck getting an opener for anything but pinks north of Kaglin. You can do P/U set nets by the kasilof and in Kachemak Bay

Not sure if there is a subsistence permit thats seperate from the commercial one. I'd give the comm fish division in Anchorage a call, comm fish manages subsistence fishing. For permit listings the best site is probably www.dockstreetbrokers.com
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

http://cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/p...stence06mp.pdf
    Not sure where the tyonek district is but it looks like commercial is you only bet...

Once upon a time there was a personal use set net fishery at the mouth of the Kasilof. Not sure if there still is or the regs but if you were to call the Soldotna F&G office they could tell you where to if it is still open and where to look for the regs. As far as I know that is the only Cook Inlet subsistance/PU net fishery other than the dip nets at the mouth of the Kenai and Kasilof rivers.

If you want a set net permit - commercial - be sure you also arrange to lease a site. The state owns all of the sites and leases them for around $350 a year. Usually when a commercial fisherman sells out they also convey the lease to the site but be sure to have your attorney review carefully - kinda hard to hang a net on dry land! .

Default Allright...

Here's the spilled beans. I was out there two years ago at an undisclosed location; wanting to explore new areas. I came across a native guy in a tent with a setnet out grabbing early kings. He said he had a permit for it and that the rule was that someone had to be manning the net at all times; said his family kind of abonded him there but then they showed up on the incoming tide and he actually nabbed a few kings.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

There are several sites permitted for cultural/educational tribal fisheries around Cook Inlet. There is one in the mouth of the Kenai for the Kenatzies, one at the mouth at Ninilchick for the Tribal Council, one at Tyonek and I think one for the Eklutna tribe-I am sure there are some near English Bay and other villages that are off the road system. To the best of my knowledge you must be a tribal member to participate. Same goes for the fish wheels on the Yukon and Copper and many other interior rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Once upon a time there was a personal use set net fishery at the mouth of the Kasilof. Not sure if there still is or the regs but if you were to call the Soldotna F&G office they could tell you where to if it is still open and where to look for the regs. As far as I know that is the only Cook Inlet subsistance/PU net fishery other than the dip nets at the mouth of the Kenai and Kasilof rivers.

If you want a set net permit - commercial - be sure you also arrange to lease a site. The state owns all of the sites and leases them for around $350 a year. Usually when a commercial fisherman sells out they also convey the lease to the site but be sure to have your attorney review carefully - kinda hard to hang a net on dry land! .
    Definately the PU set net fishery is still there

Leasing limited entry permits is illegal in most casees, the $350 is probably for the yearly permit fee.

I wasn't refering to leasing the permits -which I understand is legal - but rather to the lease fee all set netters pay to the State Of Alaska for the actual sites where they set up. that is $350/year for each site - at least on the Kenai.

Oh leasing net sites, interesting that they hold sites, you'd still need a permit to fish em

Default Thanks

You guys have been very helpful, sincerely appreciate your comments.

Default A little help maybe.

Have you tried Copper River Boats and Permits? They might be able to help if they don't have one.

BFD Boats