Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got shot and it hurt like hell

Default I got shot and it hurt like hell

10 days ago when it started snowing like heck I asked my Grandson to come out back to my firepit and help burn some trash. We put some bags on the fire and lite them up. While burning I noticed a bag on the far side of the house so I told grandkid to bring it to me. I slowly placed the bag into the fire and after a moment or two, it started to burn.

I was in Barrow so a kid watching my house must have put the bag there. Not thinking, I'm standing over the fire pit when a bunch of plastic bottles started making all these weird noises and I'm making farting jokes to him. Suddenly there is a big bang and I am thrown onto my back, chest was burning, light headed and sore on my right side. I yell to my Grandson to run to the house, me too. I didn't know if there was a sniper or what.
    Turned out somebody threw a live shell into the trash bag and I got hit from two feet away, Once it hit my ribs, it flattened out, thank the good lord.

Moral???? Make sure no live rounds get tossed and burn in a burn barrell, not a pit. My bullet wound still hurts!!!!!!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Wow Ken, you really dodged a bullet there....

...Oh, wait. No, you didn't.

Good advice man, hope it stops hurting soon.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Years ago I was a volunteer fireman, we responded to a house fire, and as I was standing holding a hose a bunch of rounds started exploding in the house. I got hit in the hand and it hurt like heck, swelled up and got a big bruise. I found the bullet on the ground and it looked like new.

I posted on my facebook page that I dodged the bullet. Nope, I'm just lucky it didn't hit my Grandson or me in the face or eye or something. Fire pits are what is left. Got a second right tit with a perfect .22 hole until it finally heals over
    I almost died from a colon infection 5 weeks ago and now this. Think I'm running on borrowed time!!!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hunting camp in Idaho - Fellow took off his coat and, meaning to dry it out over the fire, dumped a pocket of ought six rounds into the fire.
    Created a lot of excitement - luckily no one was injured.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Wow, is Right,....Unreal story,...Definitely a "Good Lord" story

Glad you're Ok (?) It flattened out on your ribs,...and after throwing you on your back !!?? Yow

Any idea what kind of round it was ?

Oh, I see now, was a .22 LR ?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I was under the impression that a live round would just go bang. I didn't realize it would advance without a bolt braced case to push against. That case should also expand and fail to a deformed condition since it doesn't have a chamber to support it. I figured the lighter of the case or bullet would move away from the heavier. Any takers out there?

Either way, I'm glad your not mortally wounded.

It had to be a lousy .22 round. My .35 whalen rounds are all locked up. I was gone this summer so no telling what kind of round it actually was. Just know I was thrown backwards onto my back and I'm still a big guy, even if I lost 50 pounds over the summer 186 is not an easy pushover

Should be able to look at the bullet and determine something. Interesting how it was traveling fast enough to flatten but not penetrate. Do you have a picture of the slug?

I have a picture of the wound but not the slug. Too much snow now but come spring... I'll look for it. Thank God I was wearing a heavy winter jacket, that probably saved me more damage

While in Iraq I saw a lot of bullets go off in fires. They exploded and the brass and bullets fly out it all directions. I was once hit in the forearms on both sides with slivers of brass from the cases.

Be careful all. Glad no one was seriously injured.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

thank you kind sir, just glad my grandkid was not hit. Would take a bullet for him
    anyday

Glad your allright Ken.
    I had a couple .22 shells go off in the burn barrell as well.
    1st - I hid behind the log pile and snuck around till I was out of range in case there were more than 2 that went off.
    2nd - Then I was mad at the wife for tossing them in the burn trash
    3rd - Finally after 10 mins or so I felt stupid 'cause I remember throwing the container in the trash that had both shells in it....my bad.
    BK

I think we all need to band together and promise to "take meaningful steps" to help ensure that this sort of shooting never happens again. (Argh.)

Whop I'm glad you're alright, and that we're not now calling you "Patch".

Me too, allI can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad all are OK, but with what is going on in the news all over the world would it not be good to keep a mishap like this on the QT.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Glad all are OK, but with what is going on in the news all over the world would it not be good to keep a mishap like this on the QT.
    Yes, especially since this could have happened to any of us.

Hah,

So happy you were not hurt!

In the incident I mentioned below, the tree my dad leaped behind saved his bacon. Now, as far as "..."take meaningful steps" to help ensure that this sort of shooting never happens again." (FamilyMan) We did that ...............
    Especially after the perp's kid committed a couple of more faux pas ! The next morning he thought it would be cool to piss in the skillet which was just placed on the fire. It cracked.
    He was sent away sulking and got in my Dad's like new '52 Ford truck wherein he he fired a round in the cab !! 30-06 went thru the bell housing and ruined the clutch!
    Those folks never, ever went hunting with us again.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Thanks to all and to all... A good night!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats it, from now on I am not taking any chances - I will have the "wifey"burn the garbage! Glad it turned out well for you sir!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast