Thread: cutting my barrel...

Default cutting my barrel...

I have a 26" barrel on my .416 and was thinking of having 3 or 4"'s chopped off.I shoot out to 300 yards but no more.Effects?

None to worry about, unless it changes the handling. Performance wise you will never notice. All of my cannons are 20". My 458 Lott still will do 2400 with a 500 if someone wants to shoot it.

Thanks BH!Anyone eles??

Chop, chop, chop.....

- Clint

Actually you SHOULD NOT cut the barrel past 24" on the .416 REM according to a reliable source!

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn Hunter View Post
    None to worry about, unless it changes the handling. Performance wise you will never notice. All of my cannons are 20". My 458 Lott still will do 2400 with a 500 if someone wants to shoot it.
    You have a 20" barrel on a 458 Lott and load 500 grain bullets to a velocity of 2400 fps, am I reading that right? How much of what powder do you use for that? How do you get that much powder in the Lott case?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I have a 26" barrel on my .416 and was thinking of having 3 or 4"'s chopped off.I shoot out to 300 yards but no more.Effects?
    The 416 (I assume Remington) does pretty good in 22" barrels due to it's expansion ratio and the burning rate of powders used (RL-15), but shorter than that muzzle blast becomes a problem for me. Mine are 23" as is my 404 Dakota and several other big boomers including the 450 Ackley and the 470 Capstick. They are noisy at 23". If the 416 is a 300 yard gun for you with 26" of barrel it will be the same at 23". Velocity loss will be about 80 fps for 4" of loss on the barrel.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You have a 20" barrel on a 458 Lott and load 500 grain bullets to a velocity of 2400 fps, am I reading that right? How much of what powder do you use for that? How do you get that much powder in the Lott case?
    I'm also quite sceptical. I had a 21 1/2" lott with a ported barrel that would push 500 gr hornadys 2280 fps at it's best. Even in a 26" barrel, the lott would be struggling to hit 2400 fps, in a 20", you have to be running very high pressure or have some magic powder.

Thanks Murphy!I just dropped the rifle off and played it safe by having it chopped to 24".I am having sights installed so I figured that I would have it chopped at the same time.

I'd go 22" on a 416.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Thanks Murphy!I just dropped the rifle off and played it safe by having it chopped to 24".I am having sights installed so I figured that I would have it chopped at the same time.
    22" is OK if you want a little handier. I just would not go shorter than 22" My 416 Murphy is 23" and it is a few grains more capacity than the Remington. It is 400 grains at 2450 fps and is a very well balanced with this barrel length.

Hey Guys,
    This gun is a factory ZKK 602 458 win. That has been rechambered years ago to 458 Lott. The barrel was cut from 25" in 1 inch steps done to 20". We tested it with 500 grain Hornady, 500 gr Northfork and the 500 gr GS Custom. Some of the loads tested loss less than 100 fps from 25 to 20". With a load of 85 gr of South African S321 in Barnes cases and the 500 GS solid it will tip toe to 2400 fps. This is not a working load by any means. As you assumed it is high pressure. My normal loads with this are 74 gr RL-7 with the 500 hornady's soft and solids in the newer Hornady cases for 2200.

S321 is a "3031" type powder. It is that burning range but 3031 will not come with in 150 fps of this load.

The GS Custom is a solid metal "Solid" that has grooves or "Bands" like a Barnes Banded Solid.

Default Where?

Hey TBSteve-
    Which smith did the chop-chop?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Hey TBSteve-
    Which smith did the chop-chop?
    Stan....

- Clint