Thread: A Light Rifle To Complement My .500

Default A Light Rifle To Complement My .500

Was perusing local firearms listings when I saw a fellow who had an A-Square Hannibal model in .338 A-Square. Intrigued I telephoned him to talk about the piece. He was the original owner, having ordered the rifle from A-Square back in 1996. 25" Kreiger barrel, AA walnut stock; very nice. Received the rifle, dies and rings for a very good price. He even included the unused case form die and neck ream die but the neck reamer was lost. Still, just the dies alone are worth $400.00. I ordered the reamer from Huntington's today.

I purchased some .338-378 brass from GNG's to reform. Annealed the neck/shoulder area, lubed them up and they slid right in with very little resistance. All I was doing was pushing the should back a little. Now I need to wait for the case holder from CH4D.com so I can trim them from 2.916" to 2.875". Once I have that done it'll be load and go. I picked up a box of 215 grain TSX BT's to test the rifle.

Looking over old threads on 24hour a fellow had 10 fired and 10 unfired cases. Contacted him to purchase but he refused any money and is going to just send them up! Wow. Can't beat that. I also found and old thread on Firingline where a fellow was trying to sell two wallets of original A-Sq. ammo. Contacted him to purchase and worked a deal. He was kind of surprised because that thread was 2 1/2 years old! Search Fu has been strong the past few days, been eating my Wheaties.

I am thinking of using .378 Weatherby brass (originally used to form the .338 A-Sq.), and instead of reaming I will turn the necks to make them a tighter fit in the chamber. We'll see. Sinclair has the best price of $271.00 for 100 cases.

I'll try to get some photos up. Love the big Coil-Chek stock!

Oh, the best part is this only has had 40 rounds down the tube. Fellow even took it sheep hunting up in the Brooks range because it is so accurate. I can't wait to burn a few. I think I'll go through an 8-pound jug of Retumbo pretty quick at 100+ grains per BOOM though.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well the fellow on 24hour found another 11 fully formed cases and sent everything to me today. Wow! That is a total of 31, .378 Weatherby cases. Considering they are currently worth about $4.00 each, that is really something in my book. He still refuses to accept any money. Think I should send him a money order even so?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Think I should send him a money order even so?
    Send him something uniquely Alaskan rather than buxx. Ulu? State coin? Your pick. He'll appreciate it more than money he didn't ask for.

Good idea BrownBear. I'll have to think of something kewl....