Thread: Tok area?

Default Tok area?

Is there some good fishing around Tok? I'm going down for the start of the Top of the World 350 (highly recommend it - sounds like a great race, it's got some of the very top mushers in Alaska and the Yukon, and it's mass start - should be quite a scene). The start is at 9am and I thought as long as I was down in that area and if it's not insanely cold I might as well get in some fishing after the teams are gone.

The Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge office is there in Tok and they may have some suggestions for you. Also ADF&G has an office in Tok, just off the highway. They are all friendly folk and may have some good suggestions for you.. Bring your auger extension, a fishing tent and a heater. Last week Thursday it was 50 below in Tok. Maybe not a problem for mushers (huh?) but problematic for fisher folk and mechanical stuff....

Half Moon lake Recreation area maybe, the lake is 1/3 mile off the highway. New snow may have plugged the access road since I was last there the end of Nov.

I have heard that Birch Lake has fish in it.

Let us know! Happy Holidays!! Stay warm!!!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

I was through there a few weeks ago and the Refuge office was closed for the season, but the ADF&G suggestion is excellent and I'll give them a call on Monday. I was out at Chena Lake right before the snow and the subsequent cold snap and the ice was already over 3. I was looking for info on Jan Lake and it doesn't look very promising as far as fishing goes. I figure if nothing else works out I can stop at Quartz or Birch Lake - I've never fished at Birch.

A guy breaking trail for the race said it was -70 in Chicken late last week. Fortunately it looks like it's going to warm up over the next few days. We had to cancel our early season race in Two Rivers because we couldn't put together a team to put in the trail in the very cold weather we've been having (stayed below -40) and it's not reasonable to ask people to put themselves and their gear at risk to put in a trail for a dog "fun" race.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely give F&G a call.