Thread: Contact Lenses

Default Contact Lenses

I will traveling to Alaska in the fall of 2013 and will be out on the Tundra for 8 days. I normally wear contact lenses but I was wondering what other guys do when they go on extended trips. Should I bring my contacts and my cleaning solutions and have my glasses for backup? I was also thinking of buying some daily lenses then I wouldn't have to mess with my cleaning case and solutions. Thanks in advance.

What lenses do you use?

Daily disposables all the way for outdoor trips.

If it is windy/silty you will rip those suckers out in a heartbeat. Must have changed lens 10 times while trekking on the river bottom this year. All without having to wash or carry solution.

For outdoors, I use dailies with glasses for backup. I take plenty with me as well. As mentioned by junkak- windborn silt will have them useless in no time.

I did a sheep trip a few years ago and tried to use solution and clean lenses in camp....not anymore.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Remember to bring your sunglasses, keeps a lot of airborne dust and dirt out of your eyes and off your lenses.

I've worn contacts on 7 remote Alaska hunts, with glasses for backup. Am going in January to see if I'm a good candidate for laser surgery, would love to not mess with contacts or glasses in the field.

Definetly go with disposals if you can and always have your glasses as back up. If you have 2 pair of glasses I would think about bringing both. I had a buddy lose his glasses on a float trip he was miserable the rest of the trip cause he couldnt see more then 10ft. When I moved here 12 years ago I would spend 60 days in the bush and I used contacts and tried to clean and take them out everyday. Its a real pain and I just ended up using my glasses most of the time. After the first year I went to the eye doctor and got laser surgery. Best thing I ever did eyes are still great and no more dealing with contacts and glasses. Good luck on your trip.

Currently I wear Acuvue Oasys but they dry out after a full day and in the wind they dry out pretty fast. I will have to talk to my eye Dr. About getting some daily lenses.

I started wearing contacts and absolutely wouldn't go without. I have the accu views that you can leave in your eyes day and night and rarely ever take them out of my eyes until I have to dispose of them which is in the arena of 2 months. I find that I have way less crap get in my eyes with them then without. I do bring a couple extra's, and small bottle of solution just in case I lose one by accident. No glasses with me either. I thought contacts would be hell, but like I said, I had alot more eye irritations without them then with them in. Even river riding with lots of dust etc. they help me incredibly.

I use Dailys as well but never leave home without Blink Eyedrops. I really helps with dryness and I only use a pair a day with these drops to help out. http://www.yourhealthyeyes.com/find-...ing-eye-drops/

Lazer surgery...........It's the clear choice. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I've decided to have blended vision done and have my appointment made for 4 Jan to have my left eye corrected for near vision with Lasik. I have been wearing one contact for a month now and feel that is the best choice for me. I suck at getting that contact in and had my eye so red and swollen I could hardy see for 2 days. My big man hands and blind near vision makes the entire process look comical.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

My wife has eye problems and wears $500 contacts, so she can't throw them out until they are 6 months old. She puts them on in the vestibule or tent each morning and they stay in until we get the tent up again at night. She keeps the contact case/cleaning solution well organized the whole time we are floating and it hasn't been an issue yet. If you're hunting, consider your vision (wanting the best lenses) - but also the possibility of having to bivy. It might be miserable if you have to leave the wrong type of contacts in overnight.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Along the lines of what northway said, except I do have a pair of lightweight titanium-frame glasses I bring along as spares.

I also wear acuvue oasys. Never tried dailies... maybe I should look back into it, but I have a pretty bad astigmatism and it wasn't a great option when I discussed it a few years ago.

Anyway, I usually just leave my contacts in for a few days at a time. Carry a small bottle of eyedrops in my pocket in case they dry out and for when I wake up. When I do take contacts out/put them in, I always do it in my tent. Honestly I thought it would be much more of a PITA, but it's not bad. I bring some extras with me... if I do get silt in my eye and my contact is bugging me I toss it and put in a new one. Contacts are cheap compared to all the other costs going into a hunt.

I carry all my toiletries (2oz bottle of contact solution, contact case, spare contacts, eyeglasses, sunglasses, chap stick, travel size toothpaste, floss w/ needle, toothbrush, bag of ibuprofen) in one of those disposable snap-lid gladware type storage containers. The smallest rectangular one I can fit all my stuff in. Leightweight, keeps everything clean and organized, and eliminates the need to carry my glasses or sunglassed in an additional hard case. The plastic container is rigid enough to keep from getting smashed, though it's usually cracked by the end of a hunt, and provides a flat surface to put my contact case on when putting them in/out.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

If you spend alot of time hunting and just being in the outdoors in general get the lasik. Best thing I ever did. I wore contacts for twenty years before finally getting it done and it didn't take long to take it for granted. I had probably all the problems you could have with contacts. Once in Idaho I had them freeze in the case. Didn't think the saline was suppose to do that but when the stove goes out and it gets down to 8 degrees I guess it happens. What a hassle. My vision was 20\600 I was blind when I didn't have them in. I would go with the daily wear and glasses until or if you get it done. Good luck!

Get daily wear throw always and take a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Works for me and I spend several weeks living out of a tent each year.

Lasik the best thing you'll ever have done in your life if your vision can be corrected by it. Wore glasses for about 5 years and contacts for 25 and had eyes that were very bad/Almost 2/3 coke bottle thick glasses if you could imagine. In 2 minutes after the 45 seconds per eye lasik i could see like brand new (UFB). 4 years ago and still like new. No more contacts to mess with. $2600 well spent

Sound like I need to get lasik. As far as advice in the field for contact wearer's, bring at least three of extra pairs, cleaner/rewetting solution and glasses. Always, Always, ALWAYS sleep with your contacts in. I made the mistake of taking my contacts out one night and a bear decided to come in the tent. I first scrambled around to find my glasses, blind without them, my 44 mag and in the heat of the moment my glasses fogged up severely. I put my family in a bad situation. I was on a family outing with my one year old daughter and wife. Luck was on my side and the bear left with all the noise I made, however it hung around the camp all night. It could have been disasterious in the extra time it took me to find my glasses.

I always now sleep with my contacts in my eyes when I am in the field. In the morning I rotate a new pair in my eyes and put the pair I sleep into a case with solution.

Quote Originally Posted by marineman3122 View Post
    Currently I wear Acuvue Oasys but they dry out after a full day and in the wind they dry out pretty fast. I will have to talk to my eye Dr. About getting some daily lenses.
    I wear the same type of contacts you do and simply take them out at night and store them in solution, just as I do at home. This is what I do whether I'm in the field overnight or for two weeks. I carry an extra pair with me just in case there is a problem with either contact, but I've never had a problem. I take glasses for time around the tent, but contacts at all other times.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.