Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tender/dinghy suggestions

Default tender/dinghy suggestions

Need to buy a new dinghy for my boat any suggestions? Looking for 10-12' under $4000 w/ motor. Thanks

Bought a Tohatsu last year for the new dinghy. Pricing was hundreds less than many of the competitors brands and the engine rocks. Glad I bought one. No advice on a dinghy, I went with a mid-price rubber boat from Marita and have been happy.
    BK

Alaska Series Inflatables make an awesome dingy/tender for a great price. I have one and love it as do many boaters on this site. Well build, durable and very affordable. As for a motor, if your interested I have a Honda 4 Stoke Air Cooled Longshaft 2 HP motor in great shape that weighs 27 pounds for sale for 700 cash (Firm). Best time for getting a dingy is at the boat shows, sportsmans shows or State Fair as they run specials. The owner also is a member on this forum. Just do a member search for Alaska Series Inflatables.

Nothing wrong with a 10-12 footer with a motor if you have the means to get it on and off your boat easily. How do you plan on doing that?

I would look for a used 6-8 hp 2 stroke motor as they are much lighter than newer 4 strokes. Any brand boat would work, Zodiacs seem to be a good compromise between price and quality.

It depends on what boat you have and what you plan on doing with it. I had a 10' Sorenson fibreglass twin hull mounted on dinghy davits on the swim step on my 38 footer I loved. The 15 Johnson could plane 3 people no problem and it was a very stable platform for fishing reds in PWS. I could fill the bottom with fish and no worries cleaning the slime out. Dinghy davits make for a much safer boarding process too. The hard bottom also is more durable for landing on the rough beaches we've got. Infatables like the Alaska series Jim King offers mentioned above are good value (I have one on my current boat) but the hypalon boats are more durable and easier on the roof top. The oar locks and other fittings are made of a harder material than on the hypalon boats so if you have a glass boat, it may be an issue riding on the cabin roof (mine is showing wear spots so I'm using soft rubber pads underneath to minimize the damage to the gelcoat). The shows are a good time to get them as chico says but last sportsman show I checked on pricing and they went way up from when I bought mine, don't know why.

I went with the Ak Series Seward 290S, large tubes and plenty of room for 3 guys and deer. They now come with the grizzly claw armor on bottom of tubes which may be why the prices increased. Very happy with it. Check their web site and see what is on sale...might be able to save a few bucks.

I have a 10' 6" West Marine-labeled Zodiac in PVC. I bought it with the drop-stitch floor and it weighs ~55lbs if I recall correctly. I can lift mine right back over the top of the roof railing all by myself (and I'm not a big guy at all). The Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke only weighs like 57lbs and will plane two light people quite well (~300lbs). Even so I'm wanting to move up to a 9.9hp so that I can get up on plane with some of my hunting buddies, too. With two seasons under it's belt the dink is doing well at holding up under normal use. This includes more than a few rocky beaches with smaller breaking waves and challenging launches back into the briny sea...
    Get the biggest boat you can lift up onto the roof. Consider drop-stitch or airfloors.
    Get the biggest engine that you can lift over the side and onto the transom. Now consider doing it in a bunch of wind and waves.
    Have fun!

Something that has not been asked and should be is: what are you going to be using it for? If it is just to take the pups for a shore party, a lighter duty inflatable with a smaller kicker would be fine. I had a 9'10" Maxxon PVC with the air floor and an F4. It would plane me and one kid. As the kids got older, they wanted to go faster, so we now have a 10' AquaPro Aluminum RHIB with an F15. It will step my family of four and is a hoot to play around with, but I would hate to have to use the "armstrong" method to load it onto the roof.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

"I would hate to have to use the "armstrong" method to load it onto the roof."

You look like a big guy, Pete. That AquaPro/F15 combo can't POSSIBLY be more than 350lbs to lug up onto the rooftop!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    "I would hate to have to use the "armstrong" method to load it onto the roof."

You look like a big guy, Pete. That AquaPro/F15 combo can't POSSIBLY be more than 350lbs to lug up onto the rooftop!
    Nope. Only about 280 pounds with fuel. Reminds me of Roy D. Mercer "how big a boy are you?"
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you are OK without being on step, I like the Gary Kings Alaska series and the Honda 2hp motor. Don't get scared by the list price and the Alaska Series, they can be had for much less.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

How do the Alaska series hold up to dogs feet? One of the main uses of my tender is to go water the dog and let me add that my dog is more like a furry beast that weighs 90 lbs and can hold about another 90 lbs in water in her giant fur coat...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Another thing to consider, is if you plan on towing it around at all it needs to have a inflatable keel or rigid keel. Without one they are very squirrely and will want to submarine at speeds.

We've been happy with our Alaska series 10'6" with a 6hp Suzuki, plane two large adults with a little finesse and the inflatable keel does a decent job of tracking. With a little grunting I can pull it up on the roof by myself.

Not sure of dogs feet on the floor, they are pretty tough though, I've hauled plenty of firewood to shore with it with no problems, just gotta be careful putting it in and taking it out, definitely don't chuck logs from the boat!

I found a used 10.5' Achilles RIB w/ an 18hp Tohatsu. Any input on the Achilles brand?

I had an Achilles for years and gave no problems. They're hypalon, better material IMO but a bit heavier. Wish I had one now rather than the PVC Alaska Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I had an Achilles for years and gave no problems. They're hypalon, better material IMO but a bit heavier. Wish I had one now rather than the PVC Alaska Series.
    Achilles, Zodiac, Avon, Naiad are all staples in the inflatable boat industry. I've used them all in field work situations and I can't really tell the difference. I've got my favorites but they are all great boats. If I found a good deal on a well maintained Achilles I certainly wouldn't pass on it just to hold out for one of the other well loved brands.

I think what's most important is how are you going to handle such a heavy boat. Spoiled One has what I think is the ultimate setup with a small RIB that's a capable boat but he also uses a crane to get it up on top of the boat. If you don't have a crane or something similar I'd stay away from the RIB and go with something very light that you can strong arm by yourself. My guess is you have the equipment to handle a RIB or you wouldn't be ignoring all of the previous posts and talking about a RIB....but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you do, how you like it...and most of all...PICS!

A good used boat with a decent motor can be found for around $2500-3k no problem. I have a 12 Achilles with a 15hp yami 2stroke that was well within that price range. Older boat but well taken care of. As far as the mutts go mine was also fine in there as it has a wooden floor. If I was to do it again I'd hold out and find one with an aluminum floor. My .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Ihave ..10ft livenston fiberglass dingy 5ft wide also have motors will put 4 persons on step with 9.9 like new cond just redone.......907-799-1124....charlie

I bought this on off of eBay for 799.00 11ft Aluminum floor. love it no problems well worth the money. There on eBay all the time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356001344.654318.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast