Thread: Bullets for big game load 300WBY Mag

Default Bullets for big game load 300WBY Mag

I am reloading my 300WBY for dangerous game Brown Bear and I am working on 200gr. - 250gr loads. I will be using the following bullets:
    1. Woodleigh 200gr and 240gr Protectd points
    2. Swift 200gr A-Frame
    3. Kodiak 220gr
    4. Nosler 200gr Partition and 220gr Par.
    5. Barnes 200gr TSX
    6. Hornady 220gr RN

Boy, is this test going to cost me some money????

Do you all suggest any other bullets to try.

I already have a 200gr load with IMR 4831 and IMR 7828 that move between 3091 and 3108fps. But I did that with a Sierra 200gr SBT and I will not use this bullet at this velocity to hit big game with. I have a Mark V coming soon and will not have to use my Ruger #1. Ruger kick to hard.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Big .300 load

I think my first choice would be the 200 grain Barnes X since I have had nothing but good results with X bullets. Then the 200 grain Swift that I have only heard good things about but never used. The 220 grain Nosler would also be a good choice and I used Nosler bullets for many years before switching to the X bullet. All of them should work well. I will admit those heavy Woodleigh bullets interest me because I like big bullets and rarely shoot over 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I think my first choice would be the 200 grain Barnes X since I have had nothing but good results with X bullets. Then the 200 grain Swift that I have only heard good things about but never used. The 220 grain Nosler would also be a good choice and I used Nosler bullets for many years before switching to the X bullet. All of them should work well. I will admit those heavy Woodleigh bullets interest me because I like big bullets and rarely shoot over 200 yards.
    I got from midway today my first box of the 240gr bullets and you want to talk about a cool looking bullet and a well finished bullet. I have never seen a bullet from a bullet factory that was so flawless looking. If it shoots any where near how it looks it ought to be a real shooter.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Got this email from Mr. McDonald after talking with him.

"Obviously you are quite experienced Mike, so I have no hesitation in
    commending the 240gr from the 30-06.
    I have personally shot quite a few buffalo and camels with this combination,
    with complete satisfaction. Probably no need for the solids.
    Regards,
    Geoff McDonald.
    WOODLEIGH BULLETS
    PO Box 15, Murrabit, VIC, 3579, Australia
    Ph. 61 3 5457 2226
    Fax. 61 3 5457 2339
    zedfield@iinet.net.au
    www.woodleighbullets.com."

if it will work for my 30-06 it will work for the 300WBY mag
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Woodleigh Bullets

Okay Boys,

Go check the double rfile forums. Everyone rave about the Woodleighs. You need to ask the man himself about driving them at excessive speeds. When I see them being used at 2500 or less they take a back seat to no bullet. These guys are using them for dangerous game around the world. This includes buffalo in Africa and Australia. Wild boar in Australia and the wild but no so dangerous wild ass.

I have seen the pictures of the damage they do...excellent with no failures. If you are hunting dangerous game you cannot experience a failure twice!

Cheers,

Matt M
    450/400 NE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Okay Boys,

Go check the double rfile forums. Everyone rave about the Woodleighs. You need to ask the man himself about driving them at excessive speeds. When I see them being used at 2500 or less they take a back seat to no bullet. These guys are using them for dangerous game around the world. This includes buffalo in Africa and Australia. Wild boar in Australia and the wild but no so dangerous wild ass.

I have seen the pictures of the damage they do...excellent with no failures. If you are hunting dangerous game you cannot experience a failure twice!

Cheers,

Matt M
    450/400 NE
    I am at the limit at the muzzle with the 300WBY and the 30-06 is a good one for the bullet. AT 20yds it will preform just fine on heavy game with 300WBY.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I use 180 gr. Barnes TSX and 200 gr. Nosler Partitions out of my .300 Wtby. The rifle likes the Barnes a little better on paper, but we are talking fractions of an inch.

- Clint

Wink My Choice

I neglected to tell you that I also shoot a 300 WBY. I use the Swift A Frames. I have never had anything hit with it walk or crawl away.

BTW, check your older reloading manuals and compare them to the most recent of same manufacture...the max loads are now lower. I assume for liability sake not performance. Just watch for flattened primers and loose primer pockets. Just short of that is max for me. This is not advice, just how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I neglected to tell you that I also shoot a 300 WBY. I use the Swift A Frames. I have never had anything hit with it walk or crawl away.

BTW, check your older reloading manuals and compare them to the most recent of same manufacture...the max loads are now lower. I assume for liability sake not performance. Just watch for flattened primers and loose primer pockets. Just short of that is max for me. This is not advice, just how I do it.
    I agree with you on the max. I have noticed the max loads are lower. Some think it is because they have changed power preformance but that is not the case with the powders I use. Have tried my old lots with the new ones in my Ruger #1 and there is not any difference in pressure signs nor velocity across the chrono to suggest that it is nothing other than what you have said it is and that is for liability sake at least on those I have tested. thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS