Thread: Kite fishing

Default Kite fishing

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands, but have been captivated watching YOU TUBE videos of catching fish with the use of a kite. Especially interesting are the beach launched kites and the possibilities for catching salmon or even bottom fish from the shores of Cook Inlet beaches. I'm wondering if anyone has used these techniques or would be interested in giving it a try next spring.

Give it a go! A few years ago on a trip down to Homer we launched a few lines with a kite. Never caught anything we couldn't with our surf casters but still a great time. I've always wanted to try out of deep creek area or some where around there. I'm sure you could find a few chickens if you could find a good location.

We used to do the same thing off piers on the West Coast, but using baloons rather than kites. Just let an offshore wind spool off line until you start getting worried about having enough left to fight big fish. Give a yank to break the balloons free and let your bait settle to the bottom. How else is a guy going to make 200 or 300 yard "casts?"

I worked on long range fishing boats in San Diego for a number of years and I am very familiar using a kite system. Trick is sending the kite and bait out at about the same rate and to fish off the beach, the wind has to be right to take it out to where you want it to go. Homer Spit is an ideal location, however the wind in summer normally blows out of the southwest.
    Using the kite rig, it is normally used to keep a bait splashing on the surface or just below the surface. For bottom fish, you'll have to attach a weight and when the release clip gets to where you want it, pull like you're setting the hook to get it out of there, but it may swing that bait a lot closer to you and in the same range a good surf rod can cast to. As great an idea and thought for surf fishermen as it might be, I don't really see a huge advantage of a kite system. Feel free to try it and invest in it. If you can make it work, awesome. I believe I put a more detailed post about rigging a kite rig in the past. Again, good luck.

The spit was the perfect place with great winds that weekend, it was darn near winter thought when I gave it a go. I never tried to use the kite to skip bait like down in the south. It was only a fun means to get bait out far, for me there were very few attempts that made it out much further than my 15' surf rod could zing out line. But when it worked it worked, I would say 100-150 yards further. You should be able to be into a setup pretty cheap. The set up I made work was from a two hander kite I had so it only cost me a few buck for more line and a few downrigger clips. Like I said, it was a good time and people will look at you like your nuts!

Anyplace from north of homer to kasilof is a one hundred to two hundred ft sand beach that has a 100 to 200 ft near shear bluff on the back side. The bluff defeats any offshore breeze that comes along. And that kind directional breeze happens only about once a month anyhow. Nice to try to come up with new good ways.....I'm always scheeming to figure new ways to fish off the beach. Keep em coming.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I know the winds in that area are not perfect. Im thinking kiting at low tide, gain a few hundred feet when the tides out to get out away from the bluffs. You could then free spool back to above high tide. Park your rod sit and wait. I know its hard to imagine one cast per tide cycle but if it was just something you were doing in addtion to for say claming it could be rewarding. Or scout that beaches looking for an area with a draw that allowed wind to come off the bluff and drop down and out. Heck made fly the kite off the top of the bluff... It would be one heck of a bait drop!

I've done kite fishing in Florida.

It'd work for cohos and kings if you had the right wind. Suspend a cut plug herring under the kite and catch those surface swimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    I know the winds in that area are not perfect. Im thinking kiting at low tide, gain a few hundred feet when the tides out to get out away from the bluffs. You could then free spool back to above high tide. Park your rod sit and wait. I know its hard to imagine one cast per tide cycle but if it was just something you were doing in addtion to for say claming it could be rewarding. Or scout that beaches looking for an area with a draw that allowed wind to come off the bluff and drop down and out. Heck made fly the kite off the top of the bluff... It would be one heck of a bait drop!
    Like I said, the wind almost NEVER blows away from shore. Maybe once a month? Besides, just casting from shore works fine during hi tide.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I've done kite fishing in Florida.

It'd work for cohos and kings if you had the right wind. Suspend a cut plug herring under the kite and catch those surface swimmers.
    We catch silvers from shore if and when they around Ninilchiks beach. Kings I occasionally hook while butt fishing from the shore. We also occasionally catch kings from shore casting spoons.
    A couple summers ago I experimented with trolling from shore using a planer board. I have not yet perfected it. Easiest thing is the good old simple shore fishing from one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    A couple summers ago I experimented with trolling from shore using a planer board. I have not yet perfected it. Easiest thing is the good old simple shore fishing from one spot.
    I've always thought using a radio controlled boat would be an interesting way to "troll" from shore. I'd think someone that's good with RC boats could do it very easily, though it might be troublesome with regular boats in the area trolling. But how funny would it be when a big 30 ft. charter boat is trolling along and here comes a little 2 foot long boat pulling a line!?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I've always thought using a radio controlled boat would be an interesting way to "troll" from shore. I'd think someone that's good with RC boats could do it very easily, though it might be troublesome with regular boats in the area trolling. But how funny would it be when a big 30 ft. charter boat is trolling along and here comes a little 2 foot long boat pulling a line!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvOq2ZyQd8

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    LOL! Yeah, I've seen it done before, but can you imagine the logistics of trying to troll for kings like that!?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com