Thread: How to build a walkway over muskeg

Default How to build a walkway over muskeg

I am kicking around putting in a walkway over some muskeg to get to the edge of a lake. What works best floats or driving in pillings? I want to keep it fairly low to the ground so I don't have a large step down from the walk way into the boat. Going with pillings has some draw backs like you have no idea how far you will have to go down to get support. Any suggetions Thanks

Hand dug or can you get equipment in there?

All bye hand, a wheeler is about the biggest thing I can get in there.

The posts will always jack but since they will be hand dug they will be set on top of the ice and jack faster. From the info you've given I would say go with a free floating setup. Unfortunately I don't have good info for you on what to use.

Any one know any thing about the plastic that is across the end of one of the swamps on the way to Deshka Landing? That might be the ticket for him.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Is it the geomat the park service and BLM use to repair trails?

It is Geomat and it looked like it held up well this summer.
    BK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lots of villages out there with floating boardwalks.. and the cheap easy way to do it.. is lay down the pecker poles and stack across them
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yes! I was surprised it was still there this fall.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Hey Music Man and Mod Elan thanks for the info, sounds like I need to spend some internet time chasing down some Geomat and see if it will fit the bill for what I want to do. Thanks again

2x4 treated wood on edge as runners, 2x4 treated wood decking nailed or screwed on top. Let it lay on the surface. Add a 2x6 or 2x8 flat-ways under the runners if you need more "foundation" surface to stay on top. Or just let the runners sink it and the decking will float well enough. If the water level ever comes up that high a few duckbills to tie it down will help keep it from floating away. That's one application where you'll need to swap out the galv cable for stainless or the cables will rust and break.

mod_elan is correct that NPS and other agencies have used geo block in several places. Without any endorsement attached, here's the company's website: http://www.geocheminc.com/geoblock.htm If you want to dive deep in with winter reading, here's a how-to document: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...232821/toc.cfm

Taking my NPS hat off, at our place with just weekend use we laid out a mix of corduroy and log stringers topped with various 2x leftovers where we cross a boggy section.

to build on Mr. Pid's idea...make the 2x I-beam runner with 2x6 base, 2x4 vertical and top spaced 28" apart; 5/4 decking or 2x6 cut to 32" for walkway surface. If using 8' sections lay 2x8 @ 6' perpendicular to the section ends to disperse load over greater area. Use screws for fasteners.

Some of the basic ways I've seen it in SE, is to cut some small log rounds, lay them on the ground (free floating) about 6-8 feet apart, and nail a solid wood plank from one, to the other, etc. Cheap and easy.

Our neighbor had about a 200' walkway that they put in using the pre-cast pier blocks and spruce logs as runners then decking it with 2X6s. It worked for a number of years but the pier blocks finally sunk enough for the logs to get wet and they started rotting away. The fix involved replacing the blocks and logs with rail road ties. That was only a couple of years ago but it is holding up and the cost of rail road ties over just about anything else is pretting attractive.

Don't forget your permits!

Go to the snowmobiling forum and ask TrailBoss about that matting. He was one of the principals putting it in this summer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Any one know any thing about the plastic that is across the end of one of the swamps on the way to Deshka Landing? That might be the ticket for him.
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow