Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ft rich winter moose

Default Ft rich winter moose

-20 when I stepped out of the truck today! Walked around 6 miles, moving just to stay warm! No animals. Any one got any good news of connecting with one?

buddy of mine got a nice cow early saturday morning, it was 5 below and lots of tracks in the new snow just above bulldog

Nice! I got a cow today just up behind golf course, 3 got moose today, so the warden said.

that a great hunt to have! get out on the bulldog trail, the roads are almost always plowed. I rode my bike in, 6 miles paid off on the ride out 39" back in 2009. I know they have built some ranges since then back that way and there is less area to hunt now. You can cut a mile or two off if you come in from Muldoon, behind the power plant there is a gate. good luck!

Is this an open hunt or is it a draw hunt and what are the dates of the hunt ??

Draw hunt, and dates vary (fall and winter). Read the fine print if applying next year, as there are hunter ed, weapons qual, and user fees if drawn.

There are also area closures for military training and assess rules to deal with. You have to check into the area(s) you wish to hunt and then check out eveery day. Oh, and a mandatory briefing.

Where is everyone seeing the moose on this hunt?? my wife has this tag and we are not seeing much sign we have looked over the back side and I have not seen any new tracks. We have tried to looking down Bulldog trail but since she is going to have her back fused next month it is really hard for her to walk very far. Are there any other access points onto Bulldog trail that lead you farther in? Any help would be appreciated because she is really struggling trying to get into those areas.

CMP189; if your wife is having a hard time walking- it's possible to get a moose from this hunt by just driving up and down Arctic Valley Rd. and stopping here and there to glass, more than one moose has been killed that way.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    Where is everyone seeing the moose on this hunt?? my wife has this tag and we are not seeing much sign we have looked over the back side and I have not seen any new tracks. We have tried to looking down Bulldog trail but since she is going to have her back fused next month it is really hard for her to walk very far. Are there any other access points onto Bulldog trail that lead you farther in? Any help would be appreciated because she is really struggling trying to get into those areas.
    I would focus my attention on the higher altitudes when possible. Normally, the moose would have been pushed down due to the snow levels, but this year has had so little snow, there is nothing forcing the moose to the lower elevations. You may still see some here and there, but not in the numbers you might have in the past until we get more snow.

image.jpg

Heres one couple weeks ago

Focus on area 425 been lots of success there

The hunting was tough early last year. Don't be afraid to get off the trail and bushwhack, if you are able . . . I pushed a cow off a bed and tracked her through the snow for a couple of hours last year. Fortunately, I was close to a trail when I finally had a shot. Good Luck and Merry Christmas

IMG_0395.jpgMy wife got her first big game animal today off of Bulldog Trail. good luck to everyone that is still out hunting!! FYI we saw another nice bull by the campbell creek bridge on bulldog trail if anyone is still looking. He is a nice one!

Congratulations! It can be along walk out of there. How did you get him out? Sled or just pack it?

My wife and I thought we would take a quick walk seeing how it was X Mas eve and there would not be to many people out there. wow was I wrong!! We first seen the bull in the non-open side of the road and stood there and watched him till he walked to the open side. The nice thing was that TA425 was open to hunt so when we called to let them know she killed a moose, they told my wife to meet them at the gate by the golf course and allowed her to drive the truck in. I just used a sled and pulled it the 150yd to the truck It was nice!!

awesome congrats again,those base hunts can be easy like that!

The angle of the photo makes it aa little hard to see, but is that a recurve I see?!? Wow, and congratulations, he looks like he will be delicious. Great job, and it was not -20 :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    The angle of the photo makes it aa little hard to see, but is that a recurve I see?!? Wow, and congratulations, he looks like he will be delicious. Great job, and it was not -20 :-)
    Looks to be a crossbow to me.

Crossbow with a scope is allowed on the bow only drawing hunt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast