Thread: Is Full "Military Specification" Better or Not.....?????

Default Is Full "Military Specification" Better or Not.....?????

On the subject of AR-15 rifles, Is "Full Military Specifications" a Better quality firearm........??? If so Why.....???

Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.

Well yes, it is . . . and no it isn’t. They “spec” the gun to be the best compromise of the futures they want to do the job they want done. Doesn’t at all mean it’s better or worse, all the parts are top quality but may or may not be the best choice for a civilian build. For instance the 4150 (11595E) chrome molly barrel, they need that for longevity under full auto to pass the durability test. Only the government can afford to buy enough ammo to need that kind of durability, you don't need it, your rifle won't be a bit better with 4150 vs 4140 or stainless. My advice if your building one is forget mil-spec, decide the job you want done and spec your gun to do the job.
    On the web=
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yes and no.

I would get a mil spec bolt and bolt carrier and barrel. The barrel should be a real 5.56 NATO barrel - chrome lined or not. That way you can shoot surplus 5.56 safely in your gun without fear of overpressure (some are chambered for 223 with much shorter throats.

The bolt and bolt carrier are a hard use item and between the good steel and strategically chromed parts, properly assembled, you won't have problems. From Bravo Company's website:

Bolt carrier group (auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4. Parkerized exterior and chrome lined inside carrier. Machined to USGI specifications. This M16/M4 carrier includes the proper Mil-Spec gas key. Gas key is chrome lined and heat treated per GI specifications. Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs. These properly hardened parts insure a strong staking and proper gas system functioning.The bolt assembly is machined from the correct Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® steel, shot peened for increased strength, includes tool steel machined extractor and ejector, BCM Extractor Spring, and is HPT (High Pressure Tested) and MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected).

North Pole

I agree with the "yes and no" for the reasons that are listed and more. trigger for one, i really like my Timney triggers.
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    On the subject of AR-15 rifles, Is "Full Military Specifications" a Better quality firearm........??? If so Why.....???
    Keep in mind that dimensions are part of that spec, a milspec gun or parts ensures compatibility with other milspec parts, at least theoretically. I've gone after milspec stuff for that reason alone.