Thread: Yentna Info...

Default Yentna Info...

Hey Folks,
    I'm just looking for information about fishing the Yentna, the good, bad and otherwise. Also how difficult to get into- I'm running a Thunder Jet 21'. How far up to find clear water (is there much?) and is it "combat" fishing? Many thanks in advance for the replies!

Yentna is a glacial river, no clear water except for a few rivers that flow to it. Lake creek is a good King place but the guide outfits there are not very friendly. You would launch at the Deshka landing at it’s about 45 miles to Lake creek.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Lake Creek is about as combatty as the deshka.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

how far up the yentna do you have to go to find good pike fishing????
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

to the first big weedy lake you can find
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Just pass Lake Creek, about a mile or so, there is a creek that comes in on the north side (Fish creek?) I have, many moons ago, dragged a small boat up over the rocks and there are two lakes in there that had good pike fishing!

Kill as many of those nasty, salmon eating fish as you can!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Yentna is a glacial river, no clear water except for a few rivers that flow to it. Lake creek is a good King place but the guide outfits there are not very friendly. You would launch at the Deshka landing at it’s about 45 miles to Lake creek.

I heard that one of the guides up there pointed his boat at someone and threatened to run into them if they refused to leave. Then the lodge owner denied that it happened. I will carry a video recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I heard that one of the guides up there pointed his boat at someone and threatened to run into them if they refused to leave. Then the lodge owner denied that it happened. I will carry a video recorder.

I have actually ran into this. I took my family up there and this guide didn't like where I was. He said I was in "his" spot and that he had paying customers and told me to leave. When I refused, he brought the back of his boat around and lifted the jet and spay me and my family.

Needless to say, you don't do that to me and I chased him across the Yentna and got out of my boat and proceed to give him a good ol’ country boy ass whooping.

Last year, I had one of the guides ram my boat in an effort to push me out of my spot. It is kind of like you don't touch my cowboy hat thing. When I went looking for him, he couldn't be found.

Also last year I saw a lot of abuse of taking more than one King a day. I saw some take as many as 5. I reported it to ADF&G, but I got the “we are short handed” dog and pony show.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I have actually ran into this. I took my family up there and this guide didn't like where I was. He said I was in "his" spot and that he had paying customers and told me to leave. When I refused, he brought the back of his boat around and lifted the jet and spay me and my family.

Needless to say, you don't do that to me and I chased him across the Yentna and got out of my boat and proceed to give him a good ol’ country boy ass whooping.

Last year, I had one of the guides ram my boat in an effort to push me out of my spot. It is kind of like you don't touch my cowboy hat thing. When I went looking for him, he couldn't be found.

Also last year I saw a lot of abuse of taking more than one King a day. I saw some take as many as 5. I reported it to ADF&G, but I got the “we are short handed” dog and pony show.
    If you have that problem this year video tape it. Make copies for ADF&G, Channel 2 news and Governor Palin. Then send it to their insurance agent for full repair of your boat. If the guide threatens you, pursue assault charges while defending yourself. I am not advocating making things worse or escalating a situation. I do intend to protect myself, any passengers that are with me and my property.

We can all fish nice. It does not have to be like that.

I would bet that 20 boats sitting in the best holes during the peak of the run would make a statement.

Angry No fishing ettiquette in the back country?

That's outrageous conduct by a guide. They should have their guide license pulled or suspended. Is there not a method to report these violations to the guide association? Or is it hard to identify the offenders?

You can tell IF they have a guide sticker on their boat. I try to fish nice and help everyone I can. I just have a very low tolerance for idiots like that. Guide or no guide.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

akbassking

I plan on taking a couple of trips up to lake creek with my family and Ill tell you this if a guide pulls that sh?? on me Ill be putting his a!! in jail I can see Ill be bringing my handcuffs and tazer with me when I come. Chris