Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator Problem!

Default Generator Problem!

Hi all,
    so I have a WEN 3500 Watt gas generator. It has 220 hrs on it and the other day it just shut off. I went to check it and the oil sensor plug had come out of the crankcase and oil was oozing everwhere. i pushed it pack in changed the oil because it was due for that anways and started it up. after 10 min the oil sensor plug/wire pushed out again and oil was everywhere. Does anyone know what the problem might be? perhaps the plug or oil sensor needs to be repalced or am i having an internal pressure issue... something bigger inside. Also, its a 6.5 OHV engine. PLEASE HELP!

The first thing I would check is the crankcase vent, it is likely iced up or otherwise plugged/kinked creating a pressure build-up and forcing the sensor out.

X2 what 338WM said.

Make sure the Crank vent is open or the next thing that pops out may be a crank seal.

There should be some sort of hose from the air filter to the crankcase that might be frozen, causing pressure in the crankcase. Some times they put a PVC valve in the air filter that is not obvious unless you blow in to the hose, air should flow only one way. Even the Honda EU2000 type engines have a problem with the cold and the fix is to remove the hose in the winter.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

The oil sender does not screw in??????

Do you have a compression gauge if so check the compression. If not remove the oil plug and put your finger over it, do you feel presser? You may have bad rings.
    Removing the oil plug may help until you fix the engine.
    Let us know what you found.

OK thanks for the info. Where is the crankcase vent? All i have is the manual that doesnt provide you any information other than pull it and start. I'm also not at home so cant look it over and try to guess. thanks again

it screws in and there is pressure. starts great and runs great but that darn plug pushes out after running for a bit.

Look for a hose going between the crankcase and the air intake, it is probably 3/8" to 1/2" in dia. An easy check you can do if you can not locate the hose is to remove the dipstick or oil fill cap, then run the genset, only do this if either piece is above the oil level so that the oil does not run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doityourself View Post
    it screws in and there is pressure. starts great and runs great but that darn plug pushes out after running for a bit.
    What screw in the oil sender, oil plug??

oil plug screws in. not sure what the oil sender is that you are refering to.

oil plug screws in. not sure what the oil sender is that you are refering to.
    Does the sensor screw in or is it held in by an o-ring/grommet ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Look for a hose going between the crankcase and the air intake, it is probably 3/8" to 1/2" in dia. An easy check you can do if you can not locate the hose is to remove the dipstick or oil fill cap, then run the genset, only do this if either piece is above the oil level so that the oil does not run out.
    we normally unplug that hose in the winter months... the air is clean enough to run with out it
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

the sensor screws in but has a rubber plug in the middle of it with a yelloe wire. the plug pushes out and oil comes oozing out. i have not unscrewed that yet but will look at it tonight and bring the unit inside to warmup and make sure there is no ice in vents. heres a link to a similar image if it works http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...5&tx=134&ty=73

You should check the vent hose while it is still cold so that you can tell if that is your problem or not. If it has Ice in it and plug then chances are you have solved your problem. Good Luck

Will do. I will report back tomorrow ....hopefully that the problem is solved.

Now it make sense, you have a bad senor. Does any one agree, disagree?

so if the sensor was bad it would pop out like i described? i feel like it would just kill the motor and not pop out and leak oil if it was a bad sensor...

No the sensor being bad would not cause it to pop out. There is pressure building in the crankcase that is causing it to pop out and that could be several reasons . The most likely is the vent being pluged .

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Now it make sense, you have a bad senor. Does any one agree, disagree?
    I agree that the sensor is bad, but it likely failed due to the vent hose plugging up. It sounds like the sensor suffered a mechanical failure (not a functional failure) I have replaced countless sensors that leaked, yet still functioned as they should.

Solve the pressure/vent issue and order a new sensor.

If it 'screws' in it cant 'push' out. A little locktight(sp) will stop it from unscrewing and then you can work on the crankcase vent that is a tube between the air cleaner and the valve cover.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast