Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figure 8 Lake

Default Figure 8 Lake

I'm looking at doing some pike fishing later this week and was looking for a fishing/trail report from figure 8 lake. Is there enough snow for snowmachines? Thanks.

Default Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Kuch View Post
    I'm looking at doing some pike fishing later this week and was looking for a fishing/trail report from figure 8 lake. Is there enough snow for snowmachines? Thanks.
    I called DNR after the last snow storm and they said frozen ground plus 12" of snow cover is the minimum for travel out there. They said you can go if it is close, but if a trooper checks you and you cannot prove the 12" wherever you happen to be sitting, they can fine you.

A buddy of mine called a friend who lives near there and there was only 10" of snow, so it was a no-go for us.

Thanks for the info Berto. Looks like I need to pray for snow the next couple of days.

go to walmart they got fish sticks by the pound!!
    Semper Fi!

You outta be fine to travel to Figure 8 or Flathorn. The trails in are old gas line trails and as long as you stay on them, you won't have any issues. Outside of the trail is subject to the 12" of snow. What I have been told by the troopers.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have never been out there, but I heard some guys drove their trucks out and got in trouble some how. Are you not allowed to take full sized vehicles out there? Weight limit? I am just curios is all.

Ya u should b fine as long as u stay on the trail. But yes I believe there's a weight limit. Also supposed to have a travel permit out to the lakes. Fish and game have them and will clearly tell u wat u need to kno.

Thanks for all of the helpful answers. I may give it a try on Friday if its not -20

The gas line corridor is still subject to the snow depth requirement and yes they do have a weight restriction they also have a permit availble for hauling heavy loads call palmer adfg for more info.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Ok thanks.

You do not need a weight permit to go out to the lakes. I've been checked several times out there and never been given grief about a weight permit.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Weight limit is 1000lbs GVW if you come from the little su public use parking lot this is enforced regularly. Most people never have to worry unless they are hauling freight or the snow gets packed enough to run a side by side as some are over the weight limit. Their are other ways to access figure eight just take longer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Went out yesterday and caught a nice mess of fish. Trail was good, weather was calm.

was there enough snow to meet the requirements?

pictures would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    was there enough snow to meet the requirements?
    I passed two troopers on the trail and we had no problems so it's all good.

Heres a few pics, gonna try my luck again this weekend. Got the first batch pickling. I tried to PM you alaska_pike but your inbox is full. Attachment 66790Attachment 66791

Snowmachine or wheelers? I'm thinking about going tomorrow.

Default Figure 8 Lake

Snow machine but with the current tropical weather ATV would work too

Default Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Justicemedic View Post
    Snow machine but with the current tropical weather ATV would work too
    I rode my snowmachine on the gas line trail yesterday and I recommend against anyone using the trail until there is a significant amount of fresh snow. ATVs have made so many ruts the ride is super rough; worst I have ever seen it.

went out there today. Fishing was real slow and the trail was awful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast