I know there was a thread posted when this didnt fly through as expected... i also knew there are multiple sides to the storys from the house and senate..

here is the responce i got from C Don Young..

[QUOTE]Dear Mr. Holton,

Thankyou for contacting me regarding S.3525, the Sportsmen's Act. I appreciateyou taking the time to share your concerns with me.S.3525is a bipartisan package of seventeen hunting,fishing, and conservation bills. Included in this legislation are two billsthat I authored, H.R. 991 and H.R. 50.H.R. 991 would amend the Marine Mammal Protection Actto authorize the Secretary of the Interior to issue import permits to hunterswho wish to import Polar Bear trophies that they obtained. H.R. 50 wouldreauthorize the African and Asian Elephants, the Rhinoceros, and TigersConservation Funds. The Multinational Species Conservation Fund is a programwithin the Fish and Wildlife Service that benefits tigers, rhinoceroses, andelephant conservation. Inaddition, this legislation includes important hunter access and wildlifeconservation measures. For example, one provision would encourage federal landmanagement agencies to allow shooting ranges on public lands. Another wouldallow bows and archery equipment on National Park Service land. Unfortunately, this legislation has hit a roadblock in the Senate.Though previous procedural votes passed with strong majorities, thislegislation failed to pass a procedural hurdle related to a budget issue. S.3525 would raise the price hunters pay for a duck stamp. Funds generatedby the purchase of these stamps is required by law to be used for theacquisition of wetland habitat. Senate Budget Committee Ranking Member,Jeff Sessions (R-AL) argued that this bill would appropriate money, and thusviolate a previously passed budget agreement. As a result, he called for abudget point of order, which failed largely along party lines on a 50-44 vote.60 votes were needed for passage. However, in the days since thissetback, a compromise was agreed upon. Now, S.3525 is being held up by Senators Barbara Boxer(D-CA) and Ben Cardin (D-MD) over their opposition to a provision that wouldprohibit the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating lead ammunitionand fishing tackle. This opposition threatens the passage S.3525 because withSenate floor time limited, there was an expectation that this legislation wouldpass by unanimous consent. Their opposition stops the bill, and would require anumber of days to hold procedural votes and debate.Nevertheless,I remain hopeful that this legislation will pass the Senate before the end ofthe 112th Congress later this month. S.3525 is endorsed by DucksUnlimited, the National Rifle Association, the National Shooting SportsFoundation, and dozens of other pro-sportsmen groups. In opposition are theusual suspects: Center for Biological Diversity, Friends of the Earth, and theHumane Society of the United States.Previously,the House passed a similar package of sportsmen's bills, H.R. 4089, theSportsmen's Heritage Act of 2012. This bill requires federal public landmanagement officials to facilitate the use of, and access to, federal publiclands and waters for fishing, sport hunting, and recreational shooting.Furthermore it requires public land use planning to consider and address possibleaffects on recreational fishing, hunting, or shooting use. As land managementagencies have imposed countless restrictions and regulations on the use ofpublic lands, this bill takes necessary steps to restore hunting, fishing, andshooting rights that are deeply ingrained in our nation's history and heritage,without giving those rights precedence over other important uses of publiclands. OnApril 17, 2012, H.R. 4089 passed the House by a vote of 274 to 146. I was amongthose who voted in favor of its passage. Unfortunately, the Senate didn't acton this legislation, but S. 3525 is a step in the right direction. Onceagain, thank you for expressing your views on this issue. If you haven'talready, I would encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at https://donyoungforms.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/default.aspx andmy YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/RepDonYoung. Doingso will allow me to provide you with updates on this and other importantissues. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do nothesitate to contact me.

Congressman for All Alaska

with the original i got from S. Mark Begach..

Dear Mr. Holton:
Yesterday the U.S. Senate took a procedural vote that stalled the Sportsmen's Act and put the entire bill in jeopardy.

This legislation is a comprehensive, bipartisan package that supports key Alaska sportsmen's issues like improving hunting and fishing access and ending unfair regulations. I strongly supported and co-sponsored the Sportsmen's Act because it includes crucial provisions such as:

• The Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting Protection Act—ensures that the Environmental Protection Agency has no authority to ban or regulate the use of lead ammunition or tackle, whether for hunting, fishing or any other purpose.
• The Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act—allows states more funds available for a longer period of time for the creation and maintenance of shooting ranges. The bill encourages federal land agencies to cooperate with state and local authorities to maintain shooting ranges.
• The Polar Bear Conservation and Fairness Act—allows for the Secretary of the Interior to authorize permits for re-importation of legally harvested polar bears from approved populations in Canada before the 2008 ban.
• Reauthorizes the North American Wetlands Conservation Act for five years—a voluntary program, which has protected 26.5 million acres over the last two decades and is critical for sustaining migratory waterfowl populations across the country.

Yesterday's procedural vote was disappointing and a bit surprising, considering that earlier procedural votes passed with strong bipartisan majorities of 84-12 and 92-5. But yesterday's vote was largely along party lines, with only Sen. Olympia Snowe of Maine joining my party in support of moving forward. It wasn't enough. The Alaska Federation of Natives is a strong supporter of my duck stamp waiver provision in the bill. In addition, the Sportsmen's Act is supported by the NRA, Ducks Unlimited, the Sportsman's Alliance of Alaska and dozens of other hunting and conservation groups. I will continue working with both parties to reach a compromise that preserves these important priorities for Alaska sportsmen. I will be in touch when there are developments.

Mark Begich
U.S. Senator