Thread: Lost Rifle Taylor Highway

Default Lost Rifle Taylor Highway

I know this is a long shot, but here goes. My buddy and I hunted RC867 this weekend up on the Taylor Highway. Bottom line: His rifle slipped away from the sled at some point in the trip. It would be on the road between about mile 15 and mile 45. It was last seen when we packed the sled up with caribou around mile 45, from there we headed back to the parking area at mile 12. He backtracked a few miles from the parking area but we were low on fuel to go any further. It was blowing snow pretty good when we pulled out Saturday night, so I know it's a long shot. Since it's on the road it may get kicked up by traffic.

Light brown canvas case; black on black Savage .30-06; Nikon scope (I think) with HUGE sunshade on it; LOADED with 220 grain Remington CL. I don't know serial number. If found I can put you in touch with owner. He certainly doesn't want to have to explain this to his wife.

Thanks for any help.
    Ryan
    350-three 2 six 3 (mobile)

Good luck with recovery

I was going to ask how someone could be so dumb then I reflected on my own personal losses over the years. From gloves, hammer, binoculars, the list goes on...just lucky it hasn't been an old friend like my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    LOADED with 220 grain Remington CL

^^^^This is the reason that you check every weapon, every time you pick it up^^^

Hope you get it back ...

Probably too late now, but what about posting a sign at the Taylor Hwy, saying "Lost Rifle.....call phone #.....". You never know, somebody who wants to do the right thing may find it but have no idea who it belongs too. If you haven't already, I'd contact the trooper out that way and let him know. Good luck.

Hope you find it..

I'll get the word out for you here. Hopefully it will be found by an honest person and gotten back to you.

Thanks everyone. It really doesn't have any sentimental value to him. Just a rifle, an Axis or Edge or one of the combo deals Savage did. It has taken a couple of animals over the past couple of years he has had it.
    It normally wouldn't have been loaded, but after we fired the first time we recognized that with the wind, snow and temperatures we may not be able to chamber a round later if we needed to. The snow was actually blowing through the teeth of the zippers on our rifle cases.
    I think he plans to call AST about it as well. We met the Trooper for that area on our way in, had a pleasant courtesy check of documents and were on our way.
    Thanks again for all the attention this is getting.

You might want to contact the Alaska Trailblazers out of Tok. In a few months they will be grooming that entire stretch and if it hasn't been found by then...the groomer might find it.

After that, the DOT will start plowing the road near the end of March or early April. At that point you would be able to drive a truck out there and check the snowbanks, ditches, etc.

Good luck....you'll probably need it for this one.

Wow, I just checked back in to say it was a Bushnell scope not a Nikon and.....ahem....well, not sure what has happened above. Anyhow it had a Bushnell not Nikon scope.
    Please carry on.
    Thanks

I put a new 300 Weatherby with a 3X9 Luepold on the bottom of the big willow several years ago so tell him it happens. by the way, if anyone foundit backin the spring of 09 let me know. It went in about 1/4 below the parks bridge. I would like to have it back.