Thread: Gunsmith on the Peninsula

Default Gunsmith on the Peninsula

I recently bought a used Savage model 116 in .300 wm, stainless, synthetic stock. It was a backup "boat gun" and I'd like to have it looked at before firing it. The bolt seems pretty loose when retracted and feels a bit worn to me but this is my first big rifle and don't have the knowledge to really assess what's acceptable. Looking for someone to go over it on the kenai peninsula, any recommendations?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    I recently bought a used Savage model 116 in .300 wm, stainless, synthetic stock. It was a backup "boat gun" and I'd like to have it looked at before firing it. The bolt seems pretty loose when retracted and feels a bit worn to me but this is my first big rifle and don't have the knowledge to really assess what's acceptable. Looking for someone to go over it on the kenai peninsula, any recommendations?
    Thanks
    I suppose iet's too much to hope for that Harold Fuller is still living, and active, in Cooper Landing???

Never heard of Harold myself. The only guy around that I know of would be Aaron over at Gator Guns on the spur highway as your pulling into Kenai.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Last time I went thru the area it looked like a used car lot at that location. Am I mistaken or did he move (Aaron that is)?

Default Gunsmith on the Peninsula

He moved closer to Kenai, right where the four lane starts on the north side of the road, right across from the small engine place.

Make sure that you have all your numbers written down off your gun (Gator Guns). I know somebody who had barrels switched on him after a bedding job.

I suppose iet's too much to hope for that Harold Fuller is still living, and active, in Cooper Landing???
    Griz:
    The great Alaskan Gunsmith and machinist Bill Fuller, who use to be partners with the great Harold Johnson,,,The inventors of the 50 Alaskan and 450 Alaskan cartridge and many other.... died back in August 1988. A real part of Alaska went with him....

They have a Muzzle Loader shooting match every year in his honor.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Just a note, any Savage in the 110 family will have a loose bolt when retracted. They are just sloppy, but still accurate.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem