Thread: to remove the springs on the muffler with out a puller

Default to remove the springs on the muffler with out a puller

a pice of 550 cord [ military] works just fine , about 2 to 3 FT. long with a hand hole tied in each end . this might not do all springs but it did all of the machines I have worked on, it is cheep an most of us have some around the shop some where

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i use vise grips.. always have
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Re: to remove the springs on the muffler with out a puller

Or a screwdriver with a notch filed in the end

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    a pice of 550 cord [ military] works just fine , about 2 to 3 FT. long with a hand hole tied in each end . this might not do all springs but it did all of the machines I have worked on, it is cheep an most of us have some around the shop some where
    A loop of parachute cord is all I've ever used.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

A needle nose vise grips or an awl heated up and a hook bent into it has worked for me in the past
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

A piece of coathanger wire with a little "j" hook on one end to grab the spring and a loop on the other to get a good grip. Toss it in the machine's tool kit and it might serve another purpose as well on the trail.
    I like the parachute cord idea as well though!
    BK

Spend a few bucks and but a long spring puller from Go Pro. I carry a short tee handle puller in my tool kits but the long one, about 15" long, makes springs so simple you'll feel stupid for not having one all along.

They make a tool for that? Whodathunkit.... Vice grips or 550 have always been "the tool" for us.

i second the coathanger with the little j hook on the end, less time fishing between the can and the chaincase and easy to get the springs back on. some machines are easier to reach the back springs than others.

I just use a screwdriver. Stick it through and pull on both ends. Works great for putting springs back in, put the phillips end on the hole and spring on the shaft of the driver, then pry with the handle and the spring almost always ends up in the hole.

These are the best spring pliers out there.
    http://store.snapon.com/SearchResult...=0&FieldValue=

Rob cannon 360-2914 is a local dealer...
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You can take an old unwanted flat screw driver and cut a notch in the side down where it is flat, that hook/notch works perfectly on removing or putting springs on.