Thread: back packs for kids

Default back packs for kids

Anyone have any info/advice regarding a good frame pack for an eleven year old? I want something light but also quality made. He won't be carry a lot of weight but I am thinking external rather than internal. We are going on a moose hunt and I want to start gathering up some gear. Those of you who have taken your kids hunting, what have you used? Thanks so much.

Kelty makes some kids externals that both my boys have used. Ok packs just not very roomy. They also have north face internals now since they kind of outgrew the Keltys . They are 11 and 13 now so the Kelty may be too small for your son.
    Maybe just go try some adult or woman sizes and see if it can be shortened enough.

My 11 yo son uses an Osprey- pretty decent pack for a kid and well suited to carrying a kid's sized load.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

REI sless some REI-branded internal frame packs in two different sizes that are very ood packs. My nephews and my son use them. I haven't taken any kids hunting, but I've led scout troops on 10 day Appalachian Trail trips, and I did overnights in CHugach SP beginning when he was 8. Since you specified "frame pack" I won't try to dissuade you from that route. If you want a good external frame pack for a young person, the Kelty is the best route to go. Take your son over to REI, and they will measure his torso and help you fit a pack to your son's body. They'll weight it down and he can walk all over the store with it to test the fit and feel. We've bought 3 or 4 packs there, and it's always a good experience. Plus, they have a no questions asked return policy. if it breaks 2 years form now, they'll take it back. (Seriously, I've returned 3 yr old rain gear and boots covered in mud.)

Check thrift stores I found a camp trails external that will work for my 5 year old son this summer and he will be able to grow into it.