Thread: 170a

Default 170a

So I might have a chance at a 1951 170a. It would be roughly $15K, and 2 years of work. I'm a 120 hr solo student, and have nearly unlimited access to a 150 HP 172 with 206 tires.

I understand that the 170a can be a handful- especially given my limited experience. Is it worth it to invest in a 170a, or should I just use the 172 for the cost of gas, insurance, and a share of oil and annual?

My goals are primarily off airport flying for 2 people for hunting and fishing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    So I might have a chance at a 1951 170a. It would be roughly $15K, and 2 years of work. I'm a 120 hr solo student, and have nearly unlimited access to a 150 HP 172 with 206 tires.

I understand that the 170a can be a handful- especially given my limited experience. Is it worth it to invest in a 170a, or should I just use the 172 for the cost of gas, insurance, and a share of oil and annual?

My goals are primarily off airport flying for 2 people for hunting and fishing.
    If it is the one here in Fairbanks, it ain't worth 15 in my opinion.
    Tim

Default 170a

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    If it is the one here in Fairbanks, it ain't worth 15 in my opinion.
    It's one already acquired in Homer...the only question is whether or not it gets sold or kept.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You better have some long off-airport landing/taking off areas if you are talking about a 145hp 170A...

Where is this C-170A you are talking about Tim? Is that the yellow and white one at Chena Marina?

I owned and flew a C-170A for several years in Alaska. Modified with a heavy case, Franklin 165-hp engine and a climb prop, the plane flew the bush in good shape. Beaches, sand and gravel bars, mountain ridges - - - all were fair game for it. Just be aware that the little flaps on the A-model aren't really all that effective. It does handle slips quite well, though. Still, it's a MUCH better airplane than the C-172 with its knose wheel and relatively weak nost wheel strut. If the airaplane isn't a real rag-bag, you'll be more than happy to own and fly it.

Make sure you have a good third party crawl all over it to look for corrosion in hard to see places.
    Griz is correct about the 170A flaps. They seem to be there just to give you a flap handle to practise with...
    Joe Benello in Homer is good for finding and replacing plane rot. Sometimes the box mounts where the gear legs are attached can get some interesting corrosion going that will really weaken the system.
    This gear leg folded on a 170B with not much side pressure.
    call or send me an e-mail for Joe Benello's phone number
    dragonfly@alaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have a '48 170 and it was refurbed in 1999 so it is almost like a new plane with an old look. What they say about flaps is true but that's what your feet are for...slips. I bought it with the intention of doing a 180 hp conversion but now I'm going to build a light super cub to play with instead. The 145 hp is fine if you are light and have half tanks otherwise it takes a ways to get it flying off airport. Soft sand, weeds, grass and the like tend to slow takeoff too. IF it is in good shape I'd fly it and see how you like it. If not, you can part it out and come close to $15K in parts which are getting harder and more expensive to get. THe 170 is superior to the 172 in most cases off airport but I would make sure you have a good tailwheel instructor and don't let your balls grow too big to soon...that can hurt you bad.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Most guys underestimate the off-airport capability of a 172. I'd run from a rehab project on a 170A. Too much money to fix it and too little interest to sell it for what you'll have into it. Fly the 172 and wait for a better ownership deal to find you. Just my opinion.

I'd wager that in the same pilot's hands the 172 will spank the 170A in short field ops 99% of the time.

Default 170a

Thanks grizz, Alex, low rider... Right now, the plane is acquired by my brother for very little. He and his A&P think it will be about $12k to get it refurbished. Hence me getting it for as little as 15k. I happen to know a tail wheel instructor in Homer but it might be awhile... Figure on 2 years or so of part time work on it.

You guys pretty much answered my questions... It's better than the 172 for off airport, but certainly more of a handful.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do you remember the old 1957 vintage 172A that used to be in Homer for a few years? The Silver, and Silver blue that was in pretty good shape?
    That belonged to a Coast Guard guy who was one of my primary and later float-rating studenst. Plus a family friend. It was fairly light, had a flat prop and he took out the back seat. We flew that thing all over place. Including the beach across the bay. He later put tri-cycle gear skis on it .. Which oddly enough was much better on loose snow than a tail-wheel.
    There is nothing wrong with an older C-172 when you know how to fly it...

I would rather be flying the ugliest C-150 in the world instead of looking at a pile of parts in my shop every day...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

When I lived in Homer, I had a 172 160 hp with 8.50x6, 206 nose gear, a Horton STOL kit, gap seals and so on and it would certainly beat my 170 anywhere, anytime but it was not exactly a stock bird.

I'm sorry I didn't read it right I guess, I thought the 170 you had was flying and was just ugly. If you need 2 years and $12K to fix it I would run away quickly and start selling parts today!! Take your time and find a nice plane that is a good deal and in decent shape as confirmed by your brother the A&P.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

I would rather be flying the ugliest C-150 in the world instead of looking at a pile of parts in my shop every day...
    Thats some good advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

I sure agree this this statment!!!
    Tim