Thread: 9 1/2 ft Beaver

Default 9 1/2 ft Beaver

I thought I would write up the tales of my float hunt out ofDillingham. The hunt would be a 10 day hunt in mid Sept with me and friendDave. Without any setbacks, we flew from Anchorage to Dillingham where ourfriendly transporter met us. We gathered all of our supplies and picked up myraft that we shipped earlier. Drove to the lake and loaded up the Beaver. Due to swirling winds, the Beaver couldn’t takeoff with our weight. Plan 2- we had the plane pick us up at a larger nearbylake. Took off without any problems andwe landed on the small lake where we would start our float.
    From the lake we were dropped off, we floated the smalldrainage to the main river and set up on the first gravel bar. This would be our camp for the next sixdays. Ok, let’s get to the hunting. Dave and I agreed on before going that Davewould get the first right to refuse first Brownie and I would have first rightto refuse first moose.
    Hunting Tactics were to climb the large hill behind camp andglass. Day 1, glassed lots of brownies and bull moose in the far distance. Wehad 4 separate cows all fairly close to camp so we decide that we would stay atthis camp for a couple of days. Day 2-climb the same hill and glassed all day. In the evening we noticed a young bullabout 3 miles away. Dave put out a couple of calls and caught the young bull’sattention. He called a couple of more times and gets the bull fired up. Thisbull was coming fast and on a string. After watching it for a couple ofminutes, we decided to head down the hill before he beats us to our camp. Toolate he won. He seen our camp and veeredoff. After fumbling around to get a good range on him, I finally got the range finderto agree on 420. Took the shoot with my 338RUM and laid the young bull down torest.
    Now its my friend Dave’s turn. Day 3 - woke up and was metwith some of the worse weather I’ve ever experienced on any of my hunts. Thisweather would torcher and taunt us for the rest of our hunt. It rained so hard for so long, we came inchesaway from losing the gravel bar where we camped. I thought we were going to beforced to relocate in the middle of the night. Add to the rain 60mph wind and it would make conditions miserable. However it wouldn’t stop us from trying. Day4- climb the hill again. Watched 5 different brownies walk by the moose Ikilled 2 days earlier. Puzzling to me, they showed no interest in it. They weremore interested in old silvers and berries. Around mid-day we noticed a “beaver “ swimming across the river. Thenthe “beaver” got out of the water and developed 4 very long legs and a bighead. Talk about evolution. The mutantbeaver started fishing towards our camp. Again we had to head down our glassinghill to cut him off before he located the camp. After patiently waiting for him, he showedback up out of the thick brush on the river’s edge and Dave took a nice 200ydshot. Do you believe that beaver squared9 ˝ ft.
    Day-5 more rain. We decide we would spend it taking care ofDave’s bear. Day-6 we packed up camp andstarted to head down the river. After a long float of 300yds, a 51inch bullmoose decided to swim across the river. Too easy, Dave takes a 75yd shot andwe’re getting the knives back out. Loaded up the Dave’s moose and headed down theriver again. This time we made it a mile down the river when a 7 ˝ browniestands up in some tall brush. I gave the oars to Dave and grabbed for myriffle. This is when I figured out that Dave didn’t know how to operate theoars. No fault of his we only floated 1 mile and he had no OJT yet. After the raft stopped doing 360s, I was ableto get a nice shot off.
    The rest of the float was spent surviving the wind, rain andcold. Overall good hunt and horriblefloat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great Story and thank you very much for sharing the photos Yes I am jealous but hey everyone should be as well.

RMM
    BMR

That's quite a success story. Congrats!

Thanks for taking the time to write that up and tell the story! Great adventure and hunt, I enjoyed it very much.

Tod

Looks like it was a great hunt to me. CONGRATS !!! And thannks for the photos.

Thank You for the great write up. Lots of meat to take care of, Glad you had a safe and successful trip.

Great write-up. A classic tale of exactly WHY having Alaska-proof gear is so important. Nice short-tailed beaver!

LOL, short tailed beaver.... I definitely enjoyed the story!

Like your writing style! Well done on a great hunt.
    Proud to be an American!

Very nice! Couldn't be a better hunt AND you survived the float and the weather!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

If you don't mind me asking, what raft did you use to haul all the weight of the meat and hides?

Wildwood, It would probably win an ugly raft contest. I think it started out as a rental. When I first got it, it had more leaks and patches than I could count. Its a Maravia Willawaw 14ft. It had no problems hauling the two moose and two bear with all our gear. Here is a picture before heading out on the Kenai.

217.jpg

Magnumrn.... Great write up. Thanks for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, did the river you float happen to start with Kul.......? I noticed you didn't put the name of the river in your write up and I assume that was on purpose. The reason I ask is..... I think my buddy and I leap frogged you on the river? Then you floated out past us a day or so later? Could have been someone else but your write up seems like a match? Either way, congrats on your success!

not the same river. I sent you a PM let me know if you got it.