Thread: Garmin Oregon 550

Default Garmin Oregon 550

Anyone use the maps for the Oregon 550, I see they have an Alaskan Card: <http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting-GPS-Maps-150-State-PLAT-Maps/1362305.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3 FproductId%3D709095&categoryIds=104791680%7C104729 580%7C104373180%7C&WTz_l=RI%3BBC%3BIK-229869>

On the GPS is on sale in Lacey WA Cabelas for $250

I use both,, worth every penny. Knowing for sure who's land you are on is priceless.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

The map card it awesome! I use the Garmin Montana 650 which is similiar and I love it! Word of advice! If you by the GPS and the Map mini sd card stick a piece of tape over it once you install it. It the Oregon is anything like mine that the card falls out fairly easily. I learned that lesson the hard way! :-(

Mr Louis, I have the 650 as well, I bought a large sd card for it and installed the Plat maps, Topo Maps, and the Street nav maps. I can switch back and forth and select the map I want to use. I bought a voice bracket and with the Street Nav I get turn by turn navigation. I love the bigger screen for river navigation. I copied all the maps to my larger card and keep the map sd for a back up, this gives me extra room for long track logs, like my Koyukuk trips.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks, sounds like the 650 has some good benefits too. I saw it at Cabelas today however the $250 for the 550 is a great price. Card is another $100

I am looking at the 550T - Looking like 250$ for the unit, then another 100$ for the SD Alaska enhanced chip.

Is everyone still liking the 550 ? I am upgrading from a 12xl model......big steps.

Trying to load the Dalton highway 5 mile cooridor onto my 550T.....can I put on the 16GB sd card I put in it or does it have to go to the internal storage?

Is it worth buying better topos for it? The ones on it don't seem to be detailed very much at all and I don't see them on the basecamp software that I downloaded.....

I got the corridor track loaded fine. I found that I cannot copy a microSD chip/card from onXmaps (AKhunt plat maps). You have to get their downloadable version to copy it (per customer service this morning).

My big SD card is actually 32GB and I want to use it to save some routes, the plat map, and the haulroad cooridor on one card and then have plenty of room left for pictures.

Unfortunately, I am sending the microSD chip back to Missoula MT and they will send me a code for a downloadable version.