Thread: Best Non Resident moose permit

Default Best Non Resident moose permit

In your estimation what is the best moose permit for a non resident? I have hunted the Koyukuk and wood rivers in the past.Thanks for any advice

As far as what? Your luck in the draw? The regs will tell you that.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

As TWB said, for what? There are any number of different things that would put one hunt ahead of another for each individual hunter. Are you looking for the biggest rack (trophy), the best scenery (trip takes priority over chances of success or size of animal), highest chances of drawing, cheapest to access, etc... Narrowing down your goals will help to provide the best suggestions.

The best permit IMHO is the one you draw

You've hunted the koyukuk. You want something better?

Good luck.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

North Tustemena Lake
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

canada.........

When I drew the Koyukuk tag in 2000 I used Charlie Green as a transporter but since he is going out of buisness I will try somewhere else. i did hunt the Wood river but wasnt that impressed. So now I must try somewhere else. Thanks for your replies, KEP

Quote Originally Posted by kep7790 View Post
    Charlie Green ... he is going out of buisness
    WHAT?.... REALLY?

He has been money for everyone wanting transportation up the Koyukuk, not to mention the only game in town for river transportation out of Galena. If he is no longer going to be in business, this is big news. Please elaborate, (if you can)

Well this is comming from my friend who is a gunsmith for Charlie. Evidently a couple guys swamped their boat not sure if they overloaded it or what but they lost all their stuff. I guess they are going to sue Charlie. He told my friend that he has had enough of the whole thing, with letting clients stay at his cabin, to POed clients he doesnt need to deal with all the krap. Now I understand he also guides or transports for fish so i am not sure if he will still do that or not.

Wasn't Charlie running north of Huslia?

Charleys not quitin that I know of, I was there and help him get the swamped boat , one guy lost a tent and game call, his packing buddy who went for free lost a bear hide that he shot well just going along to pack not hunting ya right,

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    WHAT?.... REALLY?

He has been money for everyone wanting transportation up the Koyukuk, not to mention the only game in town for river transportation out of Galena. If he is no longer going to be in business, this is big news. Please elaborate, (if you can)
    He's not quiting 1 guy filed a complant against Charley for loossing a tent and game call they never even got there feet wet but blamed there stuppidness on him, he already paid the guy for the stuff lost other then the bear for the nonhunter who went for free and just shot a grizzly bear told Charley he wanted ten grand ya ok lol

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    He's not quiting 1 guy filed a complant against Charley for loossing a tent and game call they never even got there feet wet but blamed there stuppidness on him, he already paid the guy for the stuff lost other then the bear for the nonhunter who went for free and just shot a grizzly bear told Charley he wanted ten grand ya ok lol
    I hope he doesn,t quit.I have used him for last 2 years.Charlie is a good guy.The guys that wanted to sue him created alot of there own problems.So sad to see a couple of bad apples ruin it for every one else.Without Charlie this area is almost impossible to get to unless you have you;r own boat.I am looking forward to using him again.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    North Tustemena Lake

About 15 years late on that one.. I hiked up there two years ago from the lake, and from one vantage point saw 6 black bear... saw zero moose..

that at one time was the best draw in Alaska.. just pick your big moose... not so much anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    The best non resident moose tag is a harvest ticket. Just go hunting man!

I really agree with this.. moose live in the woods.. go find one.. every year I kill one I think.. wow, that was lucky... and it is really... can't kill them unless you go get in the woods.. go get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    About 15 years late on that one.. I hiked up there two years ago from the lake, and from one vantage point saw 6 black bear... saw zero moose..

that at one time was the best draw in Alaska.. just pick your big moose... not so much anymore..

While up hunting my Killey River caribou tag this last fall, I spotted a very large moose, probably 2 miles or so off. When I saw the moose, the first comment that came to mind was "don't worry, you're safe". There are some big moose back in that area, but access is difficult to say the least and hauling one out would be nightmare except for a few select cases. A caribou is one thing, but a large moose from that area would be one you would definitly earn.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    While up hunting my Killey River caribou tag this last fall, I spotted a very large moose, probably 2 miles or so off. When I saw the moose, the first comment that came to mind was "don't worry, you're safe". There are some big moose back in that area, but access is difficult to say the least and hauling one out would be nightmare except for a few select cases. A caribou is one thing, but a large moose from that area would be one you would definitly earn.
    Encouraging you saw one. That was an amazing hunt 10-15 years ago... pretty slow as of late..(for moose)
    I hiked up from the lake, and yea... getting out without horses would be a night mare. I had a buddy draw that tag a few years back, and in 10 days came out with nada..