Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are there non resident moose permits for GMU 13?

Default Why are there non resident moose permits for GMU 13?

Over 100 non residents permits for moose hunting in unit 13? Anyone know what management goal this is part of? Doesn't make sense to me, so there must be something I'm not seeing.

Haven't we over hunted those moose out of that unit with all the co-requirements instituted for the past two years to mandate any unit 13 Tier caribou permit holders to hunt moose only in 13?

One word... $$$.

Default Re: Why are there non resident moose permits for GMU 13?

Why are there nonresident permits everywhere else? I don't think it has to do with management...

What proof do you have that the tier I drawing has hurt the moose population numbers? Any statistics or just a feeling?

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Why are there nonresident permits everywhere else? I don't think it has to do with management...

What proof do you have that the tier I drawing has hurt the moose population numbers? Any statistics or just a feeling?

sent from my igloo
    I have no proof. Just my own experiences and knowledge. I said the crux of what I knew and am looking for an answer.

So far as your comment about how high or low moose numbers, plus adding the co-requirement that Tier Caribou permits for 13 mandate moose hunting 13 too,,,,, how could those subjects NOT have to do about management of the resource? You've lost me there.

Wasn't it the same as last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wasn't it the same as last year?
    I am fairly sure that these same non res permits did exist last year, yes.

It's alwaysabout the $$ when it comes to that, same with having non-res guides. They makemore money on the tags so they can generate the income.
    Sorry I had to chime in with neg opinions.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I have no proof. Just my own experiences and knowledge. I said the crux of what I knew and am looking for an answer.

So far as your comment about how high or low moose numbers, plus adding the co-requirement that Tier Caribou permits for 13 mandate moose hunting 13 too,,,,, how could those subjects NOT have to do about management of the resource? You've lost me there.
    So it's your opinion that numbers are lower. gotcha
    The tier I permit was designed to give the residents of unit 13 a better chance of harvesting a caribou while discouraging hunters from other units. How many people don't hunt unit 13 now because of the mandatory moose hunting?

sent from my igloo

Default Why are there non resident moose permits for GMU 13?

If its lower numbers to cry about, kick through the dispatch. 40+ sublegal moose from unit 13.

Not just spilt milk. I'd be more inclined to say people should be better educated before pointing at the permits.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The nonres tags started when the resident any bull tags came out. I sure hope they know what they're doing because we had just started to see moose rebounding from predator hunting and they slam 13 with any bull tags, nonres tags, and tier 1 requirements. It would seem to me we are going to lay waste to the population mighty fast. I have not seen the current moose counts though.

So it's your opinion that numbers are lower. gotcha
    No sir. Didn't say that. Didn't mean that.

It is my opinion that GMU13 moose have been hammered by management directives; I tried to say that; sorry if it came out wonky.

It is my experience that fewer people harvest a moose in 13 compared to other units. It has been my experience that many moose hunters hunt the area they know or like the best, rather than switching to other units; I know many GMU 13 hunters, some with decades in that unit, coming home empty regularly. I have heard locals complain that management directives seem to be sending too many hunters their way, via regulations.

I have no idea if the actual moose numbers are going down. Hey, maybe the hunters I'm familiar with are getting too old to chase one down; got me. That's why I asked.

Cowboy, you got numbers?

I see what your saying.

I don't have numbers either. Fish and game hasn't finished processing harvest reports and they didn't fly surveys due to lack of snow.

The Bio did say that hunting success did seem to be down this year. Mostly due to weather, but other factors may be accountable as well.

I'll see if someone there can get me the harvest permit numbers for before and after the new tier I regs.

sent from my igloo

Thumbs up Thanks

I'll see if someone there can get me the harvest permit numbers for before and after the new tier I regs.
    Thanks cowboy. I'd be pretty sure I'm not the only one that would have great interest in seeing the real numbers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Board of Game meeting will be in Wasilla this year, and i am sure there will be a very thorough presentation done by unit 13 bios... of course.. you could always call becky, and ask her whats up.. she is friendly enough to answer..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Board of Game meeting will be in Wasilla this year, and i am sure there will be a very thorough presentation done by unit 13 bios... of course.. you could always call becky, and ask her whats up.. she is friendly enough to answer..
    Don't know becky, but I don't run in your circles much Vince. If you'd like to clarify by PM or post I'll call her. Or maybe cowboy will post some numbers. Or maybe I'll attend that meeting you speak of; has its date or month been announced?

GMU 13 is really screwed up. This tier 1 system has to go, the reguirement that teir 1 caribou permit holders hunt moose in GMU 13 is putting more pressure on an already low moose census. Then there is the Glenallen community hunt where thery can shoot ANY BULL in GMU 13. What a croc. Sounds like they are getting preference for living in Glenallen, GMU 13 has been it the courts alot, just for that reason. This is also putting more pressure on the hunters and the area. I have seen the numbers of camps in our area double in the last two years. In the last two years we have had 3 camps within a quater mile of our camp. I am going to write F&G, I hope my words don't fall on deaf ears, I have a feeling F&G is tired of hearing about unit 13.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Don't know becky, but I don't run in your circles much Vince. If you'd like to clarify by PM or post I'll call her. Or maybe cowboy will post some numbers. Or maybe I'll attend that meeting you speak of; has its date or month been announced?
    Becky is area bio... and meeting dates and times on the ADFG website
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by steve b View Post
    GMU 13 is really screwed up. This tier 1 system has to go, the reguirement that teir 1 caribou permit holders hunt moose in GMU 13 is putting more pressure on an already low moose census. Then there is the Glenallen community hunt where thery can shoot ANY BULL in GMU 13. What a croc. Sounds like they are getting preference for living in Glenallen, GMU 13 has been it the courts alot, just for that reason. This is also putting more pressure on the hunters and the area. I have seen the numbers of camps in our area double in the last two years. In the last two years we have had 3 camps within a quater mile of our camp. I am going to write F&G, I hope my words don't fall on deaf ears, I have a feeling F&G is tired of hearing about unit 13.
    i fought this to a stand still the last few year.. until the public shows up in force and crys... your stuck with it.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Becky is area bio... and meeting dates and times on the ADFG website
    Thanks. The only bio I have on speed dial is Don.

Smile

[QUOTE=steve b;1219101] Then there is the Glenallen community hunt where thery can shoot ANY BULL in GMU 13. What a croc.QUOTE]

You mention Glennallen residents. It's for Copper Basin residents, that's a big area, lotta folks.. How can folks from Anchorage or elsewhere, go up there, and get involved in a community harvest tag, and go shoot 3-4 bulls? It happened this year. I don't know, maybe they've got buddies who live in the Copper Basin who was their designated hunt coordinator. Anyways, I saw the pics, heard the stories. One Anchorage guy was pretty proud for shooting 3. All were mulligan (sublegal) bulls by general season criteria using the spike/fork/3/50 rule. How many more killed fit that criteria? I'd bet.....ALOT!!
    The published low numbers that are being spoke of, I believe, are for "bulls with antler restrictions (4BT/50in)" that AREN'T being killed in the general season. Hence, lower numbers. Bring the browtines back to 3 and you'll see the numbers rise a little. I could've shot a hardhorned 47" w/ 3n3, but nope, had to let him walk. If I'd have had an any bull permit, I could've easily shot 1 of the 5 "smaller" bulls I'd seen and been done. Which most folks do. From what I saw last year, there's plenty of moose getting killed there, they're just sublegal outside of the draw permit or community harvest any bull criteria.
    Oh, and to stay on topic of the thread, it's always about $$$$$...
    My .02...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast