Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tying lately?

Default Anyone tying lately?

Curious to see what patterns people are stocking up on for winter... I'm looking for some new pattern ideas and the motivation to break out my vise and boxes of materials.

Thanks!

I'm tying a lot right now, but it's a "cheat." Visiting the southern 48 at the moment and fishing trout in 60 degrees and sun screen. Not any #20-24's in my Alaska boxes, so I'm tying like crazy to fill the slots, both nymphs and dries. Sounds crazy but these fish are so picky that some days they want #20 parachute BWO's, some days #22 Thorax versions. Before and after the midday hatches it's #18-20 emergers an #18 Pheasant Tails. Fun stuff, but a far cry from what you're really asking.

I just picked up a few different colors of shlappen, so I am going to try tying up some different leech and lamprey patterns.

I'm tying a bunch because I want to improve my skills, plus I want to be have a box full of the flies I'm most likely to lose on the river once we start fishing again in April. I've been tying a lot of wet flies, both soft hackle and winged. I always enjoy Matt Grober's tying videos so yesterday I started tying up a bunch of his pheasant-tail beadhead soft hackles, which look much like flies I know are productive on the Chena.

Been tying Elk Hair Caddis dries. Actually, I've also tied some with caribou hair, as well as polar bear hair just for the heck of it. Maybe some Adams' next?

Sorry to say I never stop :-( stopped this year. Just placed couple of wholesale orders through Hareline and Shorties Hooks so more fun and excitement this winter. Polished off most of the Big boy stuff for my personal use i.e. Lamprey, Scuplins and Buggers and Stones as well as most of my Soft Hackle Beads about 90 Dz total. Starting on Dries after xmas however being personal use I skip most peoples standard stuff and stick to Down wing Trudes mostly coachmans, Griffith Gnats, and Hay Stacks "Original Sparkle Dun" and some Mid Thorax deals I use. Plans are to bring in our custom flies for sale on the web site in April during the Fairbanks outdoor show so I will be stuck to the vise about 40 hours a week staring in March ugh! Good thing I only coach hockey and work a full time job, run a boat rental gig and guide now and again. You know I thought back in the 90's I broke my-self of this foolish event but hey!

Sorry for rambling.

Tight Lines and good tying! ON a side note we are set for our Fly Tying Clinic at FWW this Feb so feel free to PM me if you just happen to be in Fairbanks and wish to sit it.

RMM
    BMR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	66433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	66434Tought since I rambled on and on I should at lest share some.

Tying up my normal alaska stuff as well as some tarpon flies.... just finished up some toads... sure would be cool to feed a silver king with something i tied

btw I was wondering where you were at brown bear.... Glad you enjoying some good fishing is weather thats not bone chilling

very nice! I love the olive WB, BlueMoose... classic.
    BrownBear, you crack me up. It's been awhile since I tied anything smaller than an sz8! Don't hurt your eyes!
    Good to see some folks getting after it, looks like I'll have to set up my vise this evening and get cracking. I need to replace some flies I lost while swinging in BC this fall... namely Intruders, Haymakers, and Leeches... maybe even a few ESL's... looks like I got work to do.

will post some pics later.
    happy tying!

What I've been up to - I tied up some Prince nymphs this afternoon. The body's a little short, but I'm keeping at it.

Attachment 66464

Default Smolts: Action!

Finally rounded up my stuff and started trying that Roundhouse Smolt (post #9 in http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=lamprey) that G Smolt posted.

I like smolt (and other streamer) patterns with a lot of action like this one if you saw G_Smolt's photo. I've had success with smolt patterns using long, thin, barred hackle down the side like this one, but the long herl-like stuff on top looks ideal for a lively action, just not sure what it is? Ostrich or something maybe?

Yep, smolts.

It looks like the photo wasn't inserted correctly and seems to have disappeared from the server (plus I'm not being given the option to edit my posts - not so sure about this forum software), so giving it another shot. This is a Prince nymph I tied yesterday. As I mentioned I think the body's short but I'm hopeful the fish won't mind too much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	66469

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    As I mentioned I think the body's short but I'm hopeful the fish won't mind too much.
    I actually do that on purpose whenever possible, "sizing up" one or two notches. The fish don't care, and the loss rate on fish goes way down when your hook can get a little deeper bite. Works as well on big salmon flies as on tiny trout flies. Most guys like #4 for silver salmon for example, but I tie my #4 fies on #2 hooks. Here lately my #18 Pheasant Tail nymphs are tied on #16 hooks. No probs in the strike department, and more big fish in the net.

Time to take those Prince nymphs fishing! They look great to me, and after fishing them a little, I bet you tie the next batch the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    ... just not sure what it is? Ostrich or something maybe?

Yep, smolts.
    What materials did you decide to use, 6x? I thinks Ostrich would be the way to go on that one... tying on a tube or shank?

I've decided to start my tying binge with an Exasperator Scuplin... could work for either scuplin or smolt/minnow and tied in various colors. I too like the baitfish pattens as they can be fished any time of year, with multiple presentations, and fish usually crush them!

match the hatch.

Ostrich... man, this piece of ostrich must be 6 yrs old. It's gray, but looks good on the fly.
    The herl is going to have lots of action in the water - so I think I'll tie up a bunch of it to try it out before I look for more in white/cream maybe.

jockomontana, Exasperator Sculpin like one of these?
    http://shop.pacificflyfishers.com/fl...ulpin-natural/
    http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...10cb2832df.jpg
    Those rabbit strip zonker flies do a great job emulating smolt/leeches I think.

Good ties everyone! It's always fun to see what others are doing at the vice.

Post up a pic of your smolt pattern 6X!

After a binge of reloading the past few weeks, got back to my tying desk over the weekend. Been battling a cold - which is always a good excuse to be lazy and stay inside at the vice for a day. Tied up some various streamer patterns to send down to my dad and brother in Wyoming - kept a few to add to my own stash.

Articulated baby trout.
    Trailer hook (short shank, straight eye):
    Marabou, clump tied (color varies)
    Wood duck flank collar
    Attach the trailer hook with 25lb hard mono and a couple of beads.
    Front hook (medium shank, straight eye, point to be cut off):
    Marabou, clump tied
    Marabou, palmered
    2 pieces of krystal flash, 1 piece folded and tied in per side (color varies)
    Wood duck flank collar
    Lead dumbell eye
    Wool head, colors accents added with sharpie markers

Slumpbusters (basically conehead squirrel/mink zonkers)
    size 6-8 streamer hook
    conehead with 10 to 15 wraps of small lead wire
    holobraid body
    wire rib (color to match/contrast as desired)
    squirrel or mink zonker strip for wing/tail. Use the same strip to wrap a collar behind the conehead.
    subject to variation

Also tied up a few mallard spey patterns to add to my steelhead box.
    Embossed tinsel for tag and rib
    Purple floss
    Brown/Black rooster coque tail feather for hackle on front half
    Slightly burned mallard flank for hackle
    Throat: mallard secondary (speculum)
    Wing: bronze mallard

Same thing, but substituting medium oval tinsel for the embossed tinsel.
    Also used unburned mallard flank, so gets more of a clumping effect.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Anyone tying lately?

I've been tying steelhead flies for BC. Be there at the beginning of April.

Nicely done Wyo2AK . I hope this is the start of a run of spey you intend to tie over the winter.
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Wow I remember back in the day when I was fishing Atlantics and tying all those time consuming really neat flies flank and hairwing patterns still have a nicely done shadow box hanging on my wall from back in the day. Spey Buggers need a say more! Wow I am getting lazy!

Nice job guys!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast