Thread: A larger perspective . .

Default A larger perspective . .

Don't know where to post this, but here's a glimpse of where Alaska's commercial sportfishing fits into a larger context for at least one guide service. Am not posting this as criticism, just as a glimpse of a larger context. Received the material by email, names deleted.

We finished up with a very busy & Successful Alaska season in september, Then aYukon River Moose hunt, and North & South dakota in November.
    It is now time to get out of the cold & snow, and head south to Los Suenos, Costa
    Rica. I will be there from Dec ... to March .... It is shaping up to be an
    excellent high season as there high numbers of sailfish, dorado and some tuna
    around right now.
    Most Boats are getting 3-8 sails a day, a shot at a marlin and several dorado at
    this time. 10 boats just finished fishing the WBS world championship out of Los
    Suenos and released 256 billfish in 3 days.

we still have some openings on the ......... for the high season, if you would
    like to get in on some of the exciting warm blue water action call us at any of the
    numbers below.

A new feature we are offering on the ............. this year besides the regular
    chartered fishing trip that includes every thing, at the regular daily charter
    rates, is a basic rental of the boat with Captain, crew & all tackle for $750.00
    per day. this does not include, fuel, bait, ice, drinks or any food. This gives
    you the option of going out as far or as short as you want for fishing, and have
    your choice of the types of food and drink you want. if you want to go out to the
    50-60 mile line with the big shiny yachts, stay in closer with the charter boats,
    or close to shore, it is all up to you and how much or as little fuel you want to
    use. While it is normally fairly good fishing within the normal range of the
    charter boats, sometimes it is red hot & the bite is off the charts beyond that
    range.

we are also in the near future be offering a non-equity boat sharing plan, similar
    to a time share, call or e-mail me for details & info on this option.

Alaska as usual produced some great fishing this past summer for both salmon &
    halibut, the kings were down on the Kenai, but we caught plenty of kings on our May
    saltwater combo trips and fly-outs to the Nushagak River, What the Kenai lacked in
    Kings we made up for with a record run of sockeye (Red) salmon, and also pink, &
    silver salmon. Halibut was great again with very few blow off days, and 100%
    success rates on boat limits.

The summer of 2013 for the Alaska fisheries is already booking up so it is best to
    get your dates reserved as soon as possible.

to keep up on updates, and frequent fishing reporst from both Costa Rica & Alaska,
    be sure to friend and like us on Face book for............... and alaska and costa
    rica fishing charters.

From all the guides at ................... we want to
    thank all of you who fished with us this last season and wish you all a Merry
    Christmas, & happy New Year. we look forward fishing with you in the future.

Tight Lines, ...........

Not sure what you mean by larger context. Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Not sure what you mean by larger context. Care to explain?
    Economic: Management options have economic implications for the various user groups, private and commercial.

"Non equity time share in a boat" This guy sounds like a con artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Economic: Management options have economic implications for the various user groups, private and commercial.
    Could not agree more. But this fact can be applied to an almost limitless number of circumstances. Everything from national interest rates to the price of gasoline. When managers exercise their options (ideally, based on solid information), the private sector responds based on business/economic opportunities. It's no different in Alaska than it is elsewhere. Indeed, alot of folks take advantage of the fish/wildlife opportunities in the Great Land based entirely on their ability to make some $$'s. It's not my cup-of-tea, but each to his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Indeed, alot of folks take advantage of the fish/wildlife opportunities in the Great Land based entirely on their ability to make some $$'s. It's not my cup-of-tea, but each to his/her own.
    With all respect Cohoe angler, despite whether it's your cup of tea or not, Alaska provides the opportunities we all enjoy largely because of her abundant natural resources. I don't hear many Alaskans saying that profiting off of fossil fuels isn't their "cup of tea". Fish, like fossil fuels, are a very valuable natural resource that provide many Alaskans with a way of life. Unlike fossil fuels, they're a renewable resource, so if we manage them responsibly, we can harvest the abundance for many years to come. It benefits all of us, and regardless of your profession, abundant salmon runs make this a better place to live, both economically and recreationally.

I get what you were saying, and that's totally cool. I just wanted to make the point that someone who fishes only because it makes them money is no different than the sloper who gets on the plane only because it pays the bills. Actually, I know many more commercial fishermen who would pay money to keep fishing than I know slopers who would pay for their tickets to Prudhoe or Deadhorse. Don't know many slopers who say "it's in my blood".

My statement wasn't a model of clarity..... I wasn't making a statement on Alaska's natural resources, either fish/wildlife or oil. I was just stating that some folks choose to pursue a livelihood by providing guiding services to paying customers to catch fish and wildlife in Alaska (and elsewhere). I choose not to pursue this occupation ("not my cup of tea"), but I recognize that each person can pursue their own destiny/dream as they see fit.

I get it. I was speaking to those who think that depending on our natural resources for income is somehow wrong or 'greedy'. It seems to be a common sentiment these days.