Thread: Dog runs off with wife's rack...right under my nose!

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default Dog runs off with wife's rack...right under my nose!

I know that this isn't necessarily "Alaska Hunting", but the more I think about it, it's so ridiculously funny I thought you might enjoy.

Today I was stacking firewood and was in the process of taking a load from my trailer parked in the driveway to the the back yard. I looked up and saw this black lab running off with strange looking headgear. While I wasn't looking he obviously walked into my garage and grabbed one of the whitetail racks off the floor from one of the two bucks my wife shot in TX over the Thanksgiving week. As he ran off, he had his teeth into the skull plate such that the antlers were sticking out both sides of his head just like they belonged there. I chased after him but there was no way that he was going to drop it or stop. I've seen him around from time to time but I have no idea where he lives or I'd hunt him down. I guess he got an early chew toy for a Christmas present. I just wish that I would have had a camera in hand. Unfortunately, the wife's not happy about loosing her "rack" but what a great excuse to go back out and try again. Here's a photo of the "one that got away".

2012-Texas-Deer-GL002.jpg

Dont feel too bad, in the last three years I have lost a set of velvet caribou antlers, two sets of spike moose antlers, and a complete brown bear skull to my dogs. Little buggers....the bear skull really peeved me off. It was mascerating in a tub of water and one of my dogs tipped it over and stole the whole thing. I did manage to find the jaw, but that was it..

wasn't expecting that story... and it wasn't at good as the one running through my head..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Dog runs off with wife's rack...right under my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    wasn't expecting that story... and it wasn't at good as the one running through my head..
    That's what I was thinking, I guess you beat me to the punch. Lol

And, over the years, I've had two other guides run off with moose horns taken by my hunters. They may not be "better" than dogs, but they surely are more stealthy about their stealing !!!

Eric, I can picture what you describe with the dog chomped down on the skull plate, running away, and the antlers sticking up on both sides. Funny as heck from our perspective, but not so much so from your wifes view. I hope you can track down where this dog lives and/or recover your wifes rack. I've owned labs for 20 years that all dug holes in my lawn, and I thought that was bad, but this takes the cake LOL!

I'm not positive, but I think there's a verse in the bible something about no dog shall covet thy neighbors wives racks......(grin)

Dogs chewed on the tines of this season's moose antlers, will have to keep them up high next year.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Quote Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think there's a verse in the bible something about no dog shall covet thy neighbors wives racks......(grin)
    Mike, if nothing else, this one was worth the post all by itself. She's was disappointed, but it was so funny to watch the thing unfold that it was almost worth it. It's just too bad I couldn't capture it on film.

Quote Originally Posted by ekberger View Post
    I know that this isn't necessarily "Alaska Hunting", but the more I think about it, it's so ridiculously funny I thought you might enjoy.

Today I was stacking firewood and was in the process of taking a load from my trailer parked in the driveway to the the back yard. I looked up and saw this black lab running off with strange looking headgear. While I wasn't looking he obviously walked into my garage and grabbed one of the whitetail racks off the floor from one of the two bucks my wife shot in TX over the Thanksgiving week. As he ran off, he had his teeth into the skull plate such that the antlers were sticking out both sides of his head just like they belonged there. I chased after him but there was no way that he was going to drop it or stop. I've seen him around from time to time but I have no idea where he lives or I'd hunt him down. I guess he got an early chew toy for a Christmas present. I just wish that I would have had a camera in hand. Unfortunately, the wife's not happy about loosing her "rack" but what a great excuse to go back out and try again. Here's a photo of the "one that got away".

2012-Texas-Deer-GL002.jpg
    I was doing a Euro mount this Fall on my moose... had it boiled down to the fial cleaning... set the rack on top of my beach truck.. next day I noticed it gone..

Were some scratches on my hood... I looked around and going across my drain ditch I found black bear tracks... the guy had come in the yard and drug the rack a 1/2 mile out into the meadow.. chewed up the skull, and left it..

Odd he never came for the quarters I hung for a week... this Summer he came it for fish compost.. and now Moose head compost..

Ouch.. lucky to find the rack I guess.

Watch the skwirlz if you hang them up high. Little nut grabbers got one tine on both mine and the wife's bou antlers. I gut shot the lil nutty - we are almost even!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Dogs chewed on the tines of this season's moose antlers, will have to keep them up high next year.

I brought a Walrus oosik back from Bristol bay bay one year.. still covered in decaying matter... so I set in on the shed roof...it fell off and the dog chewed on it for a couple days.. after finding it, and it boiling the rest the way clean..... not a single scratch on it... bullet proof.