Thread: Spring Black Bear

Default Spring Black Bear

There may be a chance I might have some money this spring, so what better way to blow it than to head to the Great Land for some bear hunting. If anyone else is in the initial planning stages of a bear hunt, let me know if you might want to go in together. I wouldn't want to commit to anything too expensive or inflexible (like a fly-in), just in case the money doesn't appear in my bank account. But other than that, I'm up for most anything (baiting, boating, etc.). Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

I'm following this thread. Thinking about my first AK spring black bear -- but probably not until spring of 2014.

I'm thinking about a spring bear too, but I just have to walk out my back door ....

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    I'm thinking about a spring bear too, but I just have to walk out my back door ....
    Yep - same here! Helps to have the best backyard just about anywhere.

I was planning a spring bear and brown hunt but i don't have them right utside my back door so i guess i will have to take the boat out and look for them.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Let me know what the time period is you plan on being up here.

Keep me posted as well. I won't be home till the first 1/2 of June but if that works out I could almost certainly find a couple days to wonder the road system looking for a bruin.

some members are rubbing salt in the wound instead of a freshly skinned hide

Hunting from a boat along the coast is a different experience where you spot from the main boat, get to shore in something smaller, then the STALK begins...it feels like delayed excitement. Adrenelin starts when boots hit the beach, winds are tricky but it seems more natural then a bait site. First shot should take out lungs and a shoulder to anchor the bear. If you don't, after ten yards, you'll step into the thickest tangles known to man. Imagine a forest blow down with ten years of overgrowth, barely any leaves to capture droplets of crimsom just wet moss and roots.

Pinch those pennies and get up here. Your only regret will be, "Why didn't I do this sooner and more often."

Default Timeframe

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. My available timeline is any time in May EXCEPT Memorial Day. I also have all of June available EXCEPT the 10th through the 16th. I don't know too much about hunting the road system but I understand it's usually a "spot from the road and hike up to the alpine" deal. Sounds a bit like sheep hunting.

If you plan a hunt, let me know time period before or after. I'll have baits running hard. Probably won't be available from about May 25 to June 2 for my annual pilgrimage to southeast AK.