Thread: How to setline for burbot

Default How to setline for burbot

Thought I'd share this link that I saw over at iceshanty. Two good videos that show you almost everything you need to know about setlining for burbot from Fish&Game. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ucation.burbot

I picked up a couple good tips from the How to Setline video. He didn't talk about what kinds of hooks to use, though.

My two-cents is that circle hooks are best, or off-set octopus hooks. The problem is that it's really hard to get big enough circle hooks. The hooks will be giant, but the gap is still too small to be legal. I have some small halibut hooks that do the trick. Another tip is to make sure to have a ruler or a leatherman to measure the gap in the hooks when you're in a place like Sportsmans, for example. Kind of frustrating that even though the packages will say 8/0 or 6/0, they won't give the measurement for the gap between point and shank. It's happened to me where I've bought 10/0 circle hooks that looked big enough, only to get home and find out that the gap is still too small. Sometimes you can put hooks like that in a vice and bend them out a bit, but it's a pain, and it doesn't work too well with really stout hooks. So have something on hand to measure the gap. In Fred Meyer's, you can just grab a tape measure or a ruler from another section in the store.

But aside from that small issue, I think they did a really good job in those videos. I can confirm that whitefish consistently works the best as bait. (Even though I caught my biggest burbot ever on a few chicken livers threaded on to a size 8/0 J-hook. I thought I found the secret there, but I never caught another burbot again on chicken livers. And I tried!)

My son watched the setlining video and now he wants to go after some burbot this weekend. Can't turn that down!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ucation.burbot

one note-

circle octopus hooks have worked best. I tried circle, octopus, and circle octopus. The latter outperformed the other two by far. Just my observation. Also if you dont have access to whitefish, herring has outperformed lampreys for me and tail and head pieces off of the eelpout itself should work well.

Jeez...

So after taking the trouble to trailer the snowmachines, drive, and then snowmachine out and away from all the herds of people on the Tanana River to setline, and getting nothing two days in a row,... I come to find out from a friend that a lot of people have been catching burbot pretty good right there at the Chena Pump boat launch. There must be 30 sets fishing there on any given day. Burbot drive me crazy sometimes!

I also saw the 30-40 set lines near the boat launch. Seems lame to me. I'm thinking about dropping some lines but I would do it at least 5 miles out of town. I think those guys are a pain in the arse for setting up lines all over the trail. Half those guys are setting up in the main channel and in front of the bluff in over 20' of fast water.