Thread: Rewiring and other stuff

Default Rewiring and other stuff

So in a tragic tidal accident, my boat was flipped (no one was hurt or even on it.) Right now I am still waiting on insurance, but I am trying to put a plan together to get my boat back up and online.

I am going to go with Lowrance and there NMEA 2000 setup:

HDS 7 gen2 50/200khz
    LMF-200 guage
    EP-60R Fuel flow sensorh
    EP-65R tank level sensor
    Yamaha engine connection
    Sonic hub
    NMEA 2000 starter kit

The concept seems simple enough. Setup a Tconnect bank at the rear of the boat to hook up the Yamaha, transducer,ep-60, and ep-65. Send a cable to the front of the boat with a Tconnect bank under the console to connect the sonichub and interface the HDS 7 and LMF-200 guage.

Almost too simple. Am I missing something?

I am having a dealer install the engine. The wiring will be relativly simple:

(aft)
    Bilge pump
    Stern light
    Pot puller

(FWD)
    Sidelights
    HDS 7
    Guage
    Sonichub
    Wipers
    VHF
    Breaker panel and bus bar

Any tips before I get started? Any lessons learned from other jobs? Anyone want me to keep this thread going until I am finished (provided insurance doesn't total the boat?)

Thanks!

While I am at it, what type/size wire for the different jobs? I have a good idea of what I am going to do, but please feel free to throw in suggestions.

I am an electrician but there is a book out there that would be a good reference for wire size, fuses and standards. The book is "BOATOWNERS ILLUSTRATED HANDBOOK OF WIRING" It refers to bonding and grounding also , which is kinda a grey area. But like everything there is always more than one right way to do a job.

You are in Ketchican, and I know that there are some very good Electricians in the Coast Guard at the base.You might be able to work out a trade or good deal with one of them. I did boat work on the side when I was on the Naushon. Best of luck to you.

I already have an EM to help me out. The ET's I asked had no clue what NMEA 2000 was. Thought that was kinda funny...

Who ever you get make sure he knows how to wire a boat per ABYC standards.