Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Club offers/rental planes/or plane for sale-Need PPL

Default Flying Club offers/rental planes/or plane for sale-Need PPL

I'm getting ready to move to Alaska and become an Alaska State Wildlife Trooper but before the academy I need to get my PPL and need a plane to rent, borrow, or buy into a share for my Flight Training with an Instructor I have already lined up. I am looking for the most economical way to do this as I'm already spending a lot of money to get to Alaska with my wife and son, with a new daughter on the way. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. I am very committed to achieving this goal and know Alaska is the place to do it. I would even look at buying a plane outright if the price was right and the aircraft was even better. I need a good trainer at first so a Cessna 150 or similar would be fine, but open to suggestions or different aircraft also. I want to eventually open a small Air Taxi service and offer guided hunts down the road so a decent bush plane that is still a good starter is also fine. I'm a fast and well rounded learner so I can handle something a little more complicated and I will work as hard as I have to so that I can learn with it but still use it for making a living and having some fun on the side. Thank you very much I look forward to any help you are willing to provide. God Bless America, and Merry Christmas!
    Nate

I need to get my PPL and need a plane to rent, borrow, or buy into a share for my Flight Training with an Instructor I have already lined up.
    A. So you have an instructor without a plane and she/he does not know where to obtain one? Wow....There is a couple clues in there for you.

I am looking for the most economical way to do this as I'm already spending a lot of money to get to Alaska with my wife and son, with a new daughter on the way.
    B. And it is going to cost you more to live here. So get over it. You will not make any friends among us real Alaskans by complaining about how much it cost you to get here so you could take a State of Alaska job.

I want to eventually open a small Air Taxi service and offer guided hunts down the road
    C. You and everyone else who likes flying. Here in Alaska you cannot throw a snowball without hitting a private pilot. From the same location you could probably fire a pistol and accidentally hit a commercial pilot. They are not rare, nor special. Most do something else for a living. I was a Law Dawg for 20 years because flying would not pay the bills I liked to make.

D. You do not say which area of the State you have targeted as your new residence. That will make a huge difference in aircraft availablity.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

A. I never said my instructor doesn't have or know how to obtain a plane, I'm simply testing the waters of what is available out there for my own reasons. Some of which is I don't expect my instructor who is a good friend of a guide I work with periodically in Wasilla, who is doing me a huge favor by greatly reducing his rates and remaining flexible with my time frames and needs as I move and get established to hold my hand and do everything for me. I'm going to need to rent/buy eventually anyways so I may as well see what is available now and if I can make something happen that will set me up for my future plans.

B. I wasn't complaining about anything, simply stating the fact that I got some other areas to spend some money so I am trying to be as smart and planned out as I possibly can without wasting my hard earned money. I'm not some chump who is coming to Alaska to take anything away but to give to it. I also am coming back to Alaska after a number of years in Ca, my mother who lived there for 15+ yrs died so I had to leave after that. So I have spent my fair share up there and have no plans of stepping on anyone's toes. I'm simply taking my family back to the place where I had the best years of my life and try to share that with my kids now and teach them all the great things Alaska has to offer.

C. I'm well aware that there are a lot of pilots in Alaska and a lot of competition there, isn't capitalism great. That's what America is all about. I have built a business in the solar industry for the last 5 years in Ca and trust me you can take that same pistol and take out quite a few solar guys without trying very hard. I'm not doing this to get rich by any means unless that happens a long the way, I simply love flying and hunting and if I can do it in what I know is the best state in our nation and make a couple bucks a long the way, Praise God. I do have a family and I will provide for them so that is why I'm doing all I can to become a Wildlife Trooper. To make sure they are taken care of, but also have a pretty fun side venture to enjoy with as many people as I can.

D. I thought I mentioned I'm looking to be in Wasilla area, but kinda depends on where I get posted after the academy in Nov. I will be doing my flight training in Wasilla area so that is where I need to locate plane options for now and hopefully be able to stay there after the academy.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep that in mind.

The best guy to learn from in the Palmer / Wasilla area is Jay Baldwin.

Get it before you get to Alaska!
    Tim

Why do you say that Tim? Everything I've found is way cheaper in Ak than Ca, and I also thought all the hours I can possibly get would be best if they were in Alaska. Is there something else I should look for?
    Nate

thank you. Do you have his contact info by chance, or where I should look to find it?

Nate,

Congrats on getting selected to the AST academy. You don't have to be from AK to be able to give advice like; I'll bet you'll be plenty busy after you graduate, and probably low on disposable income, so I'd finish your rating before you leave CA. All the unknowns of moving, starting a new career, etc always seem to throw your life into turmoil and uncertainty for 6 months to a year. I know every one of the 10 times I've moved within the military is was fairly traumatic, even more so when we had kids. Tread lightly, I'll bet you run into a few guys from the forum while you're up there)

Mike-

Weather, daylight hours (or lack thereof) and lack of rental aircraft availability can really drag out your training time here in Alaska.
    Avgas prices up here are not very low either... But it sounds like the Undocumented Workers Enclave of California is not all that affordable as well. Probably too much tax on av-gas and flying in general.
    Arizona and Nevada have always been known for good flying weather and Flying Cert rating mills. How close are they to your current location?

Quote Originally Posted by isthatnormal View Post
    Why do you say that Tim? Everything I've found is way cheaper in Ak than Ca, and I also thought all the hours I can possibly get would be best if they were in Alaska. Is there something else I should look for?
    Nate
    Flying in Alaska is simply different, period. Try your best to acquire Alaska time. You'll be a better pilot for it.

What Griz and float pilot are both true. I'm really surprized that it is cheaper in Alaska!
    Tim

Awesome, thank you very much Mike. Really makes since and I appreciate the encouragement.
    Nate

That makes since Float. I'm a good ways away from AZ and NV, but our area in CA is pretty good weather and available aircraft its just so expensive and I was really wanting to get experience in AK but the certification is what really matters right now for the Troopers. I have found a couple schools within 45 min of where we live that would work however they run about 12K all said and done. When I can get it done in Wasilla for about 4K, and getting AK flight time. I have my Prt-61 training curriculum already to knock out as much written and book knowledge that I can before actual flying but I just need to finalize in air training. I will be moving up there prior to academy in May-June so I'll have just enough time to complete PPL training if I can get a reliable plane set up and utilize the instructor I have already. Thanks again for your help, its def makes sense.
    Nate

Jay Baldwin

contact Jay directly at
    cubman@youflyalaska.com or (907)745-0945.

Nate,

I'm assuming that you're trying to complete your PPL in order to try to expedite your eventually flying for AST? There's a lot smarter folks on here than I, but I believe you've got at least a couple of years to include your year probation before you can be considered for any of the special duties. Of course I guess that could be sped up if you volunteer for isolated duty, your CA wife will love that)

Mike-

Mike-

Yes.... nothing says I love you,,, like drinking the diesel-fuel flavored water of Kotzebue or listening to the random rifle fire during a 50 below zero evening in Fort Yukon.

That is funny Float Pilot. Reminds me of the name of the fresh water supply for Kotzebue...Hepatitis Lake....
    0ne of my favorite trooper stories....having a gun fight on the ramp getting off the plane, on your first day on the job and you haven't made it into the terminal yet to pickup your bags. Welcome to Kotzebue in the late fifties....

Yea Mike I have a while before I can fly with ASWT, however I have a lot better chance at getting into the Wildlife division with PPL in place prior to academy starting. I also have a cousin who is a helicopter pilot (commercial, instructor) who is going to be my partner in opening a small Air Taxi/outfitting company prior to academy when we move in early June at the latest, so its more than the troopers I'm doing this for. Also, the troopers is not a sure thing by any means and I need options to provide for my family. I dont expect to make a huge income off a small air taxi service, but I have already lined up work with some other guides in Wasilla that I will be working for and getting my time in so I can apply for Guide certs. I don't mind working in the bush but I have a pretty fair chance in wasilla or soldotna so cross my fingers. My wife aint some prissy Cali girl either funny guy, shes originally from Washington so shes tough, she can handle the bush if need be. She may look like a girly girl but she gets down in the mountains. haha
    Yea float that sounds like one romantic date night right there, haha/
    Nate

Nate, Let me fill you in on the truth about learning to fly in AK. It is expensive and takes forever. I have been working on mine for just over a year. I work rotational work so that blurs the lines on time frame a little. When I am home it seems the weather is less than favorable. I have been stumped by wind, IFR and icy runways more than I care to count not to mention it sucks flying when the temps drop to around 0, at least in any plane I have flown in. If I could I would head to Arizona for two weeks and try and get it finished there. Once you get to AK go fly with a instructor to get you familiar to the area and our unique weather. $12K seems like a lot in CA. Have you checked with independents in your area? The going rate per hour in Wasilla/Palmer area is about $50 hour for instructor and the plane can vary but around $100 hour for a C-150. Your gonna want to insure yourself during training and that is gonna add some expense and I am sure would be cheaper in CA. Just my two cents.

On another note. You might be a quick learner in general, but that means squat in an airplane until you can prove it. I thought it would be easier than it is and always thought I myself was a quick learner with equipment. There is a lot going on in the cockpit for a newbie even flying around PAWS. The stress level can trump the skills at times when your new. I am not ashamed to admit I pulled some stupid moves my first couple hours
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Nate, Let me fill you in on the truth about learning to fly in AK. It is expensive and takes forever. I have been working on mine for just over a year. I work rotational work so that blurs the lines on time frame a little. When I am home it seems the weather is less than favorable. I have been stumped by wind, IFR and icy runways more than I care to count not to mention it sucks flying when the temps drop to around 0, at least in any plane I have flown in. If I could I would head to Arizona for two weeks and try and get it finished there. Once you get to AK go fly with a instructor to get you familiar to the area and our unique weather. $12K seems like a lot in CA. Have you checked with independents in your area? The going rate per hour in Wasilla/Palmer area is about $50 hour for instructor and the plane can vary but around $100 hour for a C-150. Your gonna want to insure yourself during training and that is gonna add some expense and I am sure would be cheaper in CA. Just my two cents.

On another note. You might be a quick learner in general, but that means squat in an airplane until you can prove it. I thought it would be easier than it is and always thought I myself was a quick learner with equipment. There is a lot going on in the cockpit for a newbie even flying around PAWS. The stress level can trump the skills at times when your new. I am not ashamed to admit I pulled some stupid moves my first couple hours
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast