Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, Im here now what?

Default Okay, Im here now what?

I was fortunate enough to relocate to Palmer this fall. And like everyone else that moves to Alaska I can't wait to start enjoying the hunting opportunities. I hunted POW last spring with my brother and took a great bear with my bow.

So now, the next question is what next? What did you guys start on, where and how much gear do I need to buy? This should generate lots of opinions, and I appreciate each one.

Hugh
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    What did you guys start on, where and how much gear do I need to buy? This should generate lots of opinions, and I appreciate each one.

Hugh
    Build you a traditional long bow like boudarc's and hunt with that.

Crazy long bow guys, they have my respect:

Buy a good snow shovel that will be the most used piece of gear this time of year

Hunting well the possibilities are endless. You mentioned fall but when will you be a resident. That will determine a lot of your hunting for next year

That looks like a pig of a bear! Congrats! Depends on what animals you want to hunt and where? I would assume you already have some gear if you already hunt? I'm not an expert as I've only lived here for 4 years but I get a few things each year and hopefully one day when my son is old enough I will have enough. Lol yeah right!

Boy, that's a loaded question, Hugh. What are your priorities? What gear do you already have? What kind of time off do you have, and how much money do you hope to spend? There is a world or possibilities out there, but starting to figure out a direction depends a lot on what you're hoping for and how realistic your expectations are.

Nice Bear!! Looks like a real hawg and you are already in the swing. And Cabela's is on its way

I just moved here 2.5 years ago. I've been lucky to meet some of Alaska best. You've started with black bear, good choice. If you have money to go, go far and out take a plane, then take another. It's the only way to get away. I started with black bear, then caribou, then brown bear then goat. Now it's going to be onto sheep since I have a full freezer . Then moose. Unless I get a musk ox or bison tag then they move to number 1!! I plan on harvesting each animal up here. Get a tent a pack a first aid kit a gun ammo food water and good hiking boots. That is all you need.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Welcome to Alaska.

In all seriousness Hugh things like gear and what to hunt can get overwhelming at times. I live in wasilla and if you want to meet up sometime for a cup drop me a message. I never mind helping out the newbies. I have hunted a time or two so I can probably point you in the right direction
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    I was fortunate enough to relocate to Palmer this fall. And like everyone else that moves to Alaska I can't wait to start enjoying the hunting opportunities. I hunted POW last spring with my brother and took a great bear with my bow.

So now, the next question is what next? What did you guys start on, where and how much gear do I need to buy? This should generate lots of opinions, and I appreciate each one.

Hugh
    [IMG][/IMG]
    From my experience start hunting around a close easy to access area start with day hunts and spend a night out in the bush before you buy anything. After a few trips you'll get the hint of what is needed. I made the mistake of buying to many top end expensive junk that has been less than needed while after hunting this season I got a better idea.

O ya put all your draw requests in only got tell Sunday. And don't mess it up like me.

Numero Uno- for my suggestion is get 2 copies of the regulations each for hunting, fishing and trapping (if you plan to trap) and wear that son of a gun thin. Read and re read it.
    Gear- Search old post on here for what works and what doesn't work so well. Really read the post (between the lines on some) people drop involuntary hints and sometimes they don't know it.
    Area Picking- pick a GMU study the regs for it scout it out and always have a plan B for that area in case there are other hunters in the area switch to plan B.
    Gonna have to have a ATV and snow machine or several pairs of boots take your pick, I prefer the ATV/snow machine deal though.
    Find a buddy thats been around a little bit and go out with them, it's not to hard to find a hunting buddy but it is a whole lot harder to find one you can trust when it comes down to the brass tacks of hunting and partnership.

Great Bear Hugh. Please turn on your PM. Jeff in Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Buy a good snow shovel that will be the most used piece of gear this time of year

Hunting well the possibilities are endless. You mentioned fall but when will you be a resident. That will determine a lot of your hunting for next year
    Not necessarily.....some people have money to burn........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

As for gear, you need to start with the stuff that is going to keep you dry and functioning. There are plenty of things that are nice to have, but the absolute must-haves are quality boots, rain gear, tent, and pack. Do not skimp on these four items. For specific recommendations and gear lists, the gear forum has tons of priceless information.

Spend the winter learning the regs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    From my experience start hunting around a close easy to access area start with day hunts and spend a night out in the bush before you buy anything. After a few trips you'll get the hint of what is needed. I made the mistake of buying to many top end expensive junk that has been less than needed while after hunting this season I got a better idea.
    I'd agree with this idea,....just get out there, with what you have,...
    (curious where you are coming from, for weather gear I mean, you look northern midwest, maybe?)

Get Out There, even in winter if you can, chasing coyotes, or their prey,...
    Everyday hunt, then weekend hunt you can,...find out where you got cold or wet, you'll figure it out that way

I'd really caution going down to the outdoor store, buying what looks good,...cause a lot of that seems to be overkill to me
    you'll end up with some, "Leather Bound case,.... for your extra shoelaces stash," for only $29,...it might even be Bear-Proof

You are obviously not a rookie,...adjust to AK in small adventures, find out what hurts ya, correct it, go back out
    You'll kill all kinds of stuff, see a lot of country in the learning
    might be more fun than doing a lot of internet time reading all the reviews

You might find you do a lot more "Out There" time than some of the folks with all that fancy gear, too
    and that's what you really want to do right?

PS: learning the regs is good, if you can't hunt much for Rez requirements yet, bring a camera,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Build you a traditional long bow like boudarc's and hunt with that.

Crazy long bow guys, they have my respect:

Looks like a recurve to me

Okay, thanks everyone! Maybe a little more information about me. My brother lives on POW(and he hunts with a long bow, even took a brownie on Admiralty with it). I have lots of hunting clothes(good wool stuff from KOM and SI). But I don't have an ATV or Snomobile. My brother and I put in for Musk Ox on (my brother killed one there)Nunavet and Browns on Kodiak. But I don't have a clue where to start hunting around here on my own. I have a 4wd with air lockers and a winch.

I have about 20 vacation days a year, and Ill be a resident Sept 13. For those that asked about my PM's, I think I turned them on!

Hugh

Gear can be an overwhelming issue up her man! I started with a raft, tent and a Honda and now I own 12 rafts, 4 canoes 5 snow-gos and the list just goes on and on. Start slow, buy what you need when you need it and look for used deals as many guys come up here to do the wild thing, buy lots of gear and then realize how hard it is ti make a living up her and how tough the hunting can be and they book. Buy their stuff!

Enjoy your experiences, I know I have for the past 16ish years!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Unit 23 drop camps and float hunts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast