Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

We've been searching high and low for places on the World Wide Web. We will be moving up in less than four months and have yet to find a decent place. Looking to live no further North than Chugiak and down to South Anchorage. If anyone owns property or knows someone who is looking to rent out a place beginning in April please feel free to PM me. Just looking for 2-3 bedrooms in a decent area and not spending toooooo much. We're poor folk ya know. Thanks in advance!

Good luck,
    Anchorage and surrounding areas are not cheap.
    I have a 3 bedroom 1 bath that is currently being rented for 1800.00 a month not including utilities. 1400 sq ft

Your best bet is Craigslist
    Stay away from Fairview or Mountainview and parts of Spenard, far side of Muldoon next to the mountains can be nice if you pick the right areas.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

If your poor you are coming to the wrong place to live. Figure about $1,400.00 to $1,900.00 a month rent plus utilties.

Default Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If your poor you are coming to the wrong place to live. Figure about $1,400.00 to $1,900.00 a month rent plus utilties.
    I'm not rich that's for sure, but BAH should cover the rent. I just don't want to spend too much.

You should contact the Housing people at JBER. They have lists of people who rent for military house allowance.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    You should contact the Housing people at JBER. They have lists of people who rent for military house allowance.
    The wife and I have been on AHRN and I went to the JBER site. The only listed AHRN. I've also been perusing alaskaslist.

Well not to be discouragingbut the closer you live to Anchorage the more itís going to be for rent. Thatis just the way it is. Sometimes itíscheaper to just buy a house then rent it.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

The reality is that you're not likely to find something this far in advance. I own a few rentals and my extended family owns quite a number, and we generally don't know that far in advance when something is going to come available. Some tenants give us long-term notice, but it is far more common to know a month out.

I second buying a home, why rent? Your just paying someone elses mortgage!! (Dont tell my tenants back in NC that though!) We own our home in Chugiak, VA loan, $1400 a month for a 3 bedroom 2 bath.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

My experience is just relax and look when you get here. There is plenty of availability and you'll know the lay of the land, schools, commute, etc. That is what I always did on military moves and it always worked out fine.
    I disagree with those that say buy, unless you know you plan on staying here or are guaranteed to be stationed here for 5 or more years. Yes it can work out well, but it also can be disastrous. The nationís economy is not exactly booming right now.

Some very good advice has been posted above..
    Check out these sites:
    Craigslist.com - Alaska
    Alaskaslist.com
    militarybyowner.com
    We moved to the valley for more bang for our buck! Just get a good commuter car and patience with traffic!

Default Help!!

I saw a lot of panic stricken military folks that got orders after the bubble burst down in Florida. My own military patents lost our first home in AK to a PCS. It took them years to recover financially from that. Purchasing a home is not a good short term investment and the interest is front loaded on most loans so you really aren't going to be money ahead there unless the property appreciates. The one big advantage is the interest being tax deductible on a mortgage but for most people it doesn't offset the cost of ownership in the short term. Big difference in having to call your land lord to let him/her know that the septic is flooding the yard vs digging into your own pocket and calling the plumber! 5 years into owning my home and I have put a new roof, new windows, septic repair, and new central heat into it to the tune if $30k along with the $1500/month mortgage. For us as a long term investment that is fine since we don't plan to sell.

Default Help!!

Well, the wife is probably staying back until our house gets sold in the lower 48. So I may luck out and just live in the camper I am bringing up for a buddy until I can find a place. Maybe I'll just find a nice camp ground for the summer and stay there to save some money. Preferably one close to some good fishing.

Thanks again for all the help. Two and a half months and I will be on my way.

Some folks stay on post at the RV spots for awhile.

Default Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Some folks stay on post at the RV spots for awhile.
    It will be warming up when I get there. Maybe I will just sleep in a tent and save some money.

Default Help!!

Todd o'banion with O'banion relocation services is a good place to look!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak1trackmind View Post
    Todd o'banion with O'banion relocation services is a good place to look!
    Thanks. Passed the link to the wife since she is the one picking the place. I just pay the rent. Haha.

I don't know anything about the relocation service recomended, but since the person that is the only post that member has made I'd treat it as spam and not a valid recomendation. Relocation services can be a complete waste of money so I'd look at getting some validation of any service. I'd also think there are many services available for free on base. While vacancy rates are always faily low around town, you'll be able to find something to rent and it shouldn't take more than a few days or at most a week to find something.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I don't know anything about the relocation service recomended, but since the person that is the only post that member has made I'd treat it as spam and not a valid recomendation. Relocation services can be a complete waste of money so I'd look at getting some validation of any service. I'd also think there are many services available for free on base. While vacancy rates are always faily low around town, you'll be able to find something to rent and it shouldn't take more than a few days or at most a week to find something.
    More than likely I will just live in the camper until we can find a place. Cheaper and easier and I can take it fishing with me on the weekends.