Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Luck Lately

Default Any Luck Lately

It seems like the posts have died down a bit. I was just wondering if anybody has had some success lately?

called in a gorgeous red fox last weekend up north... came in on my partners side and he shot and missed! dissapointing but exciting!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Well, I took this nice female yote, a XXL coon, and a XXL beaver yesterday. Sets crusted over last night at 22degree's and no canines today. I did snag another XXL coon in a DP though!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've been out about 8 times over the last 10 days (on the KP) calling w my 'fox pro' 'wildfire' and have had zero luck. I been using mostly the 2 snowshoe hare calls on it but have tried a bunch of others...other rabbit calls, some coyote calls, some bird calls, even a kitten in distress call. All to no avail. I have, however, had 3 different hawks attack my 'jack attack' attachment decoy. Most days I been taking the snow machine out but one of the days I just walked from the house here. The wife noticed 2 yotes running up the river below the house a few days ago and I scrambled for the rifle, but alas, it was one of the few times I had left it in the garage for the night. My snow machine is pretty quiet and I usually walk a quarter mile or so from it for the setup, but have yet to call in anything, cept birds. Am wondering if the snow machine is screwing things up. Although I pay attention to topography, wind direction and other noise inhibitors. I experimented w the caller while in Valdez last fall and was successful so .........Maybe just bad luck so far?? I usually like to do stuff on my own but am considering I may have to buddy up w someone a few times to feel more confident.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

No luck yet. gonna try calling tomorrow.

I was able to pick up a weasel this weekend and that was about it. My bait pile is being heavily used by what look like multiple marten but i really have no idea. The prints are about an inch and a quarter round prints all over in the snow. they dug tunnels all around my moose carcass. and my trail camera obviously don't work in these cold temperatures. I guess i would need to invest in a higher quality one then the cheapest out on the market.

Well here is another first animal for me. This marten i caught off of my bait pile.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marten #1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	66727

Congrats Sir! I think they are very pretty animals and wish I had them around here - or better yet me where they live! Your learning, keep at it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Supporting Member

Way to go, Josh! Keep piling up "firsts" this year.
    Last edited by spike9542003@yahoo.com; 12-24-2012 at 13:45. Reason: typo

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not much on my end... all the COLD and lots of snow in the area, seems to pushed all the yotes i was targeting into the further areas, ( i am guessing) just not seeing the sign we were at the start of the season. picked up an Ermine off a yote pile yesterday, looks like alittl colony of them have moved in to it. seen 4 sets of cat tracks.. one martin track.. and a mess made by porky... things are SLOW.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah I hear ya Vince. I went out Standard Creek last weekend and drove 15 miles in and saw maybe 3 sets of pred tracks. Mostly a lot of rabbit sign and moose. Saw three nice bulls and a cow with twins. Me and my partner were surprised they still had antlers on. Been hoping to find a shed or two to make some of my own hand calls out of. Now that theres a warm front coming I gotta fix a blown power steering line on the truck.

Made three stands yesterday and didn't see a thing. Has anyone had luck calling during snow storms? We were getting dumped on and wondering if that keeps the animals hunkered down?

I hunted 6 sets today and started right before the light was really good, about 40 miles out of Fairbanks along a riverbed. I didn't see hide nor hair of anything. tons of rabbit tracks in the snow up on the river banks though. I thought I would at least see some action since it has warmed up to about 5 degrees, but nothing, not even a stinking rabbit. whats up with the predators???

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    I hunted 6 sets today and started right before the light was really good, about 40 miles out of Fairbanks along a riverbed. I didn't see hide nor hair of anything. tons of rabbit tracks in the snow up on the river banks though. I thought I would at least see some action since it has warmed up to about 5 degrees, but nothing, not even a stinking rabbit. whats up with the predators???
    Not sure why you'd assume that because it warmed a little, it would make it better - that certainly hasn't been my experience. Colder has always been better for me. Of course it can get cold enough to keep me home, too.

I, for one, am a little discouraged. My neighbors complain about the weasels and fox population and I see tracks everywhere, but I cannot seem to connect. I have 13 traps set up (not a lot, I know but this is my first year at this) on my 10 acres near Talkeetna and for the life of me I can't seem to hit anything. With only a month to go, I don't see anything happening unfortunately at this pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Not sure why you'd assume that because it warmed a little, it would make it better - that certainly hasn't been my experience. Colder has always been better for me. Of course it can get cold enough to keep me home, too.
    It has been negative 30 and colder for about the past two weeks up here by fairbanks. I've read that animals are willing to move longer distances in reaction to a call because the warmer it is, they burn less calories moving around and keeping themselves warm. so i jsut figured that since it had warmed up almost 40 degrees that it would make them a bit more active. it was just a thought, but like i said, i didnt see a single thing in 6 sets.

Exactly right. The colder it is the more responsive the preds will be. Sometimes I think all the posting of successful hunts gives folks the idea that predator calling is easier than it really is. Calling predators in Alaska is HARD. It typically takes a few to several trips and lots of stands before a critter is called in. Even more to get a decent shot. Of course we hear about guys who have success right away, but that is not the norm and doesn't last over the long haul. Do a search about success frequency on this forum, there's been a couple threads about it. I do lots of calling and have for many years here in AK. I also take trips out of state to call where the predator density is much higher. Big difference. Alaska is hard. Good luck and hang in there, it's a numbers game at times.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

all i know is that after nealry 2 full weeks of -40 / -50 there was no sign on the trap line.. ran it again sunday and Tuesday ( christmas day) at -16 and 8 above respectivly.. and the sign exploded.. seen a yote on the road, fresh track in all the sno go trails. i think there is a limit in the deep cold , to the travel they do.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Exactly right. The colder it is the more responsive the preds will be. Sometimes I think all the posting of successful hunts gives folks the idea that predator calling is easier than it really is. Calling predators in Alaska is HARD. It typically takes a few to several trips and lots of stands before a critter is called in. Even more to get a decent shot. Of course we hear about guys who have success right away, but that is not the norm and doesn't last over the long haul. Do a search about success frequency on this forum, there's been a couple threads about it. I do lots of calling and have for many years here in AK. I also take trips out of state to call where the predator density is much higher. Big difference. Alaska is hard. Good luck and hang in there, it's a numbers game at times.
    OATS,
    i couldnt agree more. There simply is no Predator hunting, like Alaskan predtor hunting. There is nothing easy about driving alot of miles in alaskan road contitions, sitting on stand in -30, and countles stands with no fur called in. And that is the norm.
    This season i have killed one coyote and called in and missed one fox. though (after adding it all up) it took me 32 stands this season alone to produce these results, i consider it one of my best seasons. thats just the way it is.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Joefish, I have sat about the same number of stands as you this season and only seen a coyote and a fox also. And neither of them ever produced shots. I'm just starting out predator hunting and this is my first season in which I have done it seriously. I agree that is it extremely hard in alaska to predator hunt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast