Thread: 500 Smith, 400gr Magtech Penetration Test...

Default 500 Smith, 400gr Magtech Penetration Test...

I was dinking around watching some Youtube videos and landed on this one by Hickok45. I enjoy his videos, he has fun and likes to blow stuff to smithereens.

He's showcasing the 500 Smith in this video and shoots some 400gr Magtech ammo. At about 4 minutes in he shoots an old text book that looks to be about 4--6 inches thick. Check out the penetration, or rather the lack thereof, with this load. The bullet blows to pieces a couple inches into it. According to Magtech it's 1600fps, 400gr semi-jacketed soft point flat.

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sit...search=details
    Recommended use:

OTHER
    Suggested Use: Target & Match, Range, Plinking, Hunting

I can't help but think of how many guys in Alaska may be packing this stuff around in their 500's thinking they've got the ultimate bear gun. With that soft, weak bullet design being pushed that fast, I'd think it'd be a recipe for disaster if a guy shot a bear. Or even a moose in the shoulder.

I can see it now. New guy to Alaska goes to Walmart or Fred Meyer, buys a 500 Smith cuz he needs an Alaska Bear gun. Picks up a box of the "heavy 400gr" ammo sitting there, shoots a few at the range, loads up the gun and heads to the woods thinking nothing can stand up against the 50 cal. I suppose it's better than nothing but there are better ammo choices.

So, if your reading this and using this ammo in your 500 smith for bear protection, you might want get yourself some heavy hardcast instead. I know I would if it were me.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Never shot any magtech other than a couple of boxes of 357 years ago. But I would bet that the bullet would have fared better on flesh and bone than it did against that dry textbook. I have shot dry phonebooks with all manner of firearms and they are incredibly hard on bullets, almost like cinder blocks. I have seen dry books tear all the petals off Barnes TSX bullets, rivet solids, and crumble hardcast. Strange how that works. May not be the best bullet for penetrating grizzlies end to end, but I bet it would do a decent job on normal broadside or quartering shots normally taken at game.

Too fast, too frangible, too fat + phonebook = fail. Serious script shooters stick to solid spitzers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I had that link forwarded to me a couple weeks ago, I like his stuff too. Iím with Kid on the bullet, dry books are exceptionally hard to penetrate. Then the way he had it leaning there it was like a spring soaking up impact and spreading out the force. Not at all a good bullet but that test makes it look even worse than it is. I have preached it over and over though, use a proper bullet for the job! I see guys all the time packing their cannon of bear invincibility out in the woods . . . loaded with town frangible JHP or something totally not up to the job.

I also note that though he is a good handgun shot he hasnít shot enough heavy recoil stuff to learn how not to heart his hand. He is still caught in that Ďitís gonna heart so Iíll hold it tighter, yup that heart need to hold even tighterí circle of pain and regret that makes you hand it to your buddy so his hand hearts too . . . and he canĎt call you a wimp when you moan about it later. Ya, I know how guys think. LOL Itís counterintuitive but he needs to let off that death grip so the gun can buck some and dump some energy before it smacks the snot out of the web of his hand. You canít overcome truly big recoil by force, ya got to go kung-fu mindset and work with it rather than trying to stop it like with a smaller recoiling gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What ammo do you guys recommend for the .500? I just bought one and I am trying to decide the right bullets.

I witnessed an accidental discharge from a 9mm into a bookshelf once. From about 2 feet away the 115gr hardball only penetrated 1 half full 1" 3 ring binder, and about 3/4" into a 1" thick paperback book. I'm sure into soft tissue the bullet would have penetrated better than that, even going through bone first.

You guys have a point about the dry print. I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference it could make. But as I watched this I thought about a .452 355gr wfn that I cast that I shot at just under 1300fps. I blew a hole clean through a 3/8 steel swinger plate at 25yds. I'll have to shoot it into dry print and see what it does.

agoyne- do you handload?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by agoyne View Post
    What ammo do you guys recommend for the .500? I just bought one and I am trying to decide the right bullets.
    Hard cast lead with a wide flat nose, heavy as you can get and handle shooting in the 1100-1300fps range. If you don't reload CorBon makes good stuff.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You guys have a point about the dry print. I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference it could make. But as I watched this I thought about a .452 355gr wfn that I cast that I shot at just under 1300fps. I blew a hole clean through a 3/8 steel swinger plate at 25yds. I'll have to shoot it into dry print and see what it does.

agoyne- do you handload?
    No Snyd not yet. I want to get into it this year. What would you recommend for factory ammo?

No Snyd not yet. I want to get into it this year. What would you recommend for factory ammo?
    I don't own a 500 S&W, plus I cast and load my own for my handguns so I don't have any first hand experience with factory ammo. But like ADfields said, check out CorBon. Also, check out Buffalo Bore. I see they make a 440gr hardcast. Spendy stuff. 63 bucks for 20! Corbon 440's are 42 bucks for 12. Time to take up casting and loading so you can afford to feed that Beast!

Maybe some of the 500 smith guys around here will chime in. Or you could start a new thread on 500 smith ammo. I'm sure you'd hear from some guys with first hand experience.

Default getting started...

When I got started reloading for my .500 I first bought a Lee 440 gr gas check mold and the Lee sizer that pushes the bullet up though a sizing die using a regular press. The Lee sizing die came with a bottle of their liquid alox. bullet lube. The 1000 gas checks actually cost more that the mold and the sizing die.

I was skeptical having a lot of high end bullet casting stuff but I'll have to admit that the Lee set-up did a very good job. I've shot around a 1000 of the bullets, but have since picked up an RCBS mold and lube die for my Lyman/RCBS sizer.

I'd highly recommend the Lee setup to get up and running. Pick up some scrap lead and get started. The 1000 or so bullets I've shot cost me perhaps a $100 or so, and I still have the mold and sizing die. You'll have to put quite a few rounds though the .500 before you really feel comfortable with it, and unless you have a lot of $$ shooting jacketed bullets will break you up. And if the 440 gr. hard cast out a .500 won't kill it you shouldn't be shooting at it anyway.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Hard cast lead with a wide flat nose, heavy as you can get and handle shooting in the 1100-1300fps range. If you don't reload CorBon makes good stuff.
    I haven't shot a phone book with them, but the Buffalo Bore 500 S&W 440 gr LFN at 1325 fps and 1715 ft lbs (listed on the box) I carry in mine has amazing penetration as witnessed by hitting some tree stumps. They make 2 other more stout loads. I have shot a number of hogs with Buffalo Bore and Garretts and a black bear with a Garrett- all with absolutely fantastic penetration. Despite what one frequent poster says about the hard cast being the wrong bullet- it is what I trust my own life with when roaming/fishing with large bears around.